The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (dirtball, DennisM, Ed Blouch, 49nut, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,510
Posts1,032,069
Members45,794
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Heater Motor Rusts Out -Seized-
#1432108 Thu Dec 02 2021 07:42 PM
B
Bornco Offline OP
'Bolter
Hey...

Do any of you have an issue with your heater motor getting wet and rusting/seizing up? This seems to be happening on my 1965 Chevy dump truck that spends it's life outside. I replaced the motor twice with the same results. The only thing I notice is the replacement motors have a quarter sized hole on the motor housing I assume for venting. I block the hole up like I always have but it still seems to get water inside because the motor is seized and there is evidence of rust inside as you look inside the hole.

Here are my thoughts:
- I just replaced the motor with an older (I assume stock) motor that does not have a hole in the motor housing making me think the hole should not be there.
- There is a hole in the blower housing. Maybe I had the motor clocked wrong and covered the hole meant to let any water out?
- Maybe because the motor hangs upside down in this year truck rather than on it's side like others, you either need a blower motor without the hole -or- I should expect these replacement blower motors to fail because they were really designed to be mounted on their side.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
...Russ

Re: Heater Motor Rusts Out -Seized-
Bornco #1432109 Thu Dec 02 2021 07:53 PM
'Bolter
You are talking about the fan motor I presume. It installs upwards in our trucks. Your experience with seized motors is a first I have heard of. Are you sure your heater core is not leaking? But this does not make sense either since the motor shaft is sealed.
I will be interested in the responses also.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures on Photobucket [s160.photobucket.com]

1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Hambone #1432110 Thu Dec 02 2021 08:07 PM
B
Bornco Offline OP
'Bolter
Hi... Yes the fan motor... I do not think the heater core is leaking because I do not see the tell-tale sign of green. I also looked for any rust holes allowing rain in, but found none.

Bornco #1432114 Thu Dec 02 2021 08:56 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I believe those motors with the hole in the housing are also supposed to have a rubber vent tube with a grommet-style groove installed in the hole. The ones I've seen with the vent wrap around the motor housing so the bottom of the vent tune points down.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Bornco #1432495 Mon Dec 06 2021 05:11 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Is that vent tube hole actually a drain? Is it possible the motor is creating condensation from heating up and cooling off which is then sitting in the motor?

I’m totally guessing here...

Last edited by Fox; Mon Dec 06 2021 05:11 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.
1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Bornco #1432508 Mon Dec 06 2021 01:25 PM
B
Bornco Offline OP
'Bolter
Hey Jerry and Fox...

The replacement motors come with a plug now to cover the hole. I have used a home made plug in the past, but it just seems the quality of these motors might be the issue now. I believe they probably do well on there side (horizontal) but not so well when used upside down (vertically).

I do remember seeing a rubber vent tube in the past (I have had these years trucks for over 30 years), but haven't in a while. I wonder if that would vent and also help prevent water from seeping in???

One more comment to Hambone... Another reason I know the heater core is not leaking is the fact the defroster works as expected. Usually if the heater core is leaking, it will fog up the windshield when the defroster is on.

On a side note, the replacement "original" blower motor I found seems to be working for now, but it is making noises (age?) and I expect the need to replace it so I bought another new blower motor which came with the plug, so the mystery will continue... I guess I am getting tire of replacing the motor every year or every other year at the start of fall when you tend to need the defroster.

Bornco #1432538 Mon Dec 06 2021 05:56 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
A small bead of RTV sealer around the plug might be a good idea, to be sure any rain or condensation can't get into the motor windings.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop