The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Guitplayer, Harold41, 55_2nd_Series, D B Cooper, Greg_H, DennisM), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,490
Posts1,031,882
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Powder coat dilemma
#1437102 Thu Jan 13 2022 06:05 PM
D
'Bolter
I have done a little research and I don't think there is a solution but thought I would put this out there. Very unique problem.

History:
I recently purchased a project truck from an estate. About 90% into a full off frame restoration. With the exception of the cab all other sheet metal appears to be new. Fenders, bed, hood and running boards. Truck has already been painted, or so I thought but I do not like the previous owners color choice. I was planning on new paint.

Issue:
The PO owned a commercial factory that did powder coating for John Deere. He took advantage of this and after doing a thorough inspection of the truck I have concluded all the sheet metal is powder coated. This would be a great thing if I liked the color choice. I have already spoke with one local paint shop and they will not attempt to paint over powder coat. I also spoke with a local powder coat business and they can not powder coat over powder coat. They would have to strip down to bare metal (significantly adding to cost) and even told me media blasting would not remove the existing powder coating. It would only etch it some.

Thoughts/solutions.
At this point I might have to learn to like the current color.
Any thoughts from the group.

FYI - 1947 Truck is Silver with maroon fenders and running boards. I don't mind the maroon but do not like the silver. The silver really hides the beautiful front badge on the truck. They sort of blend together.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Powder coat dilemma
dgrinnan #1437120 Thu Jan 13 2022 07:58 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
From a quick search, it is possible to paint over powder coating. The main issue is to roughen the surface enough to get your paint to stay on, as powder coating is typically very smooth. I think a brush-off blast would do the trick, or complete sanding, where getting to nooks and crannies would be difficult. That's probably why your paint shop didn't want to take on such a job. Any way you approach it, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Found this on the web. Paint over powder coating. [pittsburghsprayequip.com]

This has been talked about here on stovebolt as well. Link

Last edited by klhansen; Thu Jan 13 2022 08:00 PM.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
dgrinnan #1437122 Thu Jan 13 2022 08:03 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Sand the thing with 180 grit, then spray a DTA (direct to anything) epoxy primer? Prime it, block it, seal it, then color/clear? Or single stage if that's your thing. At least, that's what I would do.

dgrinnan #1437287 Fri Jan 14 2022 10:12 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Silver and maroon sounds like a good combination. How about just changing the color of the front badge?

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

dgrinnan #1437314 Sat Jan 15 2022 01:34 AM
Ex Hall Monitor
One thing to remember when deciding what to do. Paint checking is caused by paint not expanding and contracting as much as, or more than, the surface it's attached to. The thicker the coating, the more likely this will happen. Powder coating is very thick compared to paint. If you decide to paint over the powder coat I'd advise you to remove as much as the powder coat as you can. If you leave it full thickness you'll have a very thick coating and 'could' have checking issues after a period of time.

Last edited by Tiny; Sat Jan 15 2022 01:37 AM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
dgrinnan #1437728 Tue Jan 18 2022 12:51 PM
F
'Bolter
I asked a bodyshop friend of mine who has seen everything in the last 30 years.

He said scuff it, shoot it with primer. Block it if you want, but if it was powdercoated and looks good probably does not need it, and then shoot your flavor of color.

He is assuming it will not be a high end show truck. If it is, then you will have to remove first.

1966 C-10 Step Side. 283, 4spd, 3.73 gear. 60K miles prior to restoration. 507 Paint Code. Currently in 10,000 pieces.
Transmission is done! Rear Suspension is done! Wheels are done! Bed bodywork is done! Soon to order a 383 crate.

dgrinnan #1437735 Tue Jan 18 2022 02:23 PM
D
'Bolter
I appreciate everyone's input. Paint or not paint is a simple question that can be debated all day long. The checking possibility Tiny brings up is the kind of issue/consequence of painting that can really drive a decision. No one wants to go the the effort and expense of something like paint to only have it fail in the near future. I think what really complicates this discussion is the large areas involved. A lot of powder coated parts associated with cars/trucks are typically smaller pieces. Usually wheels or a manifold. I would have to think a large area like a fender or hood increases the risk. Maybe not?

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1437825 Wed Jan 19 2022 02:50 AM
'Bolter
I would bet that there are numerous folks across this country and abroad who would love that truck with that color combination.
If you leave it as is, but find that it won't grow on you, you could sell it for a profit (assuming that you stole it at the auction) and look for another one which you can paint whatever color you desire.

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop