The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (55shaker, 53 green 1- ton, DavidBraley, Chris's 46 / 515, 3 invisible), 104 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,026
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gotta a question about honor and a Man’s word
tom moore #1435755 Sun Jan 02 2022 07:50 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Through a series of Ebay transactions I ended up with a spare gearbox for a lathe I was repairing- - - - -one that was almost, but not quite what I needed. I put it up for sale at a reasonable "Buy It Now" asking price, and received a few responses. Those included someone who was almost ready to commit to the purchase, but he started to nitpick the item- - - -a missing spring cap for an oiler cup, a little surface rust here and there, etc. I solved the problem- - - - -doubled the asking price, and told him to quit bothering me. I hate a slimy weasel who wants to take unfair advantage of a seller who has negotiated in good faith. The gearbox is still sitting where it's been for the past 10 years, and it's not eating anything!
jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
tom moore #1435815 Mon Jan 03 2022 03:24 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by tom moore
So… the long story here and why I posted this was… a young fella promised to buy a truck. Spent a lot of time with him and it came to the day when he was going to deposit money. A lot of promises and plans. We agreed to a price and agreed it was sold. On the day of the deposit he backed out. I get it … nothing is for sure until the money is in hand. I came to find out this was his first foray into buying antique trucks and neglected to factor in the cost for shipping and his inexperience showed.

I called him back and took off the cost for shipping from the truck to help him out and get started in the hobby. All of us start somewhere and it’s hard when raising the money for a father son project while trying to make ends meet. I’m taking a loss but, as MnSmith said above - life is too short. I told him to help a young person out who wants to fix up an old truck someday in the future.

The irony of it…I feel better about doing this than making money off of him. I made a new friend and respect was earned. Not a bad paycheck after-all.
Tom
You're a good guy for doing that. thumbs_up
Hope your good will in that deal comes back to you. smile

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
tom moore #1436006 Tue Jan 04 2022 03:56 PM
S
'Bolter
Great insight Mr. Tom Moore. I have really enjoyed reading this thread!

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
tom moore #1436024 Tue Jan 04 2022 07:02 PM
T
'Bolter
thanks to both - but I have to admit I was on the negative side of annoyance at first. It took me a few hours to think it through - and put myself in his shoes. Once I got to that point of understanding- it was easy.

tom moore #1436025 Tue Jan 04 2022 07:06 PM
I
Retired Construction Worker
I too,,, want to give you a thumbs up Tom .. great story ..

Directions are just another mans Opinion

tom moore #1436210 Wed Jan 05 2022 10:46 PM
S
'Bolter
My widowed neighbour wanted a small truck and saw an ad online for a Ford Ranger. It was low mileage and in great shape. She called and the seller told her that she was the first call she would first dibs on it. She went to buy it a few days later and despite other inquiries, she bought the truck. It is what was advertised.

My last car was an 81 Malibu four door. I really loved the car and everyone knew it. One day I foolishly decided I would sell it and the person whom I knew wanted it badly. He came by, we shook on the deal and he would come back for it. He came back and told me everyone knew how much I loved that car and he thought I should just keep it. I said thanks but we shook on it and it is yours. He said no. He appreciated my keeping my word but he knew I should keep it. I did for another 10 years - I owned it for almost 20 years - until it was so badly rusted it had to go. I sold it to a college kid and it sat in his driveway for about 2 years then vanished. I keep saying that if I ever found it I would buy it back despite its condition.
Now that I have my beloved Caprice I still would love to have that Malibu back. The Malibu was a little brother to the Caprice. And no I will not sell the Caprice, regardless.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop