The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Dusty53, glenns towing, Jlsandov321, fonz8261, fixite7, Darling), 135 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,106
Posts1,046,730
Members46,192
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1439391 Sun Jan 30 2022 08:27 AM
G
'Bolter
Hello everyone,
I have my lste Grandpas 1948 GMC FC101 and I am currently looking for the front bumper brackets. I have the originals but one is broken. I cannot find them anywhere and I am wondering if these are specific. I purchased some at a swap that were off of a 1953 Chevy 3100 but the bolt holes did not line up with the original bumper. The bolt holes on my Grandpas bumper have about 21" in between and the brackets I purchased have about 18" in between. The shape of them are different as well. In topnof thaylt, he mounting holes did not line up with the frame, and they stuck out way further than the original brackets. I attached photos of the new brackets and one of the originals. You can see the difference.
My question is if I order new brackets from anywhere will they also NOT fit and do I need to find these exact brackets? Any info and help will be appreciated. Thank you.
(Note: The bumper that is with the brackets is not the original bumper. That bumper bolted perfectly)

[img]http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2sVuJvUAqNjs9pp7[/img]
[img]http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vb4p6RrsdLK8s5V8[/img]

Attached Images
20220129_134918.jpg (193.63 KB, 61 downloads)

Grandpas_48
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Welcome to the Stovebolt forums smile

According to the vendors, the bumper brackets for Chevy and GMC are the same. Are you sure that the bumper you're trying to mount is an original? Those brackets in your one pic I can see look very much like mine.
[on edit] I was able to open your photos (leaving off the first http://) and brackets in your first photo look nothing like the ones that would be correct. I think your brackets and bumper that came on your truck are not original.

By the way, your image links didn't work (even when I pasted them into a browser window.) In order to post links to pics out on the web, you need to use the link icon (the little world/chain icon). Or even better if the image is on your computer use the Attachment manager (visible on the lower portion of your screen when you're in the full editor mode when posting.) Full instructions are in the box on the lower left of your screen when viewing posts.

Also you should post an introduction to yourself and your truck in the Welcome Centre

Last edited by klhansen; Sun Jan 30 2022 11:40 PM.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
G
'Bolter
Thank you for the heads up. I just posted in the Welcome Centre. So the bumper with the older bracket had always been on the truck but I guess it could be from another vehicle. When I installed the new brackets I got from the swap the bumper stuck out way passed the splash apron. It didn't look right. I will attach the photo of the truck with the bumper it always had.

Grandpas_48
S
'Bolter
1947, and 48 model GMC 1/2 ton- 1 ton front bumpers are a completely different bumper from a 47-54 Chevy, or 49-54 GMC, and will take a entirely different bracket setup. The grilles, are also different. Left pic.1947/48 1/2- 1 ton bumper, and grille, Right pic. 1949-54 1/2 ton- 1 ton bumper, and grille. As you can see the 47/48 bumper is more rounded like a car bumper. The grilles in the 47, and 48 pickups have the same look as the bigger trucks.

Attached Images
20220201_091943.jpg (33.59 KB, 37 downloads)
20220201_092239.jpg (14.75 KB, 37 downloads)

Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
T
Professional procrastinator
Spanky is correct in saying the 47-48 bumpers are different than the rest. Additionaly, 47 bumpers are different from 48 bumpers and are identified by 8 bumper bolts instead of 4. The brackets are the same for both 47 and 48 GMC. Which bracket do you need? The left or the right? The brackets are two pieces each side, do you need both or only one? Maybe you can send me a pic of what you have that is broken and I can identify it. I probably have what you need. aarv.rich@gmail.com

Attached Images
DSC_1360 (2).JPG (311.61 KB, 24 downloads)
47 bumper

1947.2 GMC 1/2T panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T pick-up

Moderated by  Gdads51, John Milliman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop