The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 62 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,015
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Submersible Sump Pump
#1430266 Mon Nov 15 2021 09:45 PM
S
'Bolter
My pump works but and the float is free but unless I manually lift the float up the pump will not evacuate. Whatever it is in the float that starts it is rattling as always. But when I checked it a few times the float was submerged and the water was higher than it should be. The float is free of obstructions. I do not think there is a leak in the float.
As we are currently having a major rainfall I need it to work instead of me manually triggering it every 20 minutes.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Submersible Sump Pump
Sedgewick #1430273 Mon Nov 15 2021 10:19 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
If it has a rod from the float to the switch, the switch may be binding up. If it's a float on a cord (with the float tipping to activate), then the float itself is probably bad. Those usually have a mercury switch inside the float, which may be what you hear rattling.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Sedgewick #1430275 Mon Nov 15 2021 10:43 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
If the pump has a ball shaped trigger on a short wire instead of a float on a rod that moves vertically, it might require more movement before the mercury switch makes contact. It sounds like you need a new trigger switch.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Sedgewick #1430309 Tue Nov 16 2021 01:22 AM
B
'Bolter
Can you take a picture so that we can see what you are dealing with? It sounds as if you have a tethered float switch that might be failing. Some sump pumps have integrated float switches while others have replaceable ones.

If you have a replaceable tethered float switch it will look like pic #1. If you do not it will look like pic #2 where it is wired into the pump and cannot be replaced.

If you are in the market for a replacement pump, I recommend one that doesn't have a tethered float switch as you can see in pic #3.

Hope this helps.

PIC #1 [img]https://ibb.co/dbsF0fp[/img]
PIC #2 [img]https://ibb.co/CwHmV5b[/img]
PIC #3 [img]https://ibb.co/GdxFct2[/img]

Like A Rock
Sedgewick #1430323 Tue Nov 16 2021 02:38 AM
Leo Offline
'Bolter
I don't know much about those switches but I know enough not to depend on an iffy sump pump. With the rain you guys are getting, you don't want to be without.

Sedgewick #1430475 Wed Nov 17 2021 05:28 PM
D
'Bolter
My thoughts exactly Leo.....bout time for that new sump. Then, you won't have to worry for the next 20 years
or till the sand runs out.
dg

Sedgewick #1430600 Thu Nov 18 2021 06:27 PM
S
'Bolter
Bowtie Junkie my pump is like the second photo.

Most of the day I was activating it manually. Once the water got down to a place where I could examine it I took the ball and it moved freely, the device inside rattled as it always has and cleaned the ball and tethered wire.

About suppertime that day I heard the pump kick in and start draining. As it was not filling up as quickly I went to check it and no sooner did I get there and it activated again. As it has been doing since.

I installed the pump in 1996 and the land is quite sandy with no clay. Each year I promise myself I would take the pump out and clean it but never got around to it. I will his time. For the security these pumps offer they are not expensive but well worth it.

Thanks for all the replies and the photos.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop