The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (EdPruss, D B Cooper, fiz, aircommando462, 2 invisible), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,737
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 235 distributers
AwDang #1434853 Mon Dec 27 2021 03:53 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I'm all for eliminating points. I was making a living changing points and condensers every 10K miles when some of the "experts" who post here were still filling their Pampers, or possibly long before that. Using a Pertronix as a trigger is leaning on a weak reed, however. Both GM and Chrysler have 6 cylinder pickup coil and reluctor trigger systems that are far more reliable (and less expensive) than some fragile setup like Pertronix, plus those have close to 50 years of successful operation on millions of vehicles. Either trigger assembly is easily adaptable to the stovebolt distributor by anyone with some basic machining skills and enough of an open mind to try.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
AwDang #1434863 Mon Dec 27 2021 06:54 PM
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Now we can speak openly about mods that ARE NOT ORIGINAL. Thank you mods.

My experience with Pertronics since the late 80’s has been a good experience. Maybe their quality is slipping, don’t know. YesI know it’s possible to trigger coils in several different ways. But as stated, i want to use a stock appearing distributer. Too many heads would explode if I made a new side cover with LS coil mounts!

This is my tinkering and my fun. You’re welcome to your opinion, but I’m going to use the parts I have on hand for the first revision. Will it need refinement? Probably.

Last edited by AwDang; Mon Dec 27 2021 06:55 PM.

Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
AwDang #1434871 Mon Dec 27 2021 08:59 PM
H
"Measure it with a micrometer- - - -mark it with chalk- - - - -cut it off with an ax!" Your choice of a trigger device is fundamentally flawed, unless you're willing to do some major internal modifications to the distributor itself. The manufacturing processes used to make an item that was meant to last maybe 10 years- - - - -60+ years ago- - - -don't lend themselves to working well with modern electronic components.

Since it's becoming painfully apparent that any advice I offer is going to be rejected, I'll back out of this discussion and leave you to repeat the same mistakes I made a few decades ago when I thought I knew everything. Good luck!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Hotrod Lincoln #1434873 Mon Dec 27 2021 09:25 PM
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
"Measure it with a micrometer- - - -mark it with chalk- - - - -cut it off with an ax!" Your choice of a trigger device is fundamentally flawed, unless you're willing to do some major internal modifications to the distributor itself. The manufacturing processes used to make an item that was meant to last maybe 10 years- - - - -60+ years ago- - - -don't lend themselves to working well with modern electronic components.

Since it's becoming painfully apparent that any advice I offer is going to be rejected, I'll back out of this discussion and leave you to repeat the same mistakes I made a few decades ago when I thought I knew everything. Good luck!
Jerry

Thanks for stopping by

Pat
AwDang #1434878 Tue Dec 28 2021 12:26 AM
'Bolter
I used to be a big fan of Pertronix in my 235. The engine ran great, just like one does with a brand new set of points set at the exact point gap.
Then one morning I go out to start it up. No go. I opened the hood and saw that the top of the coil had melted and all of the oil drained out.
I checked to see if I had left the key on. Nope the key wasn't in the ignition. Problem is, the foreign made ignition switch I recently installed did not reach the off position completely before the key could be removed, allowing it to be on without the key in.
I bought a new coil and tried to start it. No go. Pertronix fried from the ignition being left on, but not before it melted the coil.

Moral of the story is that I consider myself to be very fortunate that my truck did not burn to the ground for something as simple as leaving the ignition on. Can the same thing happen with points? I don't know. It does not happen with HEI.

52Carl #1434888 Tue Dec 28 2021 01:53 AM
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I used to be a big fan of Pertronix in my 235. The engine ran great, just like one does with a brand new set of points set at the exact point gap.
Then one morning I go out to start it up. No go. I opened the hood and saw that the top of the coil had melted and all of the oil drained out.
I checked to see if I had left the key on. Nope the key wasn't in the ignition. Problem is, the foreign made ignition switch I recently installed did not reach the off position completely before the key could be removed, allowing it to be on without the key in.
I bought a new coil and tried to start it. No go. Pertronix fried from the ignition being left on, but not before it melted the coil.

Moral of the story is that I consider myself to be very fortunate that my truck did not burn to the ground for something as simple as leaving the ignition on. Can the same thing happen with points? I don't know. It does not happen with HEI.

Would you mind explaining how a bad ignition switch is the fault of the Pertronics?
I’m sure HEI was great, in the 80’s......we’ve mored past that and 3D timing control based on rpm, tps and load make spark tuning so much more accurate.

Pat
AwDang #1434889 Tue Dec 28 2021 01:59 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I was just on the local craigslist site and saw an ad for a Pertronics distributor for $25. The guy said it had died within 4 months of install and got it warrantied by Pertronics, then the module died on that one withing another 2 months. He even still had the box. Kind of reinforces why the other guys are saying to avoid Pertronics.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1434890 Tue Dec 28 2021 02:12 AM
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
O
Originally Posted by klhansen
I was just on the local craigslist site and saw an ad for a Pertronics distributor for $25. The guy said it had died within 4 months of install and got it warrantied by Pertronics, then the module died on that one withing another 2 months. He even still had the box. Kind of reinforces why the other guys are saying to avoid Pertronics.

Here’s a couple truisms of the internet
Whiners are the loudest
Only negative experiences are shared
Luddites like to recruit....

In The Pertronics failures presented only 1 has stated it was an operator/ external error. No one has stated what condition their distributer and/or coil were in at the time of install. None state the condition / age of their wiring. None state their voltage system.

Get over the hate for Pertronics, I’m not listening and you’re wasting your time. I’m sure Hotrod Lincoln has room for you in the special clubhouse. Isn’t the entry token a set of points and condenser, or is it a main jet?

PS, there are Pertronics success stories around here if you read enough old posts.

Last edited by AwDang; Tue Dec 28 2021 02:16 AM.

Pat
AwDang #1434893 Tue Dec 28 2021 02:34 AM
H
We're all waiting with bated breath for the story of your success- - - - -assuming it ever happens!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

AwDang #1434896 Tue Dec 28 2021 03:26 AM
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Good luck, AwDang,

I had no problems with a 6V Pertronix unit. I ran a clean/good ground wire from the block to the distributor clamp. I always carried an another distributor tested/set with points (in fear of the possible disasters posted here) - I never needed it.

However, I chickened-out, and I switched back to regular 6v points/condenser.

Let us know on your year-by-year experience.

Members here have no problem switching to 12 electronics-gizmos.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop