The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (D B Cooper, EdPruss, fiz, aircommando462, 66flea, 2 invisible), 101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,737
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Good news and future plans/options
#1436835 Mon Jan 10 2022 08:59 PM
R
Robby45 Offline OP
'Bolter
Today was an tensive day. Since i have the chevy i couldnt do a decent distance but todat i had my DMV checking day to get a NL title and license plates. After a thorough inspection around and under the vehicle he approved it 💪🏻💪🏻😁. The mechanics liked the truck so that helped. Only still to do was add a frame number on the chassis with a tackmachine. Now i have to wait a day or 2 to get the papers back and we can go start making miles. Today i did my first 130km. Around 80miles. Loved it so far. But that also got me thinking what to do…

I noticed that i have enough power under the hood. I got the 235 engine and she runs good. But when driving (try to drive) 50 mph its noisy. I know its a truck etc. But i think she runs a bit to high in RPM. So a solution is dynamat or somekind of isolation in the cab. But are there mechanical solutions for the high RPM. Who can help me. And keep in mind i live in the Netherlands so parts are not plenty here.

An other thing im thinking of is paint. My chevy is already repainted so i wil not destroy any originality of the truck. But i love the US navy grey. But thats just a cosmetic change which i sitll have time to think about. I normally participate in parades troughout the country with other club members in ww2 vehicles. And i think this truck is a rare sight in this hobby. There not alot of them in the Netherlands.

Below a picture of the drive home from the dmv.

Attached Files
CF3244E2-B29E-47D0-9AAD-3BD70016B804.jpeg (446.78 KB, 391 downloads)
Re: Good news and future plans/options
Robby45 #1436843 Mon Jan 10 2022 09:33 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
These trucks were geared to keep the engine running in the sweet spot (roughly 2800-3000rpm) which is going to sound to the modern ear like it’s about to come apart. Remember back when your truck was built the highway speeds were around 50, so, anything above 45 is going to cause sounds to come up from the road/frame and all moving parts. What you are experiencing is normal.
Yes, there are things, such as dynomat and products like it to soften the sound some. Things can be done to the drivetrain to lower the engine rpm but being located where you are will pose challenges. Good luck, keep on having fun.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Robby45 #1436846 Mon Jan 10 2022 09:41 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
There are gear sets for the rear end that could let you drive higher speeds comfortably but being overseas they would be difficult to get and expensive. Likely you'll just need to learn to live with the noise. Just leave for your destination earlier and enjoy the slower drive.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Robby45 #1436867 Tue Jan 11 2022 01:37 AM
'Bolter
Excuse me if my opinion comes off as too strong-headed, but I am begging you not to change one thing with this truck. That model, in any condition, is hard to find over here in the states.
It is absolutely beautiful even if there are some warts on its body. They are supposed to be noisy. They are supposed to be a challenge to drive. They are supposed to leak fluids. They are supposed to be smelly.
Enjoy it for what it is. It is an absolute gem.

Robby45 #1436870 Tue Jan 11 2022 02:15 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I definitely like the current color scheme. It would be a shame to change that. You could do dynamat and keep that invisible. Being noisy isn't a requirement like Carl thinks.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Robby45 #1436881 Tue Jan 11 2022 04:38 AM
R
'Bolter
That is a beautiful truck!
As mentioned, 50 mph is approaching the upper limits of what the truck is designed for. You can probably squeeze more out of it, but as you've already noticed, it'll sound like it's coming apart. And if you do it enough, it just might!
Take good care of it and it will last a long time.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

Robby45 #1436897 Tue Jan 11 2022 02:11 PM
G
'Bolter
Wow, love your truck, and really like the colors, looks just about perfect for a 40's truck to me. I would enjoy it at 40mph and ensure the drivetrain lasts a long time - no sense to beat on a nice ride like that!

-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

Robby45 #1436908 Tue Jan 11 2022 03:48 PM
M
'Bolter
I'll take a bit of a contrarian position and get on Carl's bandwagon and say I'd pretty much leave it alone. It looks just about perfect to me. It's supposed to sound like it does. That said, the engine noise isn't due to bad stuff, it due to the mechanical fan (and lack of sound damping insulation).

Temporarily add a tachometer, see how fast you're going at say 2600 rpm. My bet is it'll be an acceptable speed for the steering and brakes but will sound like you're going much faster. That's something you can learn to live with, it's just the nature of the beast (confession, before I quieted my '51 down, I'd slip in a set of earplugs when making longish drives).

If, the need for speed becomes too great, look into changing the transmission to one with overdrive. Lots of options to consider. In the USA the Borg Warner/Tremec T5 (5 speed) found in '80s/90's Chevrolet S10 trucks is the transmission of choice. That transmission was used in many other vehicles and when you look at the world market there might be one in your vicinity. It'd likely require a adapter and quite a bit of research and conversation but "may" be a viable option.

When I changed my '51s transmission out to a T5, I bought a correct looking shifter (actually was from a Ford Model A) at a car show/Swap Meet and after tweaking it slightly, welded it to the T5 shifter stub. I've never shared this info before and it's never been mentioned by judges at any car show including concours type shows. A lot of old timers who drove these trucks new haven't noticed this major, yet near invisible change.

Again, NICE truck!

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

moparguy #1436912 Tue Jan 11 2022 04:26 PM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by moparguy
I'll take a bit of a contrarian position and get on Carl's bandwagon and say I'd pretty much leave it alone. It looks just about perfect to me. It's supposed to sound like it does. That said, the engine noise isn't due to bad stuff, it due to the mechanical fan (and lack of sound damping insulation).

Temporarily add a tachometer, see how fast you're going at say 2600 rpm. My bet is it'll be an acceptable speed for the steering and brakes but will sound like you're going much faster. That's something you can learn to live with, it's just the nature of the beast (confession, before I quieted my '51 down, I'd slip in a set of earplugs when making longish drives).

If, the need for speed becomes too great, look into changing the transmission to one with overdrive. Lots of options to consider. In the USA the Borg Warner/Tremec T5 (5 speed) found in '80s/90's Chevrolet S10 trucks is the transmission of choice. That transmission was used in many other vehicles and when you look at the world market there might be one in your vicinity. It'd likely require a adapter and quite a bit of research and conversation but "may" be a viable option.

When I changed my '51s transmission out to a T5, I bought a correct looking shifter (actually was from a Ford Model A) at a car show/Swap Meet and after tweaking it slightly, welded it to the T5 shifter stub. I've never shared this info before and it's never been mentioned by judges at any car show including concours type shows. A lot of old timers who drove these trucks new haven't noticed this major, yet near invisible change.

Again, NICE truck!

RonR

How close were you able to get your shifter to the original location? I’ve done some looking into this swap myself, but have the impression it will move a few inches to the rear no matter what you do.

Robby45 #1436914 Tue Jan 11 2022 04:35 PM
M
'Bolter
JW51, you really can't do anything about the shifter being a few inches further back since that just the way the T5's made. However, it's a easy thing to heat the shifter rod and make the appropriate bends so it both looks fine and gives all the clearance needed to clear the seat when in 2nd. and 4th.

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop