The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Otto Skorzeny, coilover, KevinW, moparguy, 3 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,707
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HD clutch
#1436966 Wed Jan 12 2022 01:51 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
There have been a couple of threads recently discussing the oddball 9-bolt pressure plates and HD clutches that were available on some of the big bolts. Can anyone think of a reason a regular flywheel couldn't be drilled and tapped for the much less expensive and more available 6 bolt clutch cover that's used on the small block V8's from the 60's and beyond that works with the 11" disc? The transmission input spline is the same, and if an accurate drill/tap job is done, it seems that would be an alternative to trying to find the 9 bolt cover, or getting one rebuilt. A dividing head and a Bridgeport mill or a heavy duty drill press should be all that's required to get the hole spacing right. Comments?
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Re: HD clutch
Hotrod Lincoln #1436975 Wed Jan 12 2022 03:01 AM
L
'Bolter
My clutch is the 9 bolt. I noticed the other day that the flywheel is also drilled and taped for a 6 bolt clutch. I have a 10" rotary table and setting up to do that would not be very hard to do at all. I have a DRO too, so, once you find center of the flywheel it is simply one move and 60 degrees between holes.

Re: HD clutch
Hotrod Lincoln #1437084 Thu Jan 13 2022 03:47 PM
J
'Bolter
I have an 11 inch flywheel that had once been used in a 1953 Corvette that got totalled. It had been drilled and tapped for different pressure plates when I got it. Don't know why, but that's the way it was done. Whatever the story, the holes looked to be all the same. I ended up using a 6 bolt pressure plate for a Chevy V8 and a disc for a Chevy van (I needed a spline that would fit the T5). Once I sorted the throwout bearing and clutch linkage rod length, it was all done.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop