The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (1946GMCDAN, Gdads51, JW51, 3B, Lightholder's Dad, Donf), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,374
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
'Bolter
Hi, I have most of the parts to install a 700R4 to replace
3 speed manual. Are there any mechanics around Green Lake Wi that can do it?
thanks!!

Attached Images
t4 (2).JPG (258.01 KB, 192 downloads)

1958 3100 Apache 327 engine
1958 3100 Apache Panel 1/2 ton 327 engine
M
'Bolter
Are you aware that this trans swap will require the engine mounts to be changed to the side mount system and having a trans crossmember installed (or maybe you already have it that way)?

Mike B smile

G
'Bolter
I have the crossmember. Im afraid the brake booster is in the way mounted to frame.
I don`t know about the motor mounts. has a 327

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
You have chosen what is the most difficult transmission to swap effectively of all the ones that will bolt up to the V8 engine. The geometry of the throttle cable linkage that controls shift points and pressures leaves absolutely no room for error. Getting the engine/trans assembly to bolt together isn't difficult at all. Getting the trans to shift properly and not destroy itself is extremely difficult. A turbo 400 or even a 350 would be a much better choice. Good luck!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
You have chosen what is the most difficult transmission to swap effectively of all the ones that will bolt up to the V8 engine. The geometry of the throttle cable linkage that controls shift points and pressures leaves absolutely no room for error. Getting the engine/trans assembly to bolt together isn't difficult at all. Getting the trans to shift properly and not destroy itself is extremely difficult. A turbo 400 or even a 350 would be a much better choice. Good luck!
Jerry

I second this on the TV cable. They really are very finicky. I would recommend having a *good* shop set that up for you. One with a warranty.

I have heard good things about BTO's kits (pick the one for your carb [bowtieoverdrives.com]), but I ended up deciding to put an 4L60e in my project(s) instead.

Good luck!

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.
G
'Bolter
Well durn... the only shop around me that greed to do it, failed to seal
my differential cover properly. So IDK what to do.

D
'Bolter
Have you thought about a T-10 or a close ratio 3 speed. I won a bunch of of drag races with both types of Borg Warner's. Had a few aluminum case 4 speeds but, I'm a little set in my ways. I prefer cast iron, hey it's weight down low on my 57-150 and it helps the front from bouncing up a little too much. Pending which rear end I'm running I get very good performance on the close ratio 3 speed. Either one will fit right in nicely with no modifications. Listen to Jerry he is a pro. No brag, just fact. doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
D
'Bolter
While we are on the subject; What is the big deal about Tremmic (spelling), 5 speed? My 57-150 has the close ratio and I can get a Tremmic for cheep from a kid that has to get some money now. Looks new. doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
B
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Jerry

X2

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Have you considered using a 350-C transmission, the one with a lockup clutch in the torque converter? It gives a 10% increase in driveshaft speed when the TCC locks in after going through the normal 3 speed shift pattern with 3rd. gear being direct drive. Getting 10% more driveline speed (or 10% less RPM) without going through an extra set of planetary gears is probably better efficiency-wise than having an OD.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop