The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Mike B, John L., dgrinnan, J Lucas, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,526
Posts1,041,273
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
'Bolter
From my own experience, fixing a rusty old truck will nickel and dime you to death. Fixing rusty panels has doomed my project to corner ir the shed purgatory. Yes. I do have buyer's remorse. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a running and driving truck and enjoy it, regardless of the condition.

In your situation, a chassis and new cab might be the way to go. After you get over the sticker shock, it may save some money and time in the long run.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
W
'Bolter
"...fixing a rusty old truck will nickel and dime you to death..."

Yeah , I started out with "Let's just make this bucket roadworthy so I can enjoy it." - now I am in the "How did I get in this deep?" zone.

Reminds me of a single panel cartoon I saw in a magazine years ago -

A man is standing at the counter in an auto parts store. He looks tired , greasy , frazzled. In his hand is a radiator cap ; he is showing it to the parts guy.
The frazzled guy says "I need everything except this for a 1965 Ford Fairlane."

Age 68 is not too late to start hot rodding , right?
N
NJC Offline
'Bolter
Sir, You should walk away from the $30K estimate from the professional shop to hot rod your '51 1/2 ton. Why? A shop is in business to make money and you already think it's outrageous to charge so much. Think about this hobby and how people are consistently drawn to it & everyone wants an iconic '47-'53 GMC/Chevrolet truck. Heck it even made it as a postage stamp! You need lots of money to play this game! Keep your '51 1/2 on the road & work more jobs to create a budget specifically to fund this passion we all have. Thanks Chuck. V/r, Nick

1952 Chevrolet Suburban
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

1948 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
D
'Bolter
I agree with most of the responses. After working on mine for the last 5 years doing a little at a time and being no where close to done I have $10K in parts not counting the countless hours of labor. I am not even doing any of the upgrades he quoted. Mine is 90% original. No suspension or drivetrain upgrades. No new gauges, gas tank, air conditioning or anything else. Just think about the hourly rate for labor minus parts cost and you will spend a fortune. Good luck finding one with all the work he has quoted for much less. Most out there are priced higher. Maybe you could work a deal with him to purchase one of the trucks he is currently working on and take yours as a trade to reduce the cost.

Last edited by dgrinnan; Fri Sep 17 2021 12:13 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Justhorsenround, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop