The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (Rsqwhite, KEVINSKI, Dakotabolt, '37 barn find), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,470
Posts1,031,724
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I had an epiphany, maybe??
#1431636 Sun Nov 28 2021 01:28 PM
W
'Bolter
I am still trying to understand how WIFI works. I have 2 TVs one in the family room which is 40 ft. from the wifi box and the cable modem. The other one is at the other end of the house and only has a power cord, no cable or connection to the cable modem. Is wifi coming from the cable modem or just out of the air? I am trying to get rid of the modem. Also, a friend wants wifi to get youtube and do away with his Dish network.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: I had an epiphany, maybe??
WE b OLD #1431641 Sun Nov 28 2021 02:35 PM
P
AD Addict
WiFi is only a way to get the internet to your computer, phone, TV, etc. It uses radio waves to transport digital data to your equipment from your router, instead of using a ethernet cable (cat 5, cat 5e, etc.). WiFi signals only travel short distances, limiting those signals to areas such as your home.

Most routers that are supplied from your internet provider process the signals coming into your house and distribute (or route) the data to your devices, via WiFi or ethernet cable.

In my case, I have a cable modem (supplied by my cable company) and a separate router that I own. So my internet signal comes in from the cable modem then on to the router that distributes the signal to my devices. Some thru cat5 cable and some thru WiFi.

I did exactly what your friend wants and got rid of Direct TV. I’m presently using YouTube TV.

Most current TV’s have built in WiFi receivers and network connections (ethernet), so you could use either.

So to answer you question, you need some type of modem to receive your signal from your internet company and a router to distribute that signal. Some companies supply those boxes at cost, some at no cost. Some combine the modem and router into one box. It all depends on which supplier you are using.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
WE b OLD #1431653 Sun Nov 28 2021 05:48 PM
W
'Bolter
I have Spectrum. But not spectrum tv. I do have their supplied router which my Netgear wifi is hooked to. My confusion is the bedroom TV receives a wifi signal but does not have a cable hookup. I do have Amazon prime so I get their movies but rarely do I find one that I am interested in for the ones that they charge me for. Most TV watching is on youtube. On my Netgear, there is only a power cable and a Thick yellow cable that goes to Spectrum router. BTW the reason for all the questions is that they charge me $70.00 a month for their router. I wanted to make sure I really needed it. The irony, when I first got cable was 1978 and it was $99.00 for 160 channels, who needs 160 channels? After rereading your first 2 sentences I am assuming that their router captures the radio waves and I have to keep it. Thanks for the help.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1431657 Sun Nov 28 2021 06:26 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
You need the Spectrum Modem in order to “receive” the signal. You do not need the Spectrum router. You can use your private router hooked up to the Spectrum modem. My TV in the living room is hardwired “cat5 cable” from the Netgear Router to the Tv. It doesn’t have to be, it could operate off WiFi but I prefer wired. Our iPads operate from over the air WiFi.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

WE b OLD #1431664 Sun Nov 28 2021 07:16 PM
W
'Bolter
The service guy who was out here told me that I could return theirs. It would only save me $5.00 a month. I have not converted back yet because a friend is trying to dump the Dish network so I am taking my router to his house and see if we can use his modem to get youtube. But dump all the other channels. What was convulsing me was the fact that he had issues in the outside box that he had to fix. That was what caused me to lose tv. But I still have a cable still hooked up but I guess it does nothing. And on top of everything else the bedroom TV is not hooked to anything but house current. dang Thanks.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1431688 Sun Nov 28 2021 10:29 PM
P
AD Addict
The $70 a month is for the service not the router. The signals come thru the cable TV wires on the telephone poles and the box on the outside is the service entrance box which sends the signal thru the house (wired).

I also have Spectrum (also no TV) for my internet service. You can use your own cable modem or their’s. They provided me with their modem at no cost or monthly fee and I use my own router.

Unfortunately the free internet isn’t accessible without one of the big cable/phone companies. Apparently Spectrum has a monthly rental charge for their router.

Last edited by Phak1; Sun Nov 28 2021 10:33 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

12v w/ Alternator
WE b OLD #1431692 Sun Nov 28 2021 11:01 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I pay $50 month for T-Mobile Internet. Their device is wired to my Netgear router. Internet is 10 times faster than my previous broadband provider. Bought a Roku device (one time expense) for TV streaming. I added Sling TV for $50 so I have hundreds of channels and thousands of free movies for $100 a month. Saving $50 a month over DirecTv. We watch a lot of TV these days so it’s worth it to us.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

WE b OLD #1431698 Mon Nov 29 2021 01:19 AM
W
'Bolter
The new wifi box will go back the tech told me mine was ok. The only issue I have with wifi I on youtube it plays for about an hour then it freezes and I have to turn the tv off and wait a few seconds and turn it back on. I can also leave youtube then reconnect to it. No offense but what can you do with all those channels. It would be nice if you could pick out your favorites and that would be it. I have not watched regular tv for maybe 4 years. I can get most of it on Youtube maybe a day late. I am taking my Netgear to my friend to see if he can use it on his Dishnetwork, He won't need it until spring. If all goes well he will go to Hilton Head next month. He is to have hernia surgery and he is not sure if they will let him drive, I told home I would drive him down in his car and rent one and visit relatives in the area or maybe go see Alvin. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1431700 Mon Nov 29 2021 02:20 AM
P
AD Addict
Originally Posted by WE b OLD
The only issue I have with wifi I on youtube it plays for about an hour then it freezes and I have to turn the tv off and wait a few seconds and turn it back on. I can also leave youtube then reconnect to it.

That could be YouTube making sure your still watching. That would reduce their traffic by kicking off those who started watching something and got distracted (especially kids).

Last edited by Phak1; Mon Nov 29 2021 02:20 AM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

12v w/ Alternator
WE b OLD #1431731 Mon Nov 29 2021 05:35 PM
W
'Bolter
Could be Phil. Passwords are not so sacred. I was nosing around on the labels of the old wifi and the new one and noticed that they have the passwords on the label. Very small print. So I suppose they expect you to change it. Or it is for the first login. I plan on putting my Netgear back on and using the new one to test at my friend's house and then return it.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  baldeagle 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop