The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Eureka Jim, 55_2nd_Series, 68ironhead, 32vsnake, DennisM, Bruce36 1.5), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,524
Posts1,041,259
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
klhansen #1422722 Thu Sep 02 2021 05:32 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Originally Posted by klhansen
Did Autocorrect get you guys? AARP = American Association of Retired People. Knowing their politics, I'm sure Jerry isn't a member. wink
I'm sure you meant ARP, which sells high strength head bolts and stud kits.

Good reminder to get your torque wrenches actually calibrated every now and then. Not just checking against how another one feels, but actually putting a known torque load on them.

I was wondering if someone was going to point out the AARP goof-up...lol...

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
FarmerPaul #1422723 Thu Sep 02 2021 05:36 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
When I was a maintenance man for E&J Gallo winery in Livingston California back in the late 1970's one of my duties was operating a 49 foot Grove rubber-tired crane with a 20K pound capacity. Quite a machine! Pretty often, I'd be working out of sight of my load, which consisted of several people in a "man basket", doing maintenance work on pipe systems 40 feet off the ground or more. That kind of situation makes it very important to do exactly what the guy giving me hand signals wants to happen!

About the only kind of transportation I haven't worked on is a train. Cars, trucks, boats, airplanes, construction equipment, etc., yes. Hey, I'm only 75 years old- - - -maybe there's still time left to learn anothe skill or three!

One bit of trivia about a load shared by several fasteners, such as a cylinder head, or a wheel and tire assembly- - - - -the tightest fastener holds virtually all the load, up until the point where it stretches or breaks. Then the next-tightest one takes over until it fails. The mouth-breatiing impact wrench jockey at the local tire store who installs your wheels without using a torque wrench just might be making your vehicle a rolling deathtrap! A lot of the "wheel loss' claims against Firestone, Goodyear, and other franchise tire stores that I investigate involve progressive breakage of lug studs. Guess why!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
S
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
A lot of the "wheel loss' claims against Firestone, Goodyear, and other franchise tire stores that I investigate involve progressive breakage of lug studs. Guess why!
Jerry

The last guy to touch the wheel did it right ……but……gets blamed for the last 5 guys that over torque the lug nuts.

Last edited by showkey; Fri Sep 03 2021 09:46 PM.
BC59 #1422897 Sat Sep 04 2021 06:04 AM
A
'Bolter
Originally Posted by BC59
ARP has a kit P/N 155-4002. Kit for a F--d 427 SOHC 427. You end up with 4 extra short studs, washers & nuts but cheaper than purchasing open stock parts.

Does this kit have a drilled stud or some provision for the drilled head bolt that provides oil to the rocker assembly?

58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

FarmerPaul #1422941 Sat Sep 04 2021 05:54 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
That drilled bolt is only needed with certain early cylinder head/late engine block combinations. It's not necessary for all applications, and it's a very simple task to drill the bolt if necessary.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
FarmerPaul #1422945 Sat Sep 04 2021 06:26 PM
D
'Bolter

Mike
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop