The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (coilover, baldeagle, rc356s, buoymaker, 1 invisible), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,427
Posts1,012,783
Members45,225
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Windlace track installation
#1425383 Tue Sep 28 2021 05:06 PM
M
'Bolter
I'm nearly ready to paint my 1953 interior. I have replaced the inner cowl panels, so I now need to install a foot or two of the channel that the windlace slides into. I assume that I should drill a few holes in the center of the track and then weld it to the inner cowl panel. I'm a little concerned about grinding those welds flat enough to allow the new rubber to slide freely. I'll appreciate any advice regarding this. I also wondered if there is an adhesive that would work well enough that it wouldn't even need to be welded. I also wondered about possibly tack welding the new channel on the front edge, where it wouldn't show anyway. HELP

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
Re: Windlace track installation
Mike Burns #1425405 Tue Sep 28 2021 10:26 PM
C
'Bolter
Mike - like you described, I drilled 1/8" holes in the center of the track about 3" apart and plug welded it to the inner cowl panel. I then ground the weld so as to not interfere with the rubber installation. It worked out well for me. Just make sure to use a low heat setting on your welder so you don't blow through the track. They are not very thick. Good luck!!

Charlie

'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
Re: Windlace track installation
Mike Burns #1425414 Wed Sep 29 2021 01:11 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I did the same as Charlie when I replaced the lower portion of the tracks.

A small hole and a short blip with the MIG does the trick. You're doing it in the blind but sticking the cup centered on the track and pulling the trigger worked OK. I used a 3" cutoff disc to clean up the welds.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop