The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (78buckshot, rgie, DougH6100, Paul_WNC, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,706
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Whatcha putt'n off & King Pins and bushings and motor mounts, just do it.
#1438110 Fri Jan 21 2022 03:26 AM
M
'Bolter
By nature, I'm a procrastinator. Been that way pretty much all my life. That said I finally got off my lazy rear what with winter weather making it nice to work in the shop, rather than on any of the truck load of outdoor projects. My recent distasteful projects are in the thread title, yours are likely something else. But I just finished the king pin project today and the results were even better than I imagined.

John (the boss) has been saying for a while that with a freshened up front end under his '49 one ton, he can't see why anyone needs power steering. I now agree. I've been grinning since I got back from a test drive after replacing king pins, bushings and cleaning, greasing and adjusting the still serviceable tierod ends and drag link. Along with flushing the steering sector and filling with TSC 00 grease.

The old '51 drives GREAT. Easy to steer, no slack and an unexpected bonus, it seems to be quieter on rough roads.

The above along with new motor mounts recently (that solved a pretty bad take off shudder) have taken a reasonably decent driver and made it a pleasure to drive.

I'm betting most have similar projects that are easy to put off. As my ex VP boss said when I put off a complicated report he wanted (but really didn't need), Just Do It.

So whatcha putt'n off?

You can thank me later.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Fri Jan 21 2022 03:55 AM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Whatcha putt'n off & King Pins and bushings and motor mounts, just do it.
moparguy #1438123 Fri Jan 21 2022 11:20 AM
'Bolter
I absolutely agree with you about the joy it brings, even some small issue that has bugged us for a while brings a smile when we get it fixed.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
moparguy #1438134 Fri Jan 21 2022 01:22 PM
D
'Bolter
I replaced my kingpins on my 54 3100 last year. I had the same experience. I couldn't stop grinning and wondered how power steering could be any better. I did not know how bad it was until I had them replaced. If anyone else is planning to do here is a couple things to consider. I tried to do it myself. I beat, I heated with a torch and I cussed. I could not get the old kingpins out. I finally pulled the entire front axle out. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Even after I had the axle out and better access to swing a hammer I could not knock them out. I took the entire axle to a local machine shop and had them replace the kingpins. It cost about $200 but was well worth it. My suggestion, if they don't come out with a little persuasion don't waste your time. Pull the axle and take it to a shop. Well worth it. Your time and frustration has value.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
moparguy #1438141 Fri Jan 21 2022 02:48 PM
J
'Bolter
Yep, still putting my king pins off.

But good to hear it was worth the effort when you finally did it.

moparguy #1438150 Fri Jan 21 2022 03:39 PM
G
'Bolter
I'm putting off electric wiper conversion, but I justify my procrastination by never driving it in the rain!

I guess what I'm really putting off is buying a 2nd stovebolt.... smile

-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

moparguy #1438164 Fri Jan 21 2022 06:25 PM
J
'Bolter
Also putting off fixing what appears to be a pretty significant leak at the front pinion seal.

moparguy #1438296 Sat Jan 22 2022 06:11 PM
L
'Bolter
When I got my 56, I replaced or repaired most of the moving parts on the suspension, except the king pins. They are original, but they take grease and when I push and pull on the tires, they don’t move at all. So I’ll keep putting that job off for a while longer.

Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
dgrinnan #1438311 Sat Jan 22 2022 07:29 PM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by dgrinnan
I replaced my kingpins on my 54 3100 last year. I had the same experience. I couldn't stop grinning and wondered how power steering could be any better. I did not know how bad it was until I had them replaced. If anyone else is planning to do here is a couple things to consider. I tried to do it myself. I beat, I heated with a torch and I cussed. I could not get the old kingpins out. I finally pulled the entire front axle out. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Even after I had the axle out and better access to swing a hammer I could not knock them out. I took the entire axle to a local machine shop and had them replace the kingpins. It cost about $200 but was well worth it. My suggestion, if they don't come out with a little persuasion don't waste your time. Pull the axle and take it to a shop. Well worth it. Your time and frustration has value.

I had the exact same experience except a buddy has a hydraulic press. He popped the kingpins out, I did the rest.

I am putting off (dreading) replacing the steering box. The truck is a little floaty. (47 GMC)

moparguy #1438323 Sat Jan 22 2022 09:46 PM
'Bolter
Just Mark, have you tried adjusting the steering gear, it made a huge improvement on mine and I only adjusted the sector. When I tackle the king pins I'll have the drag link off and plan on going back through the gear adjustment. With a small amount of slop in my king pins it multiplies to a noticeable amount of movement at the top and bottom of my tires since they are about 39" in diameter.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
LeeD #1438328 Sat Jan 22 2022 11:09 PM
'Bolter
Originally Posted by LeeD
When I got my 56, I replaced or repaired most of the moving parts on the suspension, except the king pins. They are original, but they take grease and when I push and pull on the tires, they don’t move at all. So I’ll keep putting that job off for a while longer.

Lee.
You can put that off as long as you don't have any kingpin movement (I'm guessing that you already knew that).

Apparently someone has greased them on schedule throughout the kingpins life.
The operators manual suggests every 1,000 miles. With the vast improvement in road quality, especially very few dirt roads these days, every 1,000 miles is overkill. I do mine every oil change at 3,000 miles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop