The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, GMCJammer51, asilverblazer, 32vsnake, Paul Mullen, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,462
Posts1,013,060
Members45,239
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Upgrading Steering/Front Supension, really stumped...
#1431220 Wed Nov 24 2021 06:40 PM
G
'Bolter
Hi all. I have a completely stock and original 59 3100 2WD steering/suspension set up. It's in need of overhaul, my shoulders are shot, and I've been studying Manual R&P w/coilover IFS. Many concerns. The primary one being that I do not want to lower the front end. I want/need it to sit like a truck. I have checked out several IFS builders, and the only one to date that has said they can truly keep my factory ride height is a place called Scott's Hot Rods, in Knoxville TN. They are way more expensive than other kits, but claim to build ride height to my specs. (Many others have "stock Spindles", but when questioned, all say that it lowers ride height by a minimum of 2-3 inches). Have any of you ever dealt with them before for a reference/review? Do you have other suggestions? I'm hoping to hear from those who have truly taken this path. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving! Grant -n- Debbie.

Re: Upgrading Steering/Front Supension, really stumped...
Grant Dupee' #1431320 Thu Nov 25 2021 02:48 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
You can upgrade your steering sector (steering gear box) and keep your factory springs a original ride height. I am using a kit from Classic Performance Parts (CPP), it uses a 400 steering sector mounted in the factory location. You will need to modify the lower end of your steering column to adapt to the sector and add a power steering pump and hoses. You can add Teflon inserts to your spring pack to help soften up the ride. Check out my posts in the project forum, I took pictures of everything so far, I have not finished the steering linkage yet but you can see how it is mounted. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/truck/parts/5559pskoc.html

Last edited by TUTS 59; Thu Nov 25 2021 02:49 PM.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Grant Dupee' #1431328 Thu Nov 25 2021 03:18 PM
J
'Bolter
Detroit Eaton springs can build custom springs with softer ride and any ride height you want, add a power steering kit like Craig has going and you will be money ahead and still have the truck you want. What you don't want is R&P steering with a straight axle. If you go with a front end kit, what about the rear axle? It will still be rough riding, with new springs all around, the whole truck will be nicer. Does the kit you are looking at have new brakes? are they compatible with the brake system? Will the wheel bolt pattern match the rears?

Up-grading what you have is a lot easier then replacing in my opinion.

Grant Dupee' #1431343 Thu Nov 25 2021 04:35 PM
H
'Bolter
Rebuilding the stock steering and front suspension and adding electronic power steering will probably be simpler and less expensive than doing an IFS conversion. The electric P/S system for a Saturn can be adapted to the original steering worm shaft between the dash and firewall with a little machining and fabrication. Contact "Coilover" for details of the conversion. His shop does it frequently.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Grant Dupee' #1431418 Fri Nov 26 2021 04:50 PM
E
'Bolter
Another option would be to mount a Delphi(Saginaw) unit outside the frame, just behind the bumper. Need to make sure all tapered male and female fittings are compatable, might need to shorten drag link, must be level when loaded, as I did on my GMC 350, 2 ton, with P-3500 HD disc brake spindles.

Ed

Attached Files

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Grant Dupee' #1431542 Sat Nov 27 2021 04:51 PM
G
'Bolter
That's what I'm talking about! Great information! Thank you. I am investigating these leads. Thanks!

Grant Dupee' #1431543 Sat Nov 27 2021 04:52 PM
G
'Bolter
Keep the ideas coming please! How do I contact "Coilover"

Grant Dupee' #1431549 Sat Nov 27 2021 06:11 PM
H
'Bolter
He posts here on a regular basis. Click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page and send him a private message. Evan doesn't always notice the flashing icon that tells him he's got a PM so it might be a while before you get a response.
Jerry

Grant Dupee' #1431562 Sat Nov 27 2021 08:06 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
I had considered using the steering box mounted outside the frame rail. Somethings to think about having to relocate the shocks and fabricating a steering shaft. I also read a lot about the steering geometry and bump steer, with a steering box mounted forward of the axel you change the axis point on the draglink, the springs are fixed mounted at the rear. With the two opposing points of movement bump steer could become an issue. With the steering gear in the factory location both points of movement are at the rear.

Last edited by TUTS 59; Sat Nov 27 2021 08:07 PM.

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Grant Dupee' #1431573 Sat Nov 27 2021 09:57 PM
H
'Bolter
The power steering box from certain models of Toyota Land Cruiser is a virtual clone of the stovebolt steering gear, and can be installed in a very close location to the original box without making major changes to the steering geometry. Of course, a power steering pump will still need to be adapted to the engine.
Jerry

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop