The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (JW51, Otto Skorzeny, Napco Man, d49chevy, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,584
Posts1,032,712
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brakes and parts for GMC 5500(‘72)
#1436535 Sat Jan 08 2022 08:05 AM
G
'Bolter
Hey. So my last post was closed due to talk about rims (please admins, I’m not bringing it up don’t ban me) and I was unable to get an answer to one of my questions I had, which was if anyone had any recommendations for where to get parts or any knowledge of what was originally on the GMC5500. For new folks it’s a dump bed 5500 from 1972, I have a video posted on the old locked form but I can post a new link if need be. Thanks In advanced!

(Heads up, most auto parts stores turn us away, we even had a truck shop laugh and say “oh god” when we tried to get a lug nut we were missing)

Re: Brakes and parts for GMC 5500(‘72)
GMCDumpTruck72 #1436545 Sat Jan 08 2022 01:13 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
There used to be a couple of places in OKC that would reline the shoes you now have. The wheel cylinders can be resleeved with stainless steel by most any willing machine shop. I miss the old Yellow Pages for searching out the smaller, hungry, machine shops that would do this stuff because they enjoyed the work.
Tulsa probably has about the same services available.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436562 Sat Jan 08 2022 04:43 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
NAPA has been a good source for oddball brake parts, as long as someone at the local store is willing to get back into their stash of paper catalogs. When I was working on Ed's big GMC 530, they actually had a source for front wheel cylinders- - - -for $96.00 each- - - -two per wheel! I ended up honing the old ones several thousandths oversize and making new aluminum pistons for them. NAPA had the rubber cylinder cups available on open stock, and they were able to accommodate the oversize bores without leaking. Sometimes it's necessary to get a little creative when working on trucks bigger than a pickup. The demand for those parts just doesn't justify keeping them in stock or making new ones.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
GMCDumpTruck72 #1436564 Sat Jan 08 2022 04:48 PM
M
'Bolter
There are machine shops that sleeve using brass, which will also outlast you.

White Post Restorations in VA comes to mind, they have been doing brakes for antique cars and trucks for decades.

Any NAPA Auto or big truck repair shop should be able to send your shoes out for relining.

Other parts for your truck will need to be sourced the hard way as there are not any big truck vendors...if the part isn't the same as a pickup you'll need to hunt for it. Having a Parts Book will be a big help along the way...if you don't have one ask here and maybe someone can help, that way you can search eBay or post here in the parts wanted section.

Part of the old truck ownership fun is hunting the parts!

Mike B smile

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436616 Sun Jan 09 2022 01:50 AM
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy GMCDumpTruck72, welcome, in order for us to help you we need more information from you about your truck and you need to be more specific with your questions. Larger trucks can be equipped with different components within the same series, there are standard parts and optional ones, for example your truck could come with a 5000 lb. or 7000 lb. front axle. There might be a plate or decal on the inside of the glove box door that will tell you how the truck was equipped when it left the factory, so look for that. Add to that the 70s were a time of change in the braking systems of larger trucks, so we need the most accurate information from you in order to help you find the correct parts for your truck. Keep coming back we'll help you, but you have to help us with the accurate information, good luck.

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436672 Sun Jan 09 2022 03:11 PM
F
'Bolter
GMCDump truck 72 It seems like you are in the heart of big truck country,every time I go thru there I see big 4x4 and 6x6 oil field trucks should be parts but maybe tuff to locate older stuff. Just have to shake the bushes,hunt those old timers down that know what it is.

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436810 Mon Jan 10 2022 04:58 PM
A
'Bolter
Finding 'new' parts specific to the larger trucks is really hard. Be prepared to salvage and rebuild your current parts. Stuff common with the light duty (half ton) trucks is usually available new off the shelf.

That being said, I can find all new brake parts for my truck in stock except for the shoes, drums and booster.

I found new shocks, not much else for the chassis.

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436854 Mon Jan 10 2022 11:16 PM
G
'Bolter
Linking a photo of the SID plate, right now we are trying to figure out the brake booster. It had a small leak. Adding another photo of a part that we think might be broken and can’t seem to identify. It’s part of the brake booster but hopefully we can get it on its own. Any ideas?

Attached Files
image.jpg (146.21 KB, 53 downloads)
GMCDumpTruck72 #1436874 Tue Jan 11 2022 02:49 AM
M
'Bolter
You are holding the Control Valve. Chevrolet calls that housing the "Body" in their parts books.

There should be a model number somewhere on the booster...maybe a tag. With that number any big truck parts house should be able to help.

Mike B smile

GMCDumpTruck72 #1436923 Tue Jan 11 2022 06:01 PM
A
'Bolter
Rebuilt boosters are running 450-500$ everywhere I've looked - if its even in stock. You'll probably have better luck buying parts to rebuild it yourself or send it in for rebuild. Meanwhile I've never seen those sold separate but rebuild kits replace the where items inside them.

I'm buying my parts from Rick Eskew at http://www.remaninc.com/

If I wanted it rebuilt I'd have sent it to "Booster Steve" at http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop