The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, Forty9, carryall jerry, Justice, NorthCoast3800, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,490
Posts1,031,882
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What next? Engine break in completed.
Lugnutz #1430377 Tue Nov 16 2021 06:18 PM
J
'Bolter
How many new cars have flat tappet engines? I believe in rainbows!

Dump the oil, for the price of engine rebuilds and tracking down parts, it's not worth the risk.

If feel you must do some thing after the break-in, pull the plugs and rocker cover, rotate the engine while watching the push rods, you are looking for rotation. Check valve lash, seal it up and store till you need it. For long term storage, loosen the lash so the valve spring have all the same tension on them. For short term storage, seal it up and leave it alone.

Last edited by Joe H; Tue Nov 16 2021 06:19 PM.
Lugnutz #1430389 Tue Nov 16 2021 07:23 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
Let’s see. 5 quarts of name brand oil is about $15 less than the cost of 5 quarts of break in oil. If I wasted $15, so be it. I’ve wasted more on other mistakes that gave me ZERO peace of mind. The warranty on my recent machine shop rebuilt 283 (still needs assembly) are VOID if I don’t use high zinc break in oil. So that decision is already made.

Let’s discuss something other than my $15 decision.

I’ll probably use 10W30 for the next oil run in this Jasper 283.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Tue Nov 23 2021 06:33 PM.
Lugnutz #1430414 Wed Nov 17 2021 12:41 AM
F
'Bolter
Lugnutz Catch your break*in oil in a big container let it settle out,carefully drain-off the upper oil look in the bottom at the fall out wanna use that in your next one ?? Drain-off oil is just fine.

fixite7 #1430651 Fri Nov 19 2021 01:10 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by fixite7
Lugnutz Catch your break*in oil in a big container let it settle out,carefully drain-off the upper oil look in the bottom at the fall out wanna use that in your next one ?? Drain-off oil is just fine.

If I got the punctuation right, here are my answers.
Catch the break-in oil in a big container.
Me: OK
Let it settle out.
Carefully drain off the upper oil.
Look in the bottom at the fall out. Wanna use that in your next one?
Me: I’ll certainly not use the bottom layer if it doesn’t look good.
Drain off oil is just fine.
Me: I might send off an oil sample for analysis. Then, and only then, decide what to do. I have the time.

Lugnutz #1430700 Fri Nov 19 2021 04:03 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Since anything other than the lowest API rating non-detergent motor oils have "detergent/dispersant" additives included in the formula, the "settling out" process will take weeks, if it happens at all. Anything too small to be trapped by the oil filter (which is also too small to do engine damage) is going to remain suspended in the oil indefinitely, until the next drain interval, whether that happens to be 20 minutes or 100 hours.

The entire concept of "break in" oil is as obsolete as hand cranks for engine starting, standard shift transmissions, or acetyline headlights. Back in the days when Babbit-bearing engines were fitted tightly enough that we had to put sand bags in the trunk and push the car down the street to get it started, an oil change after all the rebuilding debris got washed down into the oil pan made sense. Those engines usually got an "in the frame" rebuild, including honing the cylinders, so a lot of that that residual hone grit got dislodged during the break in run. Very few, if any, engines get rebuilt that way these days, so blindly following procedures that went out of style half a century ago makes about as much sense as doing a 20-coat lacquer paint job!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Lugnutz #1430725 Sat Nov 20 2021 12:48 AM
D
'Bolter
I have always used a break in supplement of some sort over the past 45 years. Originally it was GM EOS (engine oil supplement). Later I used kendel’s version. But those products changed formulations when flat tappet cams and high loads went out of style. A number of years ago Brad Penn (now Penn Grade) introduced their brake in oil and truth be told, it was and is a very good product in my estimation. I run aggressive cams in my 235 and 261 motors, same n the 292 motors, and the V8 motors I occasionally tinker with. All very modified and all run fla tappet cams with pretty good spring pressures. I have not had any failures. Run the brake in oil for first 100 miles, then change it to the regular brad Penn 10w30. It is Dino oil with a synthetic additive package and zinc added. I have had my 261 up to 6000 rpm (not often) generally no higher then 5700, no failures. I do not reuse the brake n oil.

Mike
Lugnutz #1430728 Sat Nov 20 2021 01:11 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
I drained the break in oil today for inspection. It’s no longer honey colored. It has a slightly darker color. I did NOT see any glitter, chunks, goo, slime, water, coolant, or bad joo-joo.
Drained the coolant Wednesday and didn’t see any oil.
I’m gonna bore scope the cylinders tomorrow. Report to follow.

Lugnutz #1430765 Sat Nov 20 2021 03:16 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
'Bolter
Bore scope checked out. No funny business that I could see.
I see oil on all the rockers.
Painted a mark on the pushrods and hand turned the crank X 10 rotations. I can see pushrod rotation on about 7 of the 16 pushrods.
So should I readjust the lash. None of the pushrods are loose.

Attached Files
Lugnutz #1430769 Sat Nov 20 2021 03:28 PM
F
'Bolter
Lugnutz I think the main thing is plenty of lift on all lobes,never really paid much attention to push rod rotation. Cam failure is usually almost immediately after start-up if it's gonna happen at all. They used to gripe about soft sbc cams well if you don't follow their insructions about break-in what can you expect ??

Joe H #1430771 Sat Nov 20 2021 03:31 PM
F
'Bolter
JoeH What next ?? Slap it in your rod and run the wheels off of it !!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop