The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (buoymaker, 1946GMCDAN, D B Cooper, DennisM, 66flea, 2 invisible), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,489
Posts1,031,875
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help with a MII
#1429723 Wed Nov 10 2021 10:00 AM
'Bolter
I’m starting to work on my 1947 1/2 ton again after installing a 1955 2nd 235 engine, T5 transmission and re-wiring it.
Now I want to update my front suspension with either a MII or a Jaguar XJ6. I want to try to keep the 235 in the stock mounting locations. The trouble I think I’m going to have it the rack and pinion hitting the oil pan.
I been searching and emailed some companies to ask but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.
I want to know what MII you guys are using with the inline 6 engine and rack not hitting?
Or if a Jaguar XJ6 will clear the 235’s oil pan since it’s behind the cross member? Thanks guys.

Re: Help with a MII
47 BOMBER #1429739 Wed Nov 10 2021 02:20 PM
B
Curmudgeon
Definitely a road less travelled.

The 235 will weigh about 630 lbs or more, about 100+ more than the typical 350 which is most often used with the MII.
Back when I was searching I found (https://www.scottshotrods.com). They said their kit would clear.
Also the ride height is adjustable towards a somewhat stock appearance.
The last time I checked Fatman's, in my area, they would not do the M2 IFS with the inline-6.

Sorry for the preaching. I just want to make sure you are aware then you can do what you want.
The IFS affects the number 1 concerns. Steering and braking. Safety needs to be primary in your thoughts. Your desire(s) second.
I would find a competent rod shop to do the installation unless you are an experienced welder and metal worker (definately not shade tree).
Talk to you insurance company first and see if they will cover the modification.
If you do your own conversion, without telling the insurance company and cause an accident, well I hope you are rich.
Don't be the one to squash an SUV full of kids because of faulty work.

Attached Files
Scotts IFS.jpg (82.06 KB, 257 downloads)
Last edited by buoymaker; Wed Nov 10 2021 02:26 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
47 BOMBER #1429792 Thu Nov 11 2021 12:14 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
If you're looking for a front ride height that makes the truck look like a hound dog that just had a close encounter with a skunk, you're probably going to have steering clearance problems with the 235. A normal-looking ride height will most likely also solve the interference concerns.

Buoymaker beat me to the punch about "safety first". There are enough rolling deathtraps masquerading as "resto-mod" stoveblots on the road already!

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
47 BOMBER #1429798 Thu Nov 11 2021 01:21 AM
B
Sir Searchalot
I started to join in but this time I remembered. This is the Hipo shop. I was reminded of that a few times in the past. Recommending not doing something a guy wants to do in the HiPo shop.......is off topic.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

47 BOMBER #1429825 Thu Nov 11 2021 01:04 PM
C
'Bolter
There are many choices for ifs that are not Jag or MII. Aspen/Volarie have everything at the very front of the frame, Crown Vic is designed for a front sump pan, we put a Dakota ifs in a 56 GMC with a 300 Ford six, for just a few examples. The MII CAN be modified with a dropped center section, just install with front and rear bracing before cutting out center. We have used MII's with rear mounted VW racks if this would work out. Racks can be moved as long as the tie rods are parallel to floor when finished which requires custom steering arms. My advice for anyone doing a steering-suspension mod is to FIRST read up on the subject so you actually know what is happening geometry wise rather than just cutting and welding. Two more things: this is a HIPO site so the purists have no reason to click on it and second safety should be the primary concern on ANY site.
I hope your install is a bit cleaner than this customers 51 Ford PU that has been driven three (scary) years with a 455 Olds engine. Nova clip is open for a few improvements. We have pretty much seen it all.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/GBWgnLQs/IMG-4136.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0KbCzhcq/IMG-4137.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/94HVJh7J/IMG-4144-1.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
47 BOMBER #1429909 Fri Nov 12 2021 04:16 PM
B
Curmudgeon
The comments about Purist and Hipo Shop are understood and accepted.
In return please respect the original enough to make something of value, not scrap metal.

Attached Files
IFS.jpg (125.51 KB, 166 downloads)

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
coilover #1429913 Fri Nov 12 2021 04:43 PM
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Originally Posted by coilover
. . . Two more things: this is a HIPO site so the purists have no reason to click on it . . .

minor correction: this in The HiPo Shop "Forum"
Stovebolt.com is the "site".

Copyright © 1995-2021 | Stovebolt.com | Leonardtown, Maryland
No parts of this site, its contents, photos or graphics, may be used without permission.

Please forgive my correction/pedantry.

Nonetheless, this post is in the correct forum/location.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
47 BOMBER #1429956 Fri Nov 12 2021 11:42 PM
W
'Bolter
The booger welds in the pictures posted by Coilover look painfully familiar.
The guy that schmucked up my frame prior to my ownership must still be at large.

Age 68 is not too late to start hot rodding , right?
buoymaker #1429987 Sat Nov 13 2021 07:11 AM
M
'Bolter
Originally Posted by buoymaker
Talk to you insurance company first and see if they will cover the modification.

HAHA! If any of asked our insurance companies for permission for modifications, this thread, this forum and our entire hobby would never exist. Ditto for asking the DMV for restoration advice.

Attached Files

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
47 BOMBER #1430008 Sat Nov 13 2021 03:34 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
That's the kind of attitude ambulance chasing lawyers love- - - - -it keeps them in business. Of course, some guys would say the same thing from the witness stand while the try to convince a jury that losing their steering and hitting that soccer mom in the minivan with a load of kids really wasn't their fault.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop