The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, moparguy, FrankenChevy, Larry P., carbking, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,024
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Floor pan R&R and front cab mount repair
#1433866 Fri Dec 17 2021 05:43 PM
P
'Bolter
Ok… body work is not my forte…in other words I don’t know squat about it. ohwell So I have what may be a couple stupid question to many of you. Can the floor pan on a ‘53 Chevy cab be removed and replaced without completely removing the cab?
And can the front cab mounts be repaired/welded without completely removing the cab?

PaPa Joe
1953 Chevy 3100 [photos.app.goo.gl]
Just like it's owner, old and rusty.
Proverbs 3:5-6 [biblegateway.com]
Re: Floor pan R&R and front cab mount repair
PaPa Joe #1433868 Fri Dec 17 2021 06:03 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Replacing moderate-sized sections of the floor pan can probably be done with the cab on the frame, but swapping the entire thing needs to be done with the cab removed and on a jig or a rotisserie. A cab mount should probably be swapped with the cab removed and reinforced in some way to assure the mount is installed in such a way to prevent distortion of the cab when the new one is bolted to the frame mount bracket.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
PaPa Joe #1433876 Fri Dec 17 2021 08:06 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
What Jerry said. Especially with the front mounts, with the cab off and on a rotisserie, you have better access to do the job properly.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
PaPa Joe #1433914 Fri Dec 17 2021 11:55 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Mid-1960's Ford pickups had the front cab mounts located right behind the front wheels, directly in the spray from rain, snow, salt, etc. They were notorious for rotting out, which would cause the front of the cab to sag and put the steering shaft in a bind. The first thing to fail was usually the "rag joint" at the coupling between the shaft and the steering box. J.C. Whitney sold a replacement cab mount that resembled a big square steel box which protected the rubber mounts from splash. We would jack up the cab until it looked "eyeball level", bolt the cab mounts down, and bolt or weld the repair section into place.

The "shade tree" method was to jack up the front of the cab and support it with a length of 2 X 4 about 2 feet long between the top of the frame rails and the cab, held into place with wood screws through the cab floor!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
PaPa Joe #1433937 Sat Dec 18 2021 02:49 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Here’s what you’d be looking at if you’re going to replace the whole floor in one shot. It’s a pile of work. This is the floor removed from my 70 C10. The cab is thoroughly braced to stop any movement. If you’re going to do the whole thing in one shot, I’d pull the cab personally.

Attached Files
E0ADCDA2-BA4D-4E9C-8C40-BC0682CB422C.jpeg (210.69 KB, 130 downloads)

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.
1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
PaPa Joe #1433955 Sat Dec 18 2021 03:51 AM
P
'Bolter
Thank you all for the great info and advise. You have convinced me to remove the cab from the frame. Now to find a welder….

PaPa Joe
PaPa Joe #1434028 Sat Dec 18 2021 07:15 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by PaPa Joe
Thank you all for the great info and advise. You have convinced me to remove the cab from the frame. Now to find a welder….
Is that the 2 legged kind of welder or a machine that welds? wink
The first one is going to cost you lots of $$$$. The second fewer $$ but possibly more headaches.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
PaPa Joe #1434054 Sun Dec 19 2021 03:09 AM
'Bolter
If the floor from the seat riser to the back of the cab is not shot, you can buy the front floor board halves patch panels and and cab supports, and make your repairs one side at a time without any bracing on the frame. I have done it before on a true basket case.
Since you seem to not own a welder or know someone who will do the welding for you, you may well be over your head on this project.
I know that I was in over my head on my basket case, but with undaunted perseverance and the wonderful folks on this site to steer me along, I was able to pull it off.

PaPa Joe #1434085 Sun Dec 19 2021 04:47 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
PaPa Joe, post a few pictures of what your dealing with. I have seen your truck and it looked reasonably solid, you may be able to just repair one area at a time. I wish you lived closer, I have friend that loves to weld and loves old trucks.

Last edited by TUTS 59; Sun Dec 19 2021 04:48 PM.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
52Carl #1434211 Mon Dec 20 2021 06:14 PM
P
'Bolter
52Carl, It’s the front floor panels. Unfortunately I don’t have a lift, and never really closely inspected the cab floor panels. dang The guy I bought the truck from welded a couple of plain thin sheet panels over the floor panels. Then sprayed thick layer, of what looks like, bed liner over them. And also inside the cab. It covered over a lot of holes and rust. The trans and battery covers are good, as is the floor from the seat frame back. The left front cab mount is just dangling from the cab floor.

TUTS 59, I will try to get some pictures posted. I’m not in a super hurry right now. I have spent my budget this year so I won’t have money to spend until after taxes. cry

PaPa Joe

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop