The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (DaveV, 78buckshot, Bwienke, Bill Marlow, DES57, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,732
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
truck cost
#1435650 Sun Jan 02 2022 01:50 AM
'
'Bolter
Anybody know how much a '37 half ton cost new?
Thanks
John

Re: truck cost
'37 barn find #1435651 Sun Jan 02 2022 02:04 AM
K
'Bolter
505 dollars was the suggested retail price.

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage [stovebolt.com]
'37 barn find #1435677 Sun Jan 02 2022 04:35 AM
'
'Bolter
Thank you
John

'37 barn find #1437307 Sat Jan 15 2022 12:43 AM
'Bolter
that won't even touch that iconic grill today! LOL

Larry
All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
'37 barn find #1437325 Sat Jan 15 2022 02:29 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Factoring in inflation since '37, that truck would cost ~$10,650. Too bad new trucks aren't in that range. frown

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
'37 barn find #1437366 Sat Jan 15 2022 12:47 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
That's a fact Kevin! Even a low optioned half ton costs as much as I paid for my home.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
'37 barn find #1437375 Sat Jan 15 2022 01:52 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
You have to factor in that trucks come with a lot of things now that reflect the change in use of most light trucks that has occured since 1937, too -- all of which have driven up costs.

In 1937, light trucks (1-ton and smaller) were strictly work and farm use. Only occasionally driven and even at that, mostly for work, not leisure. Look at how our trucks were appointed coming off the assembly line... no carpet ... rubber floor mat ... no radio. And look at the few options -- p-side wiper ... p-side mirror ... radio ... dealer-installed turn signals ... incab heater ...

Compare that with how base model trucks come off the assembly line today and what options you can get.

In 1937, you drove a truck because you had to. They weren't stylish. They weren't comfortable. They drove like ... trucks. The moment you could, you parked it. Washed up and got in a car lest anyone think you a "working man" or a farmer ... or ... poor.

Illustration of my point -- I have a brother in law who was a salesman for a major fire protection equipment company. He drives around all day with a load of fire extinguishers and other day to day stuff associated with his sales and support. To do this, he has a nice company vehicle -- a Chevy 1/2-ton with a bed cover. The truck has all the ammenities you'd want for a day spent on the road (5 days a week). In 1937, he would have driven a "Business Coupe." Even if your body could stand riding a daily circuit in a truck of the period, just showing up in one would not be impressive to a potential customer -- he'd think you were there to fix the plumbing or something.

Trucks today ... well, I doubt I need to go over modern trucks. Look at the 40-somethings who have white collar jobs who buy duallie pickups just because they want to look manly ... or cool... And look at how they are equipped ... basically Lincoln Navigators with big open trunks. Carpeting ... Sat radio and navigation ... cruise control ... integrated phone ... power windows, leather heated seats ... parking assist (how utterly girlie is THAT??). Sorry, but if you need parking assist to park your 1/2-ton truck ... get out and ask your mom to park it for you (and start working on your man bun ...).

Try finding a light truck anymore with a manual transmission ...

My point being, not that any of you asked or probably even care, is that its hard to compare 1937 truck prices to 2022 truck prices unless you somehow account for the vast changes in usage. Seems to me, the modern market place (for light trucks) is responding to a demand for cars with a few additional capabilities and that look more macho than just a car.

Which is probably why, at least in North America, the whole El Camino thing didn't work out -- It still looked too much like a car.

In 1937, a truck was a truck was a truck.
In 2022 ... there are no trucks as we know them.

Ergo -- difficult, at best, to draw meaningful comparisons. BUT ... after saying all that wink ... If you *could* order a 1/2-ton without all the girlieman nonsense (i.e., just a basic truck for work), I bet after factoring inflation, the prices might be a little more similar...

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

'37 barn find #1437377 Sat Jan 15 2022 02:14 PM
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Which is probably why, at least in North America, the whole El Camino thing didn't work out -- It still looked too much like a car.

I was twice told that very light trucks (like the El Camino and others) are not considered to be trucks in the Stovebolt.com truck forums and posts? Even though they are listed/displayed in Truck Data books.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
'37 barn find #1437406 Sat Jan 15 2022 07:28 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
"parking assist (how utterly girlie is THAT??). Sorry, but if you need parking assist to park your 1/2-ton truck ... get out and ask your mom to park it for you (and start working on your man bun ...)."
I couldn't agree more John. Every time the backup sensors in the wife's car go off, I yell "Shut up, Car, I know it's back there". wink

"Try finding a light truck anymore with a manual transmission ..." frown That's probably why I'll likely die owning the last new truck I bought in 1999. Just keep fixing it. It even has crank windows.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
'37 barn find #1437447 Sat Jan 15 2022 11:16 PM
M
'Bolter
They have a class in drag racing now for "stick shift H pattern" it's not a big class.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop