The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (medic110, dougs, hokiecarpenter, Justhorsenround, GRNHydra, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,490
Posts1,031,883
Members45,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How can I make a C60 more drivable?
#1422833 Fri Sep 03 2021 04:44 PM
B
'Bolter
I have a 1960 c60 in pretty decent condition. Runs great, brakes completely rebuilt, built a flatbed for it. I really love the truck and I put a bunch of time and money into it to get it where it is. It was fun driving around the farm and back roads in Nebraska but now I have it in Phoenix and it's just awful to drive here. Top speed is too low to get it on the highway, and it's too slow getting to speed to drive on side streets.

So I'm thinking through options to make it a little more enjoyable.

Option 1 - a 5.3 with 4l80e swap. But that's a lot of work and I still have the awful brake setup, ancient suspension, heavy rear end, obsolete wheels, bad gearing etc etc (I'm not towing grain trailers anymore). If I add a rear axle swap... I may as well go on to..

Option 2 - full chassis swap. I know most people on here are purists and I understand that viewpoint. But for me an all original truck that will never be driven is more of a shame than an updated truck that I can and will actually drive around. I haven't looked into measurements but thinking about buying an old 7.3 F450 dually and swapping the cab over. Blasphemy I know.

I have a 1958 Chevy delivery van swapped onto a Tahoe chassis with a 5.3 motor and I drive it all the time. With all original equipment I never would have been able to drive it and it would be rotting away somewhere. Chassis swap allowed the van to go to car shows in Vegas, Long Beach, all over Phoenix, and I drive it around for work. Gave it a second life.

Anyway just brainstorming so figured I'd post here. Any insights comments advice criticism is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
Last edited by Beetroot; Fri Sep 03 2021 04:45 PM.
Re: How can I make a C60 more drivable?
Beetroot #1422839 Fri Sep 03 2021 05:23 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Option 3 - Sell it to someone that will keep it in original condition and then you buy something to get around town in.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Beetroot #1422840 Fri Sep 03 2021 05:36 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Anything above about a C-30 is getting into "real truck" territory. That includes the frame, the running gear, wheels, tires, brakes and other stuff that's intended to haul heavy loads at moderate speeds. It also gets into license plates and insurance rates that aren't very friendly to a Cowboy Cadillac daily driver. Unless your local DMV has some sort of accomodation for project vehicles that aren't used for their original purposes, licencing and insuring it could turn into a bottomless money pit. Even with your photo blown up several sizes, it's impossible to tell if the truck is running the Firestone RH-5 "widowmaker" wheels. If so, your first concern will be a couple of thousand dollars' worth of legal wheels and tires. Smaller, more modern wheels and suspension will look completely out of place on a big rig. Give some thought to what you intend to do with the finished project, and proceed accordingly.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
DoubleDingo #1422848 Fri Sep 03 2021 06:36 PM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by DoubleDingo
Option 3 - Sell it to someone that will keep it in original condition and then you buy something to get around town in.

You are absolutely right, this is probably the best option.

Hotrod Lincoln #1422849 Fri Sep 03 2021 06:43 PM
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Anything above about a C-30 is getting into "real truck" territory. That includes the frame, the running gear, wheels, tires, brakes and other stuff that's intended to haul heavy loads at moderate speeds. It also gets into license plates and insurance rates that aren't very friendly to a Cowboy Cadillac daily driver. Unless your local DMV has some sort of accomodation for project vehicles that aren't used for their original purposes, licencing and insuring it could turn into a bottomless money pit. Even with your photo blown up several sizes, it's impossible to tell if the truck is running the Firestone RH-5 "widowmaker" wheels. If so, your first concern will be a couple of thousand dollars' worth of legal wheels and tires. Smaller, more modern wheels and suspension will look completely out of place on a big rig. Give some thought to what you intend to do with the finished project, and proceed accordingly.
Jerry

Between Arizona's lenient registration laws and Hagerty for insurance, no real issues with any of the paperwork stuff. The wheels are not the widowmakers. Already spent that couple thousand dollars...wheels are solid and all six tires are brand new.

If I did the chassis swap I would use some steel wheels and appropriately sized tires.

Leaning towards not messing with it though, like Dingo suggested.

Last edited by Beetroot; Fri Sep 03 2021 06:45 PM.
Beetroot #1422865 Fri Sep 03 2021 09:02 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
If we had some property that warranted a bigger truck than my C20 I would offer to buy it. I really like the 60s Series C50s and C60s, they have cool look to them.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Beetroot #1423049 Sun Sep 05 2021 08:24 PM
'Bolter
Dont do it. Keep it original with frame or sell it to someone who will. Find another truck thats trashed but for the cab and hv at it.

'38 1.5ton; "The stuff is as tough as woodpecker lips"
38_1.5Ton #1423083 Mon Sep 06 2021 01:32 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by 38_1.5Ton
Dont do it. Keep it original with frame or sell it to someone who will. Find another truck thats trashed but for the cab and hv at it.

Ditto.

And based on the answers above, which all seem to be in agreement, you may be looking for an answer that we, in good conscience, can't give you.

But whatever you decide, we're here to help as best we can.

Regards,
John

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Beetroot #1423092 Mon Sep 06 2021 02:56 AM
E
'Bolter
Looks like your fronts are tubeless 22.5” , rears are 20’s, is that correct? If your hub diameter is 6.250”,
those tubeless wheels can be redrilled to fit 10 on 7.250” bolt pattern, need 5.250 to 6.250” adapter also.

Ed

Attached Files
FA0D6D15-7CF2-4BBF-AF8D-E907036A010B.jpeg (395.28 KB, 128 downloads)
Last edited by EdPruss; Mon Sep 06 2021 03:46 AM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Beetroot #1423616 Sat Sep 11 2021 03:05 AM
H
'Bolter
Just drive it.

My C60 traverses the 75 miles between two farms on the regular, thru small towns and two smaller cities. Not it is not conducive for getting onto the highway (which I do) nor for traversing city streets, but I do exactly that. Most big trucks recognize my limitations and make accommodations in the slow lane without any hassle minus the occasional sneer over the CB when traffic is heavy and I am loaded and starting from a light. As to the other cars on the road; whatever, everyone could use a little slow down in life sometimes.

I have honestly found more enjoyment and content from being the slowest on the road than anything, and in turn, it keeps me from having to be in a rush, so its a win win. No need to sell or do surgery on the old girl, just drive her, and to heck with what anyone else will think about you on the road. Life is too short to not enjoy what you drive. Do routine brake maintenance and inspection and keep the e-brake ready and you'll be fine.

Plus, every time I am in the city, I get plenty of thumbs-up and lots of comments. For every nasty driver there is one who is all about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop