The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (55shaker, FrankenChevy, DavidBraley, Justhorsenround, Bill Trotter, 1 invisible), 79 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,027
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cab corner patch rough cost?
#1438070 Thu Jan 20 2022 11:12 PM
M
Moderated
New member here. I'm looking at a 1954 3100 with the typical corner and floor pan rot. I can't tackle this myself. What would a typical body shop charge to weld in two corner and right and left cab floor patch panels? Just a rough guess is helpful to me.
I can repair or replace mechanical items but not skilled to cut and weld. Thanks!

Re: Cab corner patch rough cost?
Mossback #1438178 Fri Jan 21 2022 08:27 PM
F
'Bolter
I had never done patch panels prior to this. Just take your time and watch a few videos first.

If you pay someone to do it I would say three days labor plus.

Last edited by Ferris Bueller; Fri Jan 21 2022 08:30 PM.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

Mossback #1438191 Fri Jan 21 2022 10:30 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I'm going to guess more than 3 days labor for both cab corners and both sides of the floor. $$$$

Check the sticky thread at the top of this forum for tips on MIG welding sheet metal. If you do it yourself, you'll gain skills and it will be done to your satisfaction.

There are lots of non-professionals that have tackled this job (myself included) and we're here to help out. You can add your truck info into a signature in your profile and it will appear in all your posts.

Welcome to Stovebolt smile

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Mossback #1438199 Sat Jan 22 2022 12:00 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
$1000 and up................way up.
VERY HARD FOR US to estimate without seeing good clear pictures. So we could be WAY off. Bottom line is if they know what they are doing it will be very expensive. Assuming corners AND floors.

I did not know how weld and fix rust with my first build either. If it's a hobby, you need to learn from the internet, Stovebolt and practice. There will be many things to do to refurbish the truck. Anyone who is mechanically inclined like you, can do anything mechanical or electrical on old trucks. The Stovebolt is good at fixing, and helping fix, old trucks. Estimating costs is for the shops to determine. This is mostly a DIY site. That's where the fun is. Buy a Mig, with gas, an angle and die grinder and you is us.
I took a course at a local college, learned enough to start practicing. I now have a mig and a stick. Most of the work IS mechanical. Measuring and cutting and tweaking the patch panels that are available to repair what you have. You could save money by doing that work and just tacking all in place. Then have someone come over and finish the weld. You can watch them because you will have a helmet.
There are hundreds of posts here covering every question about welding sheet metal, repairing exactly what you have. Covering welders, prep, practice, cutting, fitting, buying patch panels, tweaking them, how to avoid mistakes, structural advice and moral support. Sometimes even actual help if someone is nearby.

I see you are a Retired Boeing person.

I have an engineering connection to Boeing also. If I can learn welding, you certainly can. The welder can be used for many other purposes.

Last edited by bartamos; Sun Jan 23 2022 08:13 AM.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Mossback #1438209 Sat Jan 22 2022 01:15 AM
'Bolter
If you have rust through in the cab corners, you likely will also need to have the inner cab corners replaced. The rocker panel Is attached to the inner cab corner, so that may need some work too.
That's why I hate these trucks. All 4 of them...

Mossback #1438634 Mon Jan 24 2022 10:58 PM
M
Moderated
Thank you all very much for your helpful answer. I know my question was very general but you all gave great advise.
Taking a basic welding class at my local Community College clearly is the way to go. I've watched a number of YouTube videos and have an understanding of what this entails. Once I take a class I'll have a better understanding if buying a modestly rusted truck is a viable choice.
Thanks again!

Mossback #1438637 Mon Jan 24 2022 11:31 PM
M
Moderated
I owe you .02 cents Baramos! ;^) Yes, I worked at Boeing for 35 years as a machinist.

52 Carl, LOL hate all four of your trucks. It is a love-hate I get that.

Klhanson, thanks for pointing me to the sticky. I missed that, good stuff.

Ferris, yes I saw from the YouTube videos I think you are correct around three days labor$$$$$$$$$. Much better if I were to do the patch welding even if were not perfect and had the body shop finish and prime.

Mossback #1438644 Tue Jan 25 2022 12:26 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
That's why buying one that has limited rust, and paying a little more is the best bet. At least you are the west coast. I don't know if you are in a state that uses salt on the roads. Hope not. Come down to AZ or CA and buy a truck. We have a few.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

klhansen #1438701 Tue Jan 25 2022 02:31 PM
F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
I'm going to guess more than 3 days labor for both cab corners and both sides of the floor. $$$$

I figured 3 days for just the cab corners. I have watched a friend of mine do this and he is able to fly through this especially with pre fabb'ed pieces.

After doing some of my own work and learning how to do it with some complicated patches I am planning on 3 to 5 days to do mine. Of course once I am done the filler takes longer vs a real body shop, but I will get better at it.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

Mossback #1438737 Tue Jan 25 2022 06:21 PM
'Bolter
Mossback - all good info. Also consider the process of finding someone that will actually do the work happily. It is sometimes very hard to find someone willing and able to do the work at the expectation level you desire and timeline you have in mind. Once you find that person hold on to them unless you learn to do it yourself, which is what we all encourage.
Worst that can happen? Blow holes in sheet metal that can get to cut out and try again. Patch panels are readily available for all of our sheet metal panels. Buy the mig w/gas. Practice. Use it for all sorts of stuff. It's a goes-with in this hobby.
Also, realize, as suggested, the rust is worser then you know by your initial observations. One thing will lead to another.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures on Photobucket [s160.photobucket.com]

1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop