The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (D B Cooper, Larry Parker, JoeDude, JW51, 2 invisible), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,488
Posts1,031,874
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pressure washer question
Hotrod Lincoln #1436477 Fri Jan 07 2022 10:31 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I spent a lot of time using a kerosene-fired pressure washer that would either steam clean or power wash with hot water, depending on the thermostat setting the machine got. It did a far better job of cutting crud than the cold water machines do these days. Since the tree huggers started writing all sorts of regulations for cleaning detergents and methods, getting anything really clean has become a problem. I live out in the boondocks in sight of two county lines, so I pretty well do what I please, including using a box of Tide and a couple of cans of lye in a wood fired boiling tank for degreasing. Hot water power washing would just be one more tool in the box.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #1436504 Sat Jan 08 2022 12:55 AM
'Bolter
I agree that the hot water would do a great job, when I worked in the meat industry, we use caustic soda flakes. Steam pressurized hot water and air pressure all out of the same silicone hose would cut any grease including the fat cells in your skin. I don't think your pressure washer will survive.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
Hotrod Lincoln #1436510 Sat Jan 08 2022 01:24 AM
'Bolter
In another life, I used to repair/maintain hot pressure washers for a big rental company.
You won't need auxiliary pump if you if your heating barrel is elevated above the pump. Gravity will do the work. Believe it or not, pressure washers don't consume high volumes of water. One 55 gallon barrel should be enough for most jobs.
As far as the hot water killing your pump, it depends on what style of pump it is. Another consideration is the wand and the hose. Burnt hands and burst lines are no fun.
Nothing cleans a freshly machined block like a hot pressure washer. When you are done the block is dry already. You can watch the flash rust form within seconds.

klhansen #1436544 Sat Jan 08 2022 12:40 PM
M
'Bolter
Originally Posted by klhansen
I just cleaned up my transmission using Crud Cutter and in some places a wire brush. Started with a putty knife to scrape the big chunks off. No pressure washer right now as it's below zero outside and I don't have a drain in my garage.
I used the Crud Cutter with a pressure washer on my engine back when it was warmer and it worked just fine. Crud Cutter is a pretty awesome product.

Kevin, have you used full strength Purple Power degreaser? If so how does Crud Cutter compare?

RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Hotrod Lincoln #1436567 Sat Jan 08 2022 04:51 PM
C
'Bolter
We have two pressure washers, a high pressure one for parts/engine cleaning and a lower pressure (2500#) one for paint booth wash down. The road people have our water cut off a lot so we put two large saddle tanks from an over the road semi tractor in the bed of a 10 yard dump truck and filled one with warm soapy water and the other with rinse water. A 45psi air line was run to the top of the tanks and an outlet on the bottom to the pressure washer. Worked well with no pump damage which may be a result of the clean water rinse. The dump truck was for shrapnel protection since we didn't know if the aluminum tanks could take the air pressure. Warm soapy water definitely cleans better.
Jerry, I'd bet the steam/hot water machine was a "Hotsy" There were everywhere with most being done in by freezing weather and coil left undrained.

Evan
moparguy #1436581 Sat Jan 08 2022 07:04 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by moparguy
Kevin, have you used full strength Purple Power degreaser? If so how does Crud Cutter compare?

RonR
I have not tried Purple Power. Crud Cutter works well for me. It's spray on/wipe off, but I use a wire brush also on the really heavy buildup. I also use it in a small cup for degreasing fasteners. I may try it when I run out of Crud Cutter.

Back on the pressure washer topic: I've found that I have to throttle back on the water supply quite a bit to be able to suck the detergent into it. Too much pressure (we have 75+psi here at the house. If the hose valve is full open I don't get any detergent.
Evan, you probably only needed 5 psi or so on the air line to those fuel tanks. They aren't rated for very high pressure, so putting them in the dump truck was a good idea with that 45 psi. You're still with us, so they must have held that 45 psi OK. thumbs_up

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Hotrod Lincoln #1436584 Sat Jan 08 2022 07:14 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I like asilverblazer's response. Extend the exhaust, make a high pressure coil around it AFTER the pump.

Hotrod Lincoln #1436714 Sun Jan 09 2022 08:41 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Unless the exhaust pipe is several feet long, and made of copper, I doubt if there would be enough heat transfer to even get the water warm. Maybe if I could find a copper alloy capable of handling the output pressure of the power washer, and silver solder several wraps of it to the exhaust pipe, I might get enough heat. It would probably be simpler to coil up several feet of 1/2" copper tubing and blow the output of a kerosene or diesel powered turbo heater over it once the water leaves the pressure washer.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #1436725 Sun Jan 09 2022 09:25 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Encapsulation. You see a lot of that stuff with gold dredgers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop