The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Bowtie70ss, Dodgecummins, breezy, dougs, D B Cooper, buoymaker, 1 invisible), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,512
Posts1,032,081
Members45,794
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
18 " split rims to modern rims
#1435970 Tue Jan 04 2022 03:39 AM
J
J chevy Offline OP
Moderated
Any one out there had their old split rims converted into modern tube less rims?
I have a 63 C30 1 ton flat bed that I would love to keep the original look but not the danger of the split rims and tubes. Thanks!

Re: 18 " split rims to modern rims
J chevy #1436015 Tue Jan 04 2022 05:18 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
A few of our members have tried to graft the old style wheel centers into modern drop center tubeless tire rims. They almost always end up with clearance problems over those massive brake drums. Unless you go to a larger tire like a 19.5" tubeless, for instance, there's no room for the drop center to fit over the drum, particularly on the inside dual. A good condition multi-piece 18" wheel is not dangerous if it's assembled and inflated properly. It's the snowflakes with lace on their drawers who get a case of the vapors when they get into the same zip code as one of them that's the real problem.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #1436017 Tue Jan 04 2022 06:10 PM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
A good condition multi-piece 18" wheel is not dangerous if it's assembled and inflated properly.
Jerry

These wheels are safe, not that hard to service.

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
J chevy #1436124 Wed Jan 05 2022 04:17 AM
J
J chevy Offline OP
Moderated
Ok. I appreciate the info. I'll take a good look at the rims condition. I was a truck and heavy equipment tire man early in my days and back in the 80s you couldn't get anyone to service the two piece rims. I've done a lot of locking ring wheels on the 10.00 x 20" tires and several people I know have been hurt by them mostly due to not doing it properly. Im not afraid of the rims but I do not have the proper tools to service them anymore.A tire Cage is the main thing and still no one will even look at them when I called several truck tire service companies. Their insurance doesn't cover it! I may just do a complete front and rear swap to modern differential and front hubs.
Jim

J chevy #1436162 Wed Jan 05 2022 04:01 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
A duckbill hammer, a couple of pry bars, and a piece of heavy duty tow chain was all the equipment I ever needed. Hauling a tire cage around on a service truck just wasn't an option. Firestone RH-5's are a different subject, but I've never seen an 18" wheel with that design. All of the ones I've seen are either 2 or 3 piece lock ring style, or the old single ring types that are pried on and off the main wheel. Those can be pretty sketchy if they're rust damaged. My 1958 3800 had those wheels, and I had to discard and disable a couple of them. Fortunately, better condition replacements were still available from salvage yards back then.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop