The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (2ManyTrucks, Eureka Jim, Rabaut, Hotrod Lincoln, delky), 78 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,225
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
SuziQ #1435087 Wed Dec 29 2021 06:40 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Make another post or two so you can get access to the PM feature, and send me a private message. I'm close enough to make a road trip to help get the engine going.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
G
Insomniac
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Make another post or two so you can get access to the PM feature, and send me a private message. I'm close enough to make a road trip to help get the engine going.
Jerry

That's a nice offer!

They can't PM you, but you could PM them with your contact info.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
SuziQ #1435101 Wed Dec 29 2021 08:03 PM
H
The PM block works both ways. Hands-on work, or even a phone call, works a lot better than a bunch of confusing diagnosis suggestions. They're about 100 miles southwest of me.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

SuziQ #1435111 Wed Dec 29 2021 08:51 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
If you are arranging for a stovebolter to come and help, let us know so we can back off. If not, I will post the necessary info. I do see a problem or three.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

SuziQ #1435196 Thu Dec 30 2021 10:58 AM
S
SuziQ Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks to all who are so willing to help with their expertise! We certainly appreciate all the help we can get since we are new to this. I am totally in love with my ‘49 and can tell I share that with all you fellow members! It has been so much fun learning about the 235 inline 6 engine and each baby-step progression getting us closer to hearing her run, the first time in many many years!

SuziQ #1435201 Thu Dec 30 2021 12:40 PM
'Bolter
I can't wait for the moderated time to go so we can see pictures!! Enjoy the journey, it never stops!

truckernix #1435219 Thu Dec 30 2021 03:26 PM
S
SuziQ Offline OP
'Bolter
I was wondering how I post photos! So there is a time wait for approval? We are new and are still in the learning curve!

SuziQ #1435235 Thu Dec 30 2021 04:55 PM
H
Click on the side bar that's next to the text area on every page. The heading is "image posting policy". I believe you have enough posts now to access all the functions of the site. Newcomers are "moderated" for a few posts to prevent spammers and other undesirables from bothering long time members with their shenanigans.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

SuziQ #1435268 Thu Dec 30 2021 09:23 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
Hi SuziQ, you didn't say but I will assume you have foot stomp starter and still not sure if the starter you bought has the correct pinion gear on it for the flywheel, so be careful. Most Stovebolters keep their 6V starter when converting to 12V. As said, a stock 12V starter will not work with a 6V flywheel.
Can you give us the part number and the vendor of the starter so we can check it out for you? If it's cranking the motor OK without noise, maybe you really have a 6V starter.

I will give you the general wiring to get it started.

The foot start type starter has a button on top. The foot pedal mechanism lever pushes on that button and also makes the pinion gear slide into the flywheel gear. For a 12V conversion you need the type of starter button with what is called a "side terminal". So in other words, it will have a big battery stud terminal and a smaller terminal on the side. The original 6V starter will have a starter button with a big battery stud but not the side terminal. In this explanation the button I speak of is not a button on the dash, we just call that big button mounted on top of starter a button. It's a switch mounted on top that has a button.

So to wire it all up.
1. Positive battery cable to starter button stud.
2. Negative battery cable to a motor bolt (starter motor mounting bolt is good). To be clear, there is no negative "terminal" on starter for battery negative cable.
3. Wire from the starter button side terminal to positive terminal on coil. No lamp switch.
4. Wire from battery positive or from the big starter stud....to one side of ballast. This wire should have a alligator clip on it for now so you can remove wire to stop motor.
5. Other side of ballast to positive terminal on coil.
6. Negative terminal on coil to distributor.
7. You end up with two wires on coil positive.
8. Start motor and report back what happens before changing anything.
9. You sort of had it wired correctly to start motor, but would burn out points in time. It should have started however. Which leads me to the part below.

Additional info to consider:
Keep this in mind. We don't know if it's a wiring thing or not but at least if you follow the instructions it will be right.
We don't know any history of this motor. Was it running good on 6V and you just did a few easy conversion 12V modifications or was it taken apart and put back together. If so: Was the distributor removed and put back correctly. Was it timed. Were the valves adjusted and so on.

Also it can be a fuel problem. It sounds like you don't have the gas tank hooked up, that may be a good thing if truck has been sitting. Squirting gas into carb is OK to see if it fires but it won't run more than 2-3 seconds on those fumes. So maybe that all that is wrong, we don't know. Also, you say it has spark. You can have spark while cranking starter but when you release the foot pedal there will be no spark to continue the running of motor if wired wrong. Also, you need to have a 12V coil that says "EXTERNALLY RESISTED" or "EXTERNAL RESISTOR REQUIRED" . Hopefully you have not burnt the points by a miswire. You have spark. Best place to check is take out a plug, attach it's wire, place the threaded part on clean motor metal and crank. Look for a spark jump. Hopefully the spark plug wires are routed from the distributor correctly according to the firing order. The rotor on the distributor rotates clockwise.

COIL [classicparts.com]

Starter Button [classicparts.com]or starter switch with side terminal. We can discuss why the side terminal later. But it is needed. If you don't have a foot stomp start, I can tell you the wiring for a electro-magnetic solenoid.
The parts linked are available at local auto parts stores like O'reillys, etc.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

SuziQ #1435308 Fri Dec 31 2021 04:03 AM
S
SuziQ Offline OP
'Bolter
Hello Bart! Yes there is a foot stomp starter button. Thanks for all the info! We had unexpected company this evening so have not been able to try these steps but will do first thing in a.m. I’m so excited at the possibility of it starting. Yes I think we need to get a 6v starter instead of the new 12v one. Maybe I can sell it. I think I saw this forum has a selling site for members.
I have a question, why is “EDITED at 4.21” in all red letters? What does that mean? Have I done something wrong??
Thanks
Suz

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop