The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (J Lucas, Mike B, Squished, Peggy M, 2 invisible), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,526
Posts1,041,270
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JimboTX Offline OP
1954 3100 5 window
After buying my uncle's 1954 3100 5-window from his widow and my cousins, I discovered the fuel had gone bad and varnished. I pulled the carburetor and took it to get rebuilt. The rebuilder convinced me to replace and/or refurbish the entire fuel system, including a new fuel tank. I've completed the entire system rebuild, and now I'm trying to get the truck started. With the new fuel tank and cleaned out lines all the way to the carburetor, I'm having trouble getting the fuel pump to get the system "primed" and get the new fuel up to the carburetor. Any ideas how to get this new fuel system doing it's thing?

Finally bought my uncle's 1954 3100 that has been in the family since new.
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Take your shop vac and set it up to "blow" and put the nozzle around the gas filler with a rag to seal it. Run it for a few seconds and then try starting. The slight bit of pressure should send fuel to the fuel pump and possibly to the carb.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Ex Hall Monitor
Shouldn't need primed. Work your way from where you have gas to where you don't. Once you don't have gas you found your problem. Start at the gas tank outlet. Loosen the fitting. Do you have gas dripping out? If not you have a restriction in the tank. If so move up the line to the next fitting and remove the line from the supply side of the pump. Do you have fuel running out? If not you probably have a restriction somewhere between the tank and pump. If so test the pump. Follow that procedure as far as you need to to find the stoppage.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I think he said it was all refurbished already, Tiny, but you're right, if the tank is full, there should be gas all the way to the fuel pump and then some.
JimboTX, if you haven't rebuilt the fuel pump, that would be the first suspect on the list. The old dried up gas may have glued the check valves shut, or deteriorated the diaphragm.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
B
Sir Searchalot
EDIT: Sorry about repeating what Kevin and Tiny said. I was typing and correcting my post. Bad timing on my part.

There is no "priming" per se. You just crank the starter and pump the pedal fast til it starts. Could take 30 seconds. Keep the gas cap off til it starts.
You can also squirt gas down carb to encourage it to run for a few seconds to get the pump pumping. I assume you are talking about a mechanical pump. If none of that works, report back. Then we can do an "on-truck" pump test.

If you do the shop vac, be darn sure it does not do what mine sometimes does...........blow dirt because something fell off inside.

The other possibility, of course, is that the shop screwed up..or got some Chineesium parts.

Last edited by bartamos; Tue Dec 14 2021 10:58 PM.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
To avoid undue stress on the starter, loosen the fuel pump bolts a couple of turns and work the pump up and down manually until gas can be seen squirting into the venturi as you work the throttle. If you must use the starter motor for priming remember that it's not intended for extended operation. 30 seconds of continuous running of a starting motor requires a 20 minute cool down before running the starter again.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Ex Hall Monitor
When cranking for an extended period you can pull the spark plugs. With no compression it'll spin like a top. Check every 10-15 seconds and pump the throttle to see if you get gas out of the accelerator pump which would indicate gas in the carburetor. Then reinstall the plugs and crank to start.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
'Bolter
Does your fuel line exit at the sending unit at the top of the tank? If the fuel line fitting at the sending unit is not tight, your pump will only suck air. While you are checking fittings, check all of them all the way to the fuel pump inlet.

W
'Bolter
I have used an outboard gas tank several times (like now) and have used the squeeze bulb on it to prime the fuel pump with a connection beyond the pump disconnected.

Last edited by Wally / Montana; Wed Dec 15 2021 12:30 AM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
B
Sir Searchalot
30 seconds is probably too long to run starter but It will take some time on a new system to get the fuel up there. 15 seconds and wait, then 15 seconds.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop