The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (66flea, baldeagle, Bri’56-3200, Gray_Ghost, 3800GUY, fixite7, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,525
Posts1,041,268
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JimboTX Offline OP
1954 3100 5 window
All great suggestions. Thank you! Will report back.

Finally bought my uncle's 1954 3100 that has been in the family since new.
A
'Bolter
How about priming the Carb? So then it should start right away and the pump with get "primed" since the fuel in the fuel bowl of the carb with allow the engine to run?

58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

R
'Bolter
I replaced the fuel pump on my 216 after the older one sat idle for months. I couldn’t get fuel to the carburetor. I ended up pulling the fuel line from the filter in line with the carburetor and priming it by using a small funnel and pouring gas in until I assume it went all the way to the tank. I then reattached the line and primed the carburetor and started the engine. I’ve not had any problems since. I’m guessing that these “made in China “ pumps don’t perform as well as the original. My two cents worth. I do not use anything but 100% gas in anything but my off topic truck.

Last edited by Rusty Heaps; Wed Dec 15 2021 01:04 PM.

I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Like Sun used to say, "We test, not guess". One of their tuneup machines had a fuel pump tester- - - -better known as a pressure/vacuum gauge. I've stopped wasting my time trying to tell people how to test a fuel pump. There are a lot of "wheelbarrow mechanics" on Stovebolt- - - -roll a wheelbarrow full of parts up to the truck and start swapping things out- - - -hoping the problem will magically disappear!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
C
'Bolter
Fill the float bowl through the vent tube and start engine. Let the engine do the priming, not the starter.

Evan
J
JimboTX Offline OP
1954 3100 5 window
A quick update. klhansen's idea about the shop vac gave me an idea. I had outfitted my compressed air tank with a "blow" valve to blow the fuel lines out after soaking them with carburetor cleaner. I inserted the blow valve into the fuel filler opening and used duct tape to wrap around and seal it so no air would escape. Wa la! After a few seconds of pressurizing the fuel tank, the fuel made it's way all the way to the glass inline fuel filter and the carburetor!

After a complete replacement of the ignition system - plugs, wires, points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap and coil, it started right up after 4-5 years of sitting. Now trying to figure out why it starts missing and eventually died after idling smoothly until it reached operating temperature. Ideas?

Finally bought my uncle's 1954 3100 that has been in the family since new.
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
You probably have a leaky float valve in the carburetor that allows the fuel level to creep up and eventually flood the engine out after a few minutes of idling. Putting more than a pound or two of air pressure into a stovebolt fuel tank is a really good way to bulge the tank and destroy it.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop