The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (buoymaker, JW51, DaveV, dougs, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,733
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
22.5 steel rims weld in centers
#1437626 Mon Jan 17 2022 05:09 PM
M
'Bolter
I apologize if this is a stupid thought or question. I am new to medium duty trucks so there could be good reason against this idea.

Anyone ever considered welding your Budd 6 bolt centers into a tubeless steel rim? I know the hot rodders and light truck crowd do quite a bit of modding on steel wheels (change rim size, widen, build bead lock rims etc.), but I am not sure why I haven't heard of anyone doing it for medium duty trucks. Maybe just load capacity issues? There are a few shops here in Michigan that build and modify steel wheels but don't list any 22.5", just 20, 22 and the other standard light duty wheel/rim sizes (15,16, etc.).

https://www.heywheel.com/page11.html

$120 for some 22.5" steel rims. Can also get some 20x8 for $100 but I don't think there are any truck tires available in that size, just light truck tires (which may work fine for some depending on use profile). The above links lists their rims as off road only, also, likely for liability and to keep costs down (I am sure it is expensive to get something DOT certified).

Just wondering if someone has looked into that or maybe already done it and it wasn't any cheaper than the available $300 28157 style wheels.

Re: 22.5 steel rims weld in centers
mdkelley #1437628 Mon Jan 17 2022 05:16 PM
M
'Bolter
I just emailed two shops in the Detroit area, I will let you guys know their thoughts on doing this (welding my centers into new tubeless rims)

mdkelley #1437634 Mon Jan 17 2022 05:59 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Any shop that will take on the job of modifying wheels like that probably won't have the liability insurance coverage to address the disastrous consequences when (not if) they fail and cause an accident. I've modified a pretty good sized truckload of wheels for dirt track racing, but the US treasury can't print enough money to make me put one on on a street machine. The guys on the track are aware of the risks of running modified stuff, and they take them willingly. The soccer mom with a minivan full of kids didn't sign on to the challenge of sharing the road with some hotrodder's cobbled-up deathtrap.

Weld-modified wheels have a habit of developing stress cracks at the welds, as several stovebolters have discovered over a lot of years. One huge problem you're going to encounter is the fact that the drop center tubeless wheels won't clear those big brake drums. Tube type wheels have an almost straight center section that just barely clears the drums on the inboard dual. The cost of buying a properly made 22.5" wheel with the right lug bolt pattern is cheap insurance, considering the possible consequences of running something that's ben modified.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
mdkelley #1437647 Mon Jan 17 2022 07:10 PM
M
'Bolter
Makes sense. I assumed there must be some good reason I hadn't read about it. One shop emailed back already with just "No sir, we do not do that". Guessing if the other even responds it will be the same.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop