The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (65c20, MikeE, MNSmith, JW51, TooMany2count, Bill Hanlon), 101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,980
Posts1,036,173
Members45,904
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1432528 Mon Dec 06 2021 03:51 PM
M
'Bolter
I always wanted a 5 window AD truck, but didn't like the prices of decent ones. So, I bought a project basket case project a few years ago. I'm now into my second year of work on it, and it has become very clear why nice ones are pricey. Every 15 minute job actually takes 2 to 3 days. I should have known this, because this is not my first time restoring a vehicle. Every old part must be refurbished prior to use. None of the reproduction parts fit, and many are not up to the quality standards you want for your truck anyway. You probably can't tell it, but I'm a bit frustrated this morning.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
Mike Burns #1432532 Mon Dec 06 2021 04:16 PM
J
'Bolter
Ditto. My trucks' "birthday" to me is 4 years, this month.....many birth defects and not too near completed. I bought sight-unseen off of Ebay. It is my first and probably last restore. I'm a shade tree "mechanic" at best.

54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system.
JB Weld..."I put that sh*t on everything"
Mike Burns #1432534 Mon Dec 06 2021 04:20 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
That's one of the reasons it's generally not a good idea to use vintage vehicles as a way to make money. With a few exceptions the only entities that make money restoring old vehicles are the shops who get paid to do the work on them. I have far more money in my 38 and 53 than I could ever get out of them.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Mike Burns #1432535 Mon Dec 06 2021 04:20 PM
D
'Bolter
I can't speak for anyone else. I went in eyes wide open. I took the restoration path because of cost. I can do most of the work and I don't have to pay someone else for their work and I can spread the cost over time. I did know i would probably have more in the truck than I could sell it for. I just bought a second project from an estate. 90% complete from an off the frame restoration. I am now discovering a bunch of missing parts that I now need to track down and most of them are used and need their own restoration work. I feel your pain. Not 2 years worth but I get it. It has kind of become a joke. I initially say I can "fix that in about 30 minutes" and end up taking 5-6 hours. My first truck has been on the road for about 5 years.

Last edited by dgrinnan; Mon Dec 06 2021 04:25 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Mike Burns #1432537 Mon Dec 06 2021 05:27 PM
'Bolter
Just think of it as a master's degree. You pay to educate yourself. Once complete you have the knowledge and experience and diploma (operating vehicle) to prove it. Also comforting to know that we all are in the same pool. Paying to play.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures on Photobucket [s160.photobucket.com]

1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Mike Burns #1432551 Mon Dec 06 2021 07:58 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
The idea is it does save a heap of money and you are supposed to get relaxation, sense of accomplishment doing it yourself, learning new things, no schedules, rewarding. Every single person who has ever started with a basket case or rough truck to fix up or renew or refurbish or restore...........takes a long time, gets tired of it off and on, frustrated, lose interest from time to time, gets sore and beat up. But most re enjoy it after a hiatus. You don't really look for a light at the end of the tunnel, you just do one thing at a time.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Mike Burns #1432553 Mon Dec 06 2021 08:23 PM
T
'Bolter
I’ll speak for myself and say that I work on basket cases at various stages of rust and completeness when they came (come) into the yard. I don’t have high expectations or place expectations on time, effort and cost. If there is an expectation I revisit the thought that nothing is ever easy, costs usually come in at 50-100% or more higher than I roughly estimate, and I lose interest from time to time and they sit until I am motivated again. It’s a hobby, sometimes a burden, most of the time a money pit…and at times exalting when a hard to find part is found, an engine comes back to life, or I stand back and look at something that was a POS and now is better than new because of my elbow grease and pocketbook. Yes Mike, I question why from time to time and justify the expense as part of my life journey and education and an avenue to meet other people. If anything I stick with it because it’s not a bad thing to do and learn. I would say it keeps me out of the bars, but that would be a stretch. . So it is… I made the decision to do this and I follow through on a truck or cut my losses and sell it.

Mike: you’re normal… and there is help for you and us. I attend local ATA meetings…(Antique Trucks Anonymous)…start a group and open your garage door. Let those in with far away eyes, the downtrodden with rotten running boards and A pillars, the dented and sagging..soon they will have primer on their metal and brake lines that wont rust.

Last edited by tom moore; Mon Dec 06 2021 09:45 PM.
Mike Burns #1432556 Mon Dec 06 2021 08:42 PM
T
'Bolter
Oh, BTW … the above was my 1,000th post. An ATA milestone. I deserve a pin. Please feel free to congratulate me…or send condolences to the members in this site who choose to read or monitor my wandering ramblings.

Last edited by tom moore; Mon Dec 06 2021 08:47 PM.
Mike Burns #1432557 Mon Dec 06 2021 08:48 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
1000 post is not a pin, it's a men's bracelet made from paper clips. Congratulations.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

bartamos #1432559 Mon Dec 06 2021 08:55 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by bartamos
1000 post is not a pin, it's a men's bracelet made from paper clips. Congratulations.
LOL! I earned my bracelet of paper clips long ago. My project is going on 6-1/2 years, but I went into it with my eyes wide open and was looking for something to do in retirement. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, though.
It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
I'm afraid to look at what this project has cost (in either dollars spent or personal labor), but that's not the point.
Hang in there Mike. You're way ahead of me. thumbs_up

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop