The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (D B Cooper, 50Chevy3100, buoymaker, 1946GMCDAN, DennisM, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,490
Posts1,031,879
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gasket sealers
JW51 #1433854 Fri Dec 17 2021 04:36 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Originally Posted by JW51
I’ve known some folks to use weatherstrip adhesive to get certain gaskets to stick long enough to get them bolted in place

Around the NASCAR pits, they call that stuff "gorilla snot". Among other things, some pit crews use it to glue lug nuts onto wheels for quick tire changes. The studs have an unthreaded area an inch or so long that the nut slips over as the wheel is installed. It definitely holds a gasket in place, but only use it on one side! It takes a lot of energetic scraping to get the old gasket off the next time the part is removed!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
dgrinnan #1433855 Fri Dec 17 2021 04:47 PM
'Bolter
Whether it's my rig or not, I assume I'll be the next guy that takes it apart. I usually am.

51 3800 PU, 55 235 (w/cam, headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
dgrinnan #1433856 Fri Dec 17 2021 04:54 PM
D
'Bolter
As a kid I remember my dad using something in a bottle similar to a liquid shoe polish bottle. When you unscrewed the cap it had an applicator attached. A larger cotton ball and the stuff looked like molasses. It was some type of gasket shellac if I remember correclty and had a picture of an Indian (Native American) in full head dress. similar to the Tecumseh motor logo. Working on my mini bike and scraping those gaskets off is why I am hesitant to use anything.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1433859 Fri Dec 17 2021 05:08 PM
'Bolter
There is or was, might not still be in use, a sealer that's known variously as Yamabond, Hondabond and I think there's a generic. It was used on Japanese motorcycles in lieu of gaskets. When I worked in the Norton/BMW shop we discovered it could be used to seal the always leaking Norton engines (never on BMWs). When a bike came back (they always did) there was the chore of getting them apart and cleaning the xxbond off the mating surfaces. This was often 50% of the job. The leaking was mostly because of the poor design of the crankcase breather system. In desperation, I installed a VW power brake booster check valve in the hose that ran from the crankcase to the oil tank. This had the effect of evacuating the engine and creating a vacuum only offset by new blowby gasses. The leaking stopped. I had tried various PCV valves that didn't work. We stopped using xxbond. I have used this technique on various other engines with good success and wondered if I could get it to work on my 235 Chev 6, which of course leaks from the rear main seal. Sealing the engine would hopefully stop the leaks.

51 3800 PU, 55 235 (w/cam, headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
dgrinnan #1433865 Fri Dec 17 2021 05:35 PM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by dgrinnan
As a kid I remember my dad using something in a bottle similar to a liquid shoe polish bottle. When you unscrewed the cap it had an applicator attached. A larger cotton ball and the stuff looked like molasses. It was some type of gasket shellac if I remember correclty and had a picture of an Indian (Native American) in full head dress. similar to the Tecumseh motor logo. Working on my mini bike and scraping those gaskets off is why I am hesitant to use anything.

Indianhead Gasket Shellac. I’ve never see the stuff on shelves, but one YouTuber I watch uses it. Apparently still available.

dgrinnan #1433867 Fri Dec 17 2021 05:59 PM
D
'Bolter
That's it, except the bottle I remember was glass and had that stuff spilled down the sides all over the bottle. grin and it was a real fight to unscrew the lid.

Last edited by dgrinnan; Fri Dec 17 2021 06:00 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1433869 Fri Dec 17 2021 06:17 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Indian Head cured harder than woodpecker lips! Getting the cured sealer off so a new gasket could seal effectively was quite a chore. If both sides of the gasket was coated, the parts got glued together pretty firmly. It was not uncommon to bend sheet metal parts like valve covers while removing them when hardening gasket sealer had been used.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #1433881 Fri Dec 17 2021 08:50 PM
J
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Indian Head cured harder than woodpecker lips! Getting the cured sealer off so a new gasket could seal effectively was quite a chore. If both sides of the gasket was coated, the parts got glued together pretty firmly. It was not uncommon to bend sheet metal parts like valve covers while removing them when hardening gasket sealer had been used.
Jerry

Under what circumstances would you need a product like that? Sounds like a PITA.

JW51 #1433897 Fri Dec 17 2021 10:12 PM
F
'Bolter
JW51We used to glue manifold gaskets in place eat dinner (noon) then you could get the manifold in place pretty easy, Used weather strip adhesive on 332 352 390 you know where the intake is about half of the engine !!

dgrinnan #1433898 Fri Dec 17 2021 10:15 PM
F
'Bolter
dgrinnen Early indian head had like a cork with a wood knob,would dry out and go bad pretty quick.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop