The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (78buckshot, Bwienke, carbking, DaveV, Leo, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,732
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
66' C10 EZAIRRIDE sort of?
#1433106 Sat Dec 11 2021 11:34 AM
J
JStarr Offline OP
'Bolter
Hi guys, just had this truck imported from Canada to the UK.

I'm 100% new to this & have never owned a classic. So please bare with me it's all a learning curve!

This has some attempt at a custom air ride system, made from what i believe is a Basic EZ air ride kit ( I did email them a couple weeks ago to confirm & I need a 4 way manual switch & new line but they haven't responded)

The brackets all look home made, one has snapped off in transit & all the air lines are fed through poorly, the current switch leaks over a few hours and its just a generally crappy setup.

I'm just wondering if anyone has fitted one before and the way they did it? Just really need some guidance on the safest & strongest way to fit these & ,ake it drivea.

I'm thinking of making some custom bracket for the rears, bring the top part out and make it longer, & situate the entire assembly slightly lower on the frame, but mainly to make the bag sit flat instead of on the **** like it does now.

Im having to replace the lower front arms too as i'm sure the damage on the pictures is a result of the air ride being fitted, I've posted in the Driveline thread about replacement lower arms, but If anyone knows of a better one to help the bag brackets sit better with less modification that would be great!

My overall idea on this is change the switch to a 4 way manual so I can control each corner individually, figure out a way for the air to vent to atmosphere rather than freezing my fingers as it vents out the switch on air out, customise the rear brackets to sit lower & keep the bags level, figure a better air line run & find a better way to fit the new lower control arms & re fit the air bags!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Attached Files
image_11.jpg (179.94 KB, 113 downloads)
image_3.jpg (201.54 KB, 114 downloads)
image_19.jpg (212.54 KB, 113 downloads)
IMG_E4814.JPG (105.85 KB, 111 downloads)
image_2.jpg (179.08 KB, 109 downloads)

Joshy H

Shropshire, UK

66' Chevy C10
Re: 66' C10 EZAIRRIDE sort of?
JStarr #1433123 Sat Dec 11 2021 03:09 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Joshy, some of those welds look questionable. The mounts do look as if they were from a kit of some sort and made to work with your truck. I would really tack a closer look at some of the modifications or have to inspected be a true welder. As far as being able to get in touch with the builders, that seems to be a growing problem. There are a lot of people modifying these old trucks just to sell and make a profit, it often hard to get any answers about specific questions.

The good thing is you have found the "Stovebolt", there are plenty of experienced people here to lend a hand. As far as your lower control arms a tubular design might solve a lot of issues, look at CPP or Brothers Trucks.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
TUTS 59 #1433142 Sat Dec 11 2021 04:39 PM
J
JStarr Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
Joshy, some of those welds look questionable. The mounts do look as if they were from a kit of some sort and made to work with your truck. I would really tack a closer look at some of the modifications or have to inspected be a true welder. As far as being able to get in touch with the builders, that seems to be a growing problem. There are a lot of people modifying these old trucks just to sell and make a profit, it often hard to get any answers about specific questions.

The good thing is you have found the "Stovebolt", there are plenty of experienced people here to lend a hand. As far as your lower control arms a tubular design might solve a lot of issues, look at CPP or Brothers Trucks.

Thanks for the reply Craig, luckily I have an automotive welder for a friend, so he's offered his services for a good price & is planning on teaching me at the same time, so he will be tackling any plating required & the C notch welding and any general metal work.

All of the welding currently on the truck is horrendous, so alot of it, even if still attached will be re-done.

If those rear brackets look like they're from a kit, there shouldn't really be a problem with me having my guy make something new and stronger in a similar design but to the sizes I want then.

Hopefully there's another bagged rider reading the forums!

Thanks again mate!

Joshy H

Shropshire, UK

66' Chevy C10
JStarr #1437593 Mon Jan 17 2022 10:44 AM
J
JStarr Offline OP
'Bolter
Hey guys, just like my control arm thread, I'm going to shut the door on this one as well as the problems have been resolved in a completely different way.

So, as its turned out, they had made some complete disasters for brackets out of whatever they could find & welded in into the frame.

In a blessing it means ive been able to cut the 'new' brackets off & all the 'new' metal they added to make it already 1000% safer, also on the C notch to is added metal that isnt original frame, so ill being rectified as I type this by my welder.

I'm now re locating the air bags back to the original space where the coil spring would have been, using the bag cups & original mounting holes.

Moving everything to the project thread!

Thanks for the help grin

Attached Files
IMG_5817.JPG (276.87 KB, 53 downloads)
IMG_5835.JPG (300.06 KB, 53 downloads)

Joshy H

Shropshire, UK

66' Chevy C10

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop