The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (EdPruss, 55shaker, Chris's 46 / 515, Fox, MattMcK, Justhorsenround), 200 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,263
Posts1,053,190
Members46,579
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1437626 Mon Jan 17 2022 05:09 PM
M
'Bolter
I apologize if this is a stupid thought or question. I am new to medium duty trucks so there could be good reason against this idea.

Anyone ever considered welding your Budd 6 bolt centers into a tubeless steel rim? I know the hot rodders and light truck crowd do quite a bit of modding on steel wheels (change rim size, widen, build bead lock rims etc.), but I am not sure why I haven't heard of anyone doing it for medium duty trucks. Maybe just load capacity issues? There are a few shops here in Michigan that build and modify steel wheels but don't list any 22.5", just 20, 22 and the other standard light duty wheel/rim sizes (15,16, etc.).

https://www.heywheel.com/page11.html

$120 for some 22.5" steel rims. Can also get some 20x8 for $100 but I don't think there are any truck tires available in that size, just light truck tires (which may work fine for some depending on use profile). The above links lists their rims as off road only, also, likely for liability and to keep costs down (I am sure it is expensive to get something DOT certified).

Just wondering if someone has looked into that or maybe already done it and it wasn't any cheaper than the available $300 28157 style wheels.

Matt

1957 Chevrolet 6503 with 14' Grain Dump Box
M
'Bolter
I just emailed two shops in the Detroit area, I will let you guys know their thoughts on doing this (welding my centers into new tubeless rims)

Matt

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Any shop that will take on the job of modifying wheels like that probably won't have the liability insurance coverage to address the disastrous consequences when (not if) they fail and cause an accident. I've modified a pretty good sized truckload of wheels for dirt track racing, but the US treasury can't print enough money to make me put one on on a street machine. The guys on the track are aware of the risks of running modified stuff, and they take them willingly. The soccer mom with a minivan full of kids didn't sign on to the challenge of sharing the road with some hotrodder's cobbled-up deathtrap.

Weld-modified wheels have a habit of developing stress cracks at the welds, as several stovebolters have discovered over a lot of years. One huge problem you're going to encounter is the fact that the drop center tubeless wheels won't clear those big brake drums. Tube type wheels have an almost straight center section that just barely clears the drums on the inboard dual. The cost of buying a properly made 22.5" wheel with the right lug bolt pattern is cheap insurance, considering the possible consequences of running something that's ben modified.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!"
Abraham Lincoln

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
M
'Bolter
Makes sense. I assumed there must be some good reason I hadn't read about it. One shop emailed back already with just "No sir, we do not do that". Guessing if the other even responds it will be the same.

Matt

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop