The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thinking again ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (coilover, KevinW, dunfire, 51Craig1Ton, 53 green 1- ton, 2 invisible), 72 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,583
Posts1,032,707
Members45,812
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
*Flex Plate Dust Cover For 5.3/350 Combo*
#1421373 Sat Aug 21 2021 01:11 PM
O
'Bolter
I have a 2001 5.3 running a 350 turbo transmission. I bought a universal dust cover for a 350 turbo and it just won't fit. The starter is the main issue. I've modified it and if I cut any more metal away to clear the starter there won't be much left to support that side of the cover. The cover still needs to go up further to get the bolts in but the starter is still hitting. I cut away the piece that goes between the engine and transmission as there were bolts on the tranmission that were interfering. Is there a cover out there for sale that will work for my application? I been driving without one for 1 1/2 years and probably don't need one but recently I've been hearing a noise that sounds like maybe a rock or some road debre has been caught in that area and ginding around for a few seconds. I don't hear the noise every time I go out. Just ocationally.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
https://zippi6.wixsite.com/adtruck

Re: *Flex Plate Dust Cover For 5.3/350 Combo*
olezippi #1421400 Sat Aug 21 2021 04:10 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Make a template out of thin cardboard that will fit the contour of the starter, and transfer the shape to a piece of sheet metal. Then pop-rivet that piece to the "universal" dust cover - - - -which obviously isnt universal. If necessary, include a tab to attach the plate to a hole drilled and tapped into the bell housing. Problem solved!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Hotrod Lincoln #1421401 Sat Aug 21 2021 04:21 PM
O
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Make a template out of thin cardboard that will fit the contour of the starter, and transfer the shape to a piece of sheet metal. Then pop-rivet that piece to the "universal" dust cover - - - -which obviously isnt universal. If necessary, include a tab to attach the plate to a hole drilled and tapped into the bell housing. Problem solved!
Jerry
Good idea. I've got a pop-rivet gun so ill give it a go.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
https://zippi6.wixsite.com/adtruck

olezippi #1422992 Sun Sep 05 2021 01:00 PM
B
'Bolter
Yea ive never run one on any of my LS swaps with old 4 speeds, th400’s or the old 319 in my truck. If you want one just make one up out of some thin sheet steel or even aluminum. Cardboard firts and then chop, hammer, bend drill, then enjoy the useless cover that makes you feel better hahaha.

olezippi #1423132 Mon Sep 06 2021 05:23 PM
H
Here in America, we have things called "gravel roads". I drive half a mile from home every day before I encounter the first pavement. Getting a rock wedged between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing can be an interesting experience, no matter what the sarcastiic city slickers think. Good luck with your project.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Hotrod Lincoln #1423166 Mon Sep 06 2021 09:51 PM
S
'Bolter
My truck isn't drivable yet but I start it up once a week. I put my dust cover back on after a cat decided it would be a good idea to take a nap atop the input shaft and clutch. Interesting mess.

Mason

1947 Chevy 3100
-57 Chevy 235
-93 S10 T5 Transmission
-97 Blazer 3.42 Rear End
stlcardinalsguy #1423321 Wed Sep 08 2021 04:31 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Originally Posted by stlcardinalsguy
My truck isn't drivable yet but I start it up once a week. I put my dust cover back on after a cat decided it would be a good idea to take a nap atop the input shaft and clutch. Interesting mess.

YUCK....

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
olezippi #1423357 Wed Sep 08 2021 08:50 PM
H
Dad got a call early one cold morning from one of his customers, a man who drove a 53 Pontiac straight 8. "It made a screeching noise when I started it, and now the generator light is on". The cat that had been sleeping on the spark plugs of that flathead engine jumped into the fan and knocked the belt off the pulleys. Dad said it looked like an explosion in a meat packing plant under the hood!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop