The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!


Who's Online Now
10 members (EdPruss, 67superc, jkarell, Flatblu4748, 55_2nd_Series, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,612
Posts1,041,931
Members46,061
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1434364 Wed Dec 22 2021 12:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 86
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
I need to instal a second coolant temp sensor in the head. The new sensor is 3/8” NPT. My searching leads me to believe the mechanical sensor port on my 235 head is 5/8” straight thread. I’ve seen the available adapters to use that port. But that would leave me without a functional temp gauge.

Where in the head is there enough meat to drill and tap a new port?
I’d go to the T-stat housing but that’s not recommended in the efi instal directions.
Is there a mechanical gauge with an extra long thermocouple to reach the T-stat, that could be an option with Langdons housing.

Thanks


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 151
D
'Bolter
Have you thought about a T in the existing port so you could run two sensors?

What EFI are you installing? I’m very much interested in EFI for my 58, 235 and would like to follow along with your install.


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 86
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
Have you thought about a T in the existing port so you could run two sensors?

What EFI are you installing? I’m very much interested in EFI for my 58, 235 and would like to follow along with your install.

I have, I don’t think there will be enough space with the 2 sensor bulbs in a T configuration.
I’m looking at a Holley Sniper. They have a 1.45” bore 1 barrel set up.


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 151
D
'Bolter
I was doing some planning for the Holley Sniper and thought I came up with a T that would work. That was a year or so ago and my memory is not the greatest anymore but luckily I saved everything I accumulated in a box. I’ll check later today and see if its there.

Is your space constraint due to air cleaner or other interference?

The biggest hurdle for me was going to be the intake stud spacing vs the Holley base boss mismatch. Do you have a solution for that?


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 86
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by D B Cooper
I was doing some planning for the Holley Sniper and thought I came up with a T that would work. That was a year or so ago and my memory is not the greatest anymore but luckily I saved everything I accumulated in a box. I’ll check later today and see if its there.

Is your space constraint due to air cleaner or other interference?

The biggest hurdle for me was going to be the intake stud spacing vs the Holley base boss mismatch. Do you have a solution for that?

I don’t have any space concerns.
I saw the base pattern issue. I’ve got some ideas but wont have a solution until I have parts in hand.


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 24,758
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Tee fittings will give a false (low) reading, since the sensor will be out of the flow of coolant and the extension of the fitting will act like an insulator. The driver's side rear area of the head beside the valve cover flange should have enough thickness to drill and tap for a 3/8" NPT thread. Use pipe dope or brush-on gasket sealer on the sensor threads.
Jerry


"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 86
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Tee fittings will give a false (low) reading, since the sensor will be out of the flow of coolant and the extension of the fitting will act like an insulator. The driver's side rear area of the head beside the valve cover flange should have enough thickness to drill and tap for a 3/8" NPT thread. Use pipe dope or brush-on gasket sealer on the sensor threads.
Jerry

Thanks!


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,384
B
Curmudgeon
Just relaying some information from a web search:

Land Rover Defender with Chevy 250 swap convert to Sniper. Notice the machined adapter.
https://www.defendersource.com/threads/holley-sniper-efi-autolite-1100-gold.165323/

A very long video of an installation on a Ford 6. Some decent heads-up info to watch for.
https://fordsix.com/threads/youtube...all-initial-setup-and-first-start.81748/

Comments:
In common to all kits, the "gotcha" is induced noise (from coil, alternator, starter motor etc.) into the wiring harness and voltage spikes.
Noise can cause out-of-the-blue weird events with engine performance so plan your wiring routing with this in mind.
Voltage spikes (bad battery connection etc.) can turn the "brain box" into useless parts.

Attached Images
Sniper Mounting.jpg (58.32 KB, 77 downloads)

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 86
A
AwDang Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks!


Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 151
D
'Bolter
AwDang,

Please keep us posted on your progress.


Dan

35 CC Case
38 Chevy Pickup
51 3100 AD
58 3100 Apache Fleetside
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5