The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Bolter Finally, buoymaker, BC59, 3hansens, five-oh, 3B, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics125,395
Posts1,012,512
Members45,220
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3-speed tranny woes
#1421975 Thu Aug 26 2021 09:56 PM
S
'Bolter
This happened several months ago and I’ve been too embarrassed to post it in the forum, so here goes……

On the way from San Antonio to New Braunfels (35 miles) my three-on-the-tree started jumping out of third gear. I would clutch it and drop it back down into third and it would be good for a few miles, and then suddenly jump out of gear again. I was worried but continued, and had a good day with my truck buddies. On the return trip the tranny wouldn’t stay in 3rd gear for more than 100 ft. Then it got so bad that it wouldn’t even go into 3rd. I limped all the way home in 2nd gear. Anyone want to take a guess what the problem is?

Thanks!

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Re: 3-speed tranny woes
Spotbiltxo #1421992 Fri Aug 27 2021 12:22 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Could be a worn synchronizer, first not allowing it to be fully engaged, then blocking it completely. I think you're going to have to open the tranny up to see what's going on.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Spotbiltxo #1421993 Fri Aug 27 2021 12:22 AM
C
'Bolter
I would check the linkage first. It may be so sloppy that it doesn't go into gear all the way. The shift forks in the shift cover wear and they jump out of gear but I don't think it would get progressively worse that quick. Have you checked the oil in the transmission? If it isn't the linkage, there is a good chance you are ready for a transmission rebuild.

Spotbiltxo #1421995 Fri Aug 27 2021 12:33 AM
H
'Bolter
Since you have conveniently forgotten to mention which vehicle you were driving, it's hard to give any specific suggestions. All of the ones in your list have torque tubes, however, and one just might have a vacuum-assisted column shifter. Those things were notorious for getting stiff and not letting the transmission go into gear, or get partially engaged and wear out the drive lugs of the gears. In any case, a disassembly and inspection is probably in order, followed by a search for some scarce and very expensive parts. Good luck!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Spotbiltxo #1422013 Fri Aug 27 2021 02:28 AM
S
'Bolter
My apologies Jerry! It’s the 3-speed in my 1950 Chevy half ton.

I’ll crawl underneath it this weekend to check on the linkage, but I’m not expecting to find anything out of adjustment. I figure it’s in the gears, or synchronizer, as klhansen suggested.

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Spotbiltxo #1422016 Fri Aug 27 2021 02:45 AM
H
'Bolter
Unfortunately, the most likely culprit, the 2-3 synchronizer assembly, is scarce, and extremely expensive when you manage to find one. You're more likely to be able to find a complete transmission from someone who has removed the stovebolt six and column shift 3 speed and replaced them with a "belly button" ("Everybody's got one") small block V8.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Spotbiltxo #1422083 Fri Aug 27 2021 09:25 PM
C
'Bolter
Sounds like yours went quick. One day the 3-Speed in my '66 GMC popped out of 3rd. Overtime time it would pop out a little more and a little more. It finally got to where I had to hold it in 3rd. Then I was fighting it to stay into 3rd, lol. Bad synchronizer. Put in another Trans and my misery was over.

'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop