The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (66flea, baldeagle, Bri’56-3200, 3800GUY, fixite7, 2 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,525
Posts1,041,268
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1422572 Wed Sep 01 2021 01:31 PM
F
'Bolter
My first attempt to install the head on my 1957 235 snapped off the number 2 position head bolt while trying to torque it to 95 ft./lbs. Ordered a couple of bolts, one long, one short from Chev’s of the 40s. The received bolts were used, long one had paint on it, short one was just a standard grade 8 bolt. I calibrated the torque wrench which was off a little, cleaned off the adhesive spray on the head gasket and tried again just torquing to 90 ft/lb. Again the number 2 position bolt seemed to just keep turning and not making it to 90 so I adjusted wrench down to 80 getting all the way to number 18 (short bolt, original, not the grade 8) and it snapped off. I did put a small amount of oil on the threads and on the shoulder just under the head. Oil under the head would cause less friction and would stretch the bolt more before getting to the required torque I suppose. Anyone have any ideas? Have all these old bolts been over stressed? Should I just go to the tractor supply and get all new grade 8 bolts?
Thanks,
Paul

FarmerPaul #1422574 Wed Sep 01 2021 01:56 PM
3B Offline
'Bolter
Hy FarmerPaul, very sorry to read about your head bolt problems. As far as I remember there were two different strengths of head bolts, what markings are on the heads of your bolts? Does your torque wrench have two different calibrations, one for pounds/feet and one for Newton/meters? If your torque wrench has two calibrations, could you be setting your torque to the wrong calibration?

FarmerPaul #1422577 Wed Sep 01 2021 02:05 PM
D
'Bolter
Paul, I would advise to get all new bolts from a reputable dealer. I have never had problems with Chevy's of the 40's but sometimes they and the rest of our suppliers can be snookered by the middle man. Jim Carter is a wealth of knowledge. To be on the safe side I would get one extra and put a sleeve around it and tighten to 90 lbs. or take it to a machine shop and let them test it. Then toss it away after it checks out. doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
FarmerPaul #1422585 Wed Sep 01 2021 03:27 PM
W
'Bolter
I think I would check with AARP. They specialize in high quality fasteners.
Like what 3B says check your torque wrench. That doesn't sound right. Those are some stout bolts.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
FarmerPaul #1422586 Wed Sep 01 2021 03:46 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Breaking two bolts in the same hole is one too many, without finding out what's causing the problem. Maybe there's an obstruction in the bottom of the hole that's allowing the bolt to bottom out, or something similar. I'd suggest installing a Heli-Coil in that thread, and making sure that the hole is deep enough to let the bolt squeeze the head gasket properly. The best fix would be to install ARP studs in all the holes,instead of using 70 year old bolts. That's what we did on 1,000+ HP tractor pull engines.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
FarmerPaul #1422588 Wed Sep 01 2021 04:20 PM
F
'Bolter
All: Thanks for the suggestions. I found the problem, cheap crap torque wrench. Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. I borrowed a torque wrench and tested it on a large bolt on a log splitter and it pulled (clicked) at a lot less effort at the 95 lb. setting. So the third time was the charm and I got all the head bolts easily torqued to 95 ft./lbs.
Thanks all,
Paul

FarmerPaul #1422589 Wed Sep 01 2021 04:25 PM
H
I hope you replaced ALL the bolts. Any one that has been subjected to that inaccurate torque wrench is damaged beyond repair, even if it did not break initially. If you reused any of them, you have created a disaster just waiting to happen with no warning whatsoever.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

FarmerPaul #1422592 Wed Sep 01 2021 04:38 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Did Autocorrect get you guys? AARP = American Association of Retired People. Knowing their politics, I'm sure Jerry isn't a member. wink
I'm sure you meant ARP, which sells high strength head bolts and stud kits.

Good reminder to get your torque wrenches actually calibrated every now and then. Not just checking against how another one feels, but actually putting a known torque load on them.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
FarmerPaul #1422596 Wed Sep 01 2021 05:00 PM
B
'Bolter
ARP has a kit P/N 155-4002. Kit for a F--d 427 SOHC 427. You end up with 4 extra short studs, washers & nuts but cheaper than purchasing open stock parts.

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
FarmerPaul #1422600 Wed Sep 01 2021 05:12 PM
H
Thanks Kevin- - - -that bunch definitely doesn't float my boat, mainly over their 2nd. Amendment policies. All fixed now! I pay a calibration lab a small fee to check my Snap-On torque wrench once a year, as the investigation reports I send concerning wheel loss accidents have the possibility of ending up in court. Anybody who bets his engine job on an unknown torque wrench would probably draw to an inside straight- - - -let's play some high-stakes poker!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop