The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Tiny, dunfire, 51Craig1Ton, MikeE, 53 green 1- ton, 2 invisible), 73 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,707
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Problem with Trico windshield wiper
#1430528 Wed Nov 17 2021 11:11 PM
G
'Bolter
Dear fellow pickup enthousiasts,

This is my first post on this forum so i hope everything works.
Me and my father have an 1951 Chevrolet 3100 at home in the Netherlands. Because i live in the Netherlands I frequently have to deal with rain frown The original windschield wiper motor didn't work so yesterday I tried cleaning up the motor so it would work again. I installed everything back and the windschield wipers worked beter than before. The only problem is that the wipers only go up and then just stop. When i turn the the knob back the windschield wipers return back down. From what i saw on videos the windschield wipers should go automatically back and forth. Does somebody know what the problem could be?

Kind regards,
Thijs

Re: Problem with Trico windshield wiper
GREEN51CHEVY #1430533 Thu Nov 18 2021 12:26 AM
C
'Bolter
Welcome - this is typical with these wipers most likely the motor needs to be rebuilt, this is the only place I know that will do it https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ . there may be options to fix it yourself but I think parts are difficult if not impossible to get. I am sure others will chime in

Good Luck!

1953 3100
GREEN51CHEVY #1430538 Thu Nov 18 2021 01:20 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I recall that there's a switch that changed which side the vacuum goes into. It may be sticking. It should be removable from the outside without having to disassemble the whole thing. Maybe a little lubricant there would fix it. Worth a try before sending it off to a rebuilder.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
GREEN51CHEVY #1430541 Thu Nov 18 2021 02:04 AM
'Bolter
I had that problem with one of mine. The switchover valve is small and can get stuck. I work on mine on the bench where In can see everything clearly. I use my central vac to power it.

GREEN51CHEVY #1430543 Thu Nov 18 2021 02:13 AM
P
AD Addict
I had the same issue with my original Trico wiper motor. It didn’t work at all, then I soaked it with ATF tranny fluid and it did work better but it would stop with just a little hand pressure. I sent mine to Fricken Wiper Service (aka the Wiperman), as Cletus1950 has suggested. And as he said, parts are nonexistent. Rumor has it, when Trico went out business, they sold all of their spare part inventory to only a couple of people, with one being the “Wiperman” and they do not sell any parts.

Shipping from the Netherlands may be costly. You could always email or call to see. Another alternative would be to install an electric wiper motor. Most of the cheap wiper motors (made in China), the choke cable is in the way requiring you to move it. The only one that installs without any modifications is one built in the USA by Newport Engineering. It sells for 250 US dollars which is about $75 more that the Chinese imports but from the reviews on this forum, that is what I recommend.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
GREEN51CHEVY #1430581 Thu Nov 18 2021 03:15 PM
C
'Bolter
klhansen hit the nail on the head. There is an exploded view of a Trico motor at Schematron.org and about 3/4 of the way down the page it shows the controls which they label "rocker" but we call "reverser". This MUST snap over center when one works the shaft by hand. As stated, it under a plate so dismantling the motor is not necessary.

Evan
GREEN51CHEVY #1430632 Thu Nov 18 2021 11:02 PM
G
'Bolter
Thank you for your reactions they really help! grin

When i took te motor apart I made sure to place everything back how they should be. When I had the front cover off I saw that when I turned the shaft the spring hanger jumped back and forth normally, so I don't really know why it doesn't work with the vacuum on.
As Phak1 mentioned, shipping from the Netherlands to America is really costly and it's not really worth it. The truck itself is in really good condition (for a patina truck) and runs and drives great. We only drive it for fun and for advertising purposes for our gardencenter. So buying an electric motor is also a bit pricy for the little bit that we drive. I always make sure to check the weather before I drive it. But as I said the weather in the Netherlands is really unpredictable. So it would be nice to have working wipers again.

GREEN51CHEVY #1430646 Fri Nov 19 2021 12:58 AM
'Bolter
Is Rain-x available in the Netherlands? It is much better than nothing.

GREEN51CHEVY #1430654 Fri Nov 19 2021 01:24 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by GREEN51CHEVY
When i took te motor apart I made sure to place everything back how they should be. When I had the front cover off I saw that when I turned the shaft the spring hanger jumped back and forth normally, so I don't really know why it doesn't work with the vacuum on.
Possibly there's something in the motor itself that prevents the vane from going far enough to make the valve switch positions. If the wiper on the vane is displaced to one side, that might be it. I'd try a little bit of lube on the switch. You can't make it worse. wink

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
GREEN51CHEVY #1430661 Fri Nov 19 2021 02:19 AM
M
'Bolter
Have you confirmed you have full vacuum at the motor? Is the vacuum hose/line kinked or blocked somewhere?

Mike B smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop