The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (Donf, 55shaker, Elmo, asilverblazer, 3B, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,462
Posts1,013,061
Members45,239
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Quality of Aftermarket Metal Parts
#1430480 Wed Nov 17 2021 06:03 PM
M
'Bolter
Hello All,
Not sure where to put this question. I am wondering about the quality of metal replacement parts from places like
Ecklers and Tuckers? Are the metal body parts all coming form the same overseas factories? How does this stuff really
compare to the originals?
I bought a nine foot bed for a GMC one ton pickup, 1953. The bed sides look pretty good, restorable, usable. But the
back panel just behind the cab has lots of body rot. I have read here these panels are different than the shorter bed
back panels are built. Any suggestions on where to find one?
Thank you to all of you for all the information! I'm on here learning every day! Mike.

Re: Quality of Aftermarket Metal Parts
MikeStone1953 #1430488 Wed Nov 17 2021 06:46 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Aftermarket parts, especially body patches are MEH! They generally all need some massaging to fit correctly.

The exception to that are bed parts from Mar-K [mar-k.com]. Made in the USA and good quality. They can probably help you out for the bed panel you need.

Questions like yours would generally to in Paint and Body, or possibly Making a Stovebolt Bed.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
MikeStone1953 #1430973 Mon Nov 22 2021 02:04 PM
'Bolter
MikeStone 1953,
Always neat to hear of another guy with a 9'' foot pickup bed. I have a 1950 1 ton with the 9' bed and love it. Mar-K made the front bed panel for my truck and is a perfect match. I assume the 1953 would be the same as the 1950 with the exception of the number of boards in the bed. A long time ago, I did a drawing for that 1 ton bed panel for Mar-K. At the time they only did the 1/2 and 3/4 ton panels, but they followed my drawing exactly and the panel turned out great. Since then he has offered the 1 ton front bed panel. Can't go wrong with them on that part. Good luck with your truck.
Tom

3800GUY #1431043 Tue Nov 23 2021 04:21 AM
'Bolter
Wow, now thats a blast from the past for sure. I remember when you sent that drawing, Tom, I am guessing about 30 years ago. I am sure it is still somewhere in the archives at Mar-K. We often had to rely on customers being willing to send accurate information, especially for parts like the 1-tons that you don't see every day. Thank you for sending it.

Mark

MikeStone1953 #1431054 Tue Nov 23 2021 12:01 PM
'Bolter
Hi Mark,
Yes that does go back awhile, probably more like 35 years. I have a copy of that drawing here at home yet, not sure why but always kept it. Hope all is well with you, and best wishes to you for the holiday season. My truck now is in the garage for the winter here in Minnesota. No snow yet, but anytime now I'm sure a storm is brewing.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop