The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Dakotabolt, '37 barn find, Rsqwhite), 101 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,470
Posts1,031,724
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Radio??????
#1420206 Wed Aug 11 2021 01:05 AM
D
Dendo Offline OP
'Bolter
Hello folks,
Have any of you installed a AM/FM stereo with Bluetooth , that you didn’t cut the dash. 12 volt, I’m looking for one that has the Bluetooth built-in . I’m wanting to stream music through the Bluetooth. Please let me know what you have if you don’t where you purchased the unit. A picture would really be nice.

Thank you
Dendo
email dennis1959@bellsouth.net

Re: Radio??????
Dendo #1420236 Wed Aug 11 2021 07:12 AM
F
'Bolter
What year truck?

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.
Dendo #1420248 Wed Aug 11 2021 12:14 PM
P
AD Addict
They make new ones that fit the original opening. Most venders carry them. Look in eBay and fo a search for “1952 Chevy Truck Radio” and substitute your year for 1952.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Dendo #1430887 Sun Nov 21 2021 05:35 PM
N
'Bolter
Read the reviews carefully, I bought a well known brand name radio which was far from inexpensive, but this year (just off warranty) the audio adjustment quit. It's not mechanical either, its a failed capacitor or chip somewhere so basically junk now.

That said, it did fit nicely.

I can't believe I don't have a photograph of it - I'll try and remember to grab one today. Would have it out driving today but it's pouring rain.

Last edited by NorthCoast3800; Sun Nov 21 2021 11:36 PM.

1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid.
Dendo #1430891 Sun Nov 21 2021 06:22 PM
K
'Bolter
I would contact them and maybe it can be fixed, I would hope they would rather have a happy customer than one that would report back to every one that owns a old truck that they don’t last.

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage [stovebolt.com]
Dendo #1430902 Sun Nov 21 2021 07:22 PM
W
'Bolter
As far as location is concerned, I put a modern radio in the glove box. A faceplate with knobs plug up the original holes.

Attached Files
Radios Old and New.jpg (39.61 KB, 143 downloads)

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
KEVINSKI #1430930 Sun Nov 21 2021 11:36 PM
N
'Bolter
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
I would contact them and maybe it can be fixed, I would hope they would rather have a happy customer than one that would report back to every one that owns a old truck that they don’t last.

Excellent point, Kevinski. I'll remove the brand name from my post as I don't want it to come off like a criticism. They look good.

The point I intended to make there was simply to check the reviews and make a fully informed decision. The issue I ran into turned out to be commonly reported (but I didn't research it before I bought it).

Wally / Montana #1430984 Mon Nov 22 2021 04:12 PM
F
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
As far as location is concerned, I put a modern radio in the glove box. A faceplate with knobs plug up the original holes.

I have seens this idea mentioned a few times. Do you have to cut out the back of the glove box to make it fit? Or just punch a hole for the wirinf?

Dendo #1430987 Mon Nov 22 2021 04:51 PM
W
'Bolter
The radio fit fine but you might make some measurements. I attached it to a 1x4 using the little screw holes in the bottom of the radio. I then bolted the 1x4 through the bottom of the glove box. You can see the bolt head in the picture.

A cheap $70 Insignia radio didn't last long. My '48 rides like a truck.

My much nicer $70 Sony has lasted for years.

Last edited by Wally / Montana; Mon Nov 22 2021 04:52 PM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

29 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Dendo #1430997 Mon Nov 22 2021 06:55 PM
M
'Bolter
I bought a $30 radio a $10 antenna and a pair of $30 speakers from wally world. My radio has been floating around unmounted in the glove box for three years with out a problem. The antenna is in the glove box as well and comes in fine. I didn't want to bastardize my 6 volt system so I wired the cigar lighter and the radio to a solar panel on my tool box. People have asked if my truck is solar powered.

Attached Files
IMG_1454.JPG (365.91 KB, 96 downloads)
Last edited by msmall; Wed Nov 24 2021 10:13 AM.
Dendo #1431012 Mon Nov 22 2021 09:54 PM
B
Curmudgeon
You can buy a "hidden radio" that you can mount practically anywhere, even under your seat.
You will need to buy a 6 Volt to 12 Volt converter if your truck is 6 volts.
It comes with a battery operated remote control and BT built-in to the unit.
I suppose you could link it to your SMID (social media insanity device) but I wouldn't do it.
These old trucks need both hands on the steering wheel and eyes looking out the windshield.

Last edited by buoymaker; Mon Nov 22 2021 09:59 PM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Dendo #1431079 Tue Nov 23 2021 06:32 PM
E
'Bolter
I got one of these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087FWD6C4/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1
I have the three knob version, with power/volume, bass, and treble. It's the size of a pack of playing cards, and I zip-tied it to the bottom of my dash. I have a pair of 4" speakers mounted in a $6 plastic ammo box from Northern Tool that is stuck up in the stock speaker location. It is Bluetooth or aux-in only, so I play it off my phone or iPod. It sounds decent, but I can't hear it well at speed. I intend to redo my exhaust soon and getting the glass pack muffler out from under my feet, and end of the pipe out to the back bumper, I'm hoping some of the noise in the cab will go away. I'm also considering making a wood speaker box since I think it would sound better than the plastic ammo box. If your truck is on the quieter side, this may work for you and not cost too much.

Dendo #1431165 Wed Nov 24 2021 05:04 AM
K
'Bolter
Eric what do you use to power this gizmo do you use the 6 volts from the truck battery ?looks interesting for the price .

Dendo #1431168 Wed Nov 24 2021 06:09 AM
F
'Bolter
Yeah, I like the look of that too. Mount it in the glove box and have it paired to the bluetooth.

Dendo #1431276 Thu Nov 25 2021 02:27 AM
E
'Bolter
12 volts in mine. It uses one of those plugs like in the picture- I don't think it came with the plug- I think I salvaged one off an AC/DC converter for an old portable DVD player or something, or I may have bought a plug and hooked the wires up to it, I can't remember. It's powered off the post on the ammeter and grounded to the dash. I suspect it has a slight draw even when it's off, but that type of plug is easy to pull out and leave hanging for days I'm not driving, and put back in when I take the truck out. I guess I could wire it off the ignition switch to take care of the draw issue, but then I couldn't turn the radio on with the key off.

EchoBravoSierra #1431280 Thu Nov 25 2021 03:11 AM
P
AD Addict
Originally Posted by EchoBravoSierra
I'm also considering making a wood speaker box since I think it would sound better than the plastic ammo box.

Line the inside of the plastic box with carpet foam and it will improve the sound!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Dendo #1431284 Thu Nov 25 2021 03:59 AM
K
'Bolter
I may give this a try ,I think it would work on the 6 volt system .

KEVINSKI #1431606 Sun Nov 28 2021 01:23 AM
E
'Bolter
Near the power input on the case of the unit and in a couple of other images/diagrams and spec lists on the page it says DC 9-24 V, but I also see one part of the page that says 5-24 V so I guess it's worth a shot and you can buy a voltage converter of some type later if it won't work on 6.

Dendo #1431643 Sun Nov 28 2021 03:08 PM
S
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Phak1
Line the inside of the plastic box with carpet foam and it will improve the sound!

Also, adding poly-fil (super cheap stuff used for stuffing pillows) is a GREAT way to improve the sound of any sealed or ported speaker enclosure. It also fools the speaker into thinking the enclosure is larger than it is. Improves frequency response and deadens the resonance of the enclosure, "tightening" up the entire frequency range. Fill the enclosure with poly-fil very loosely, you don't want it packed in there tight!

Last edited by stlcardinalsguy; Sun Nov 28 2021 03:10 PM.

Mason

1947 Chevy 3100
-57 Chevy 235
-93 S10 T5 Transmission
-97 Blazer 3.42 Rear End
Dendo #1432095 Thu Dec 02 2021 05:02 PM
J
'Bolter
NorthCoast3800, if you get no joy with the maker of your radio, please don't junk it. Instead, please me know what happens (PM me or send email to jon_goodman@yahoo.com). I can't promise anything, but we may be able to consider some alternatives. Way too many capacitors and IC chips are coming from China during the global electronic component shortage. Some are not too bad and some are downright dangerous. And as you would expect, the least expensive ones are the worst by far. I've seen some that failed in less than 1 year and I just had to replace 2 capacitors in a computer power supply. One of them literally exploded. Not something you want happening in a metal box which converts 110 AC to 3.3v, 5 v and 12 v DC.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1432199 Fri Dec 03 2021 06:16 PM
N
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Jon G
NorthCoast3800, if you get no joy with the maker of your radio, please don't junk it. Instead, please me know what happens (PM me or send email to jon_goodman@yahoo.com). I can't promise anything, but we may be able to consider some alternatives. Way too many capacitors and IC chips are coming from China during the global electronic component shortage. Some are not too bad and some are downright dangerous. And as you would expect, the least expensive ones are the worst by far. I've seen some that failed in less than 1 year and I just had to replace 2 capacitors in a computer power supply. One of them literally exploded. Not something you want happening in a metal box which converts 110 AC to 3.3v, 5 v and 12 v DC.

Thanks Jon G; if it's not an obvious fix then I'll be donating it to a fellow 'Bolter who reached out about doing the same thing. So it won't go to waste. I simply don't have time to spend on trying to work it out, I get the basics (and I've changed capacitors in the speedometer and such in my daily driver '94 F150 and some other electronics over the years) but the real troubleshooting of that sort of thing is a little over my head. Every year I seem to be able to fill the brain a little more beyond capacity smile

I'll be trying out another brand although they all look the same and I fully expect everything comes out of the same factory. Roll the dice one more time I guess, I do enjoy how they look. I do not enjoy spending the money, but... take the good with the bad right?

The other day I had it out for the last drive of the season (nice sunny day and before they started salting the roads) and it was around 30 degrees Fahrenheit, everything worked as normal for the first five minutes lol. But the control quit pretty fast after warming up. Ah well.

Dendo #1432218 Fri Dec 03 2021 08:55 PM
J
'Bolter
If the problem is temperature sensitive, that tells me almost certainly we're looking at a failed/failing capacitor. Where that capacitor is located could be the mystery.

If the other member changes his mind, please let me know.

I'm certain you know this already, but if you remove enough sheet metal to allow you to see the component parts, please look for capacitors which are swelled, bowed at the top and/or bottom, leaking anywhere (you will usually see a whitish stain on the phenolic board) but most commonly at the bottom...anything like that. And these will nearly always be electrolytic capacitors (look like a tiny beer can in ways)...although today some of the newer variety of capacitors (non polarized) will be made to mimic this same look. The trick comes in the integrated circuit chips. Those will contain transistors, diodes, resistors...and capacitors. When the capacitor part of those fail, the chip is toast and those can be devilish difficult to diagnose and replace. Often you simply can't find the right IC. Electronic supply houses sell chiller spray. You can use that while the radio is powered up to test capacitors. Spray each one a bit and if the radio starts working correctly, you have found the culprit. Recently I purchased some pre-made circuit boards from a Chinese company for a test project with which I'm involved. What I learned was surprising...one board had a defective variable resistor but the rest of the circuit was ok. I figured I could just replace it and move forward, but the Chinese had built it on one thin and flimsy printed circuit board and then had laminated a thicker and more durable board to the bottom of it, making a phenolic sandwich. So, you could not un-solder and change any of the pass-through mounted parts. For what it is worth my uncle made capacitors for use in radios during the 1940s. A lot of people did that as a cottage industry (lunch money, basically). The war effort had depleted the supply and makers of radios were contracting with people to make them at home for pennies each.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1432578 Mon Dec 06 2021 11:58 PM
N
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Jon G
If the problem is temperature sensitive, that tells me almost certainly we're looking at a failed/failing capacitor. Where that capacitor is located could be the mystery.

If the other member changes his mind, please let me know.

I'm certain you know this already, but if you remove enough sheet metal to allow you to see the component parts, please look for capacitors which are swelled, bowed at the top and/or bottom, leaking anywhere (you will usually see a whitish stain on the phenolic board) but most commonly at the bottom...anything like that. And these will nearly always be electrolytic capacitors (look like a tiny beer can in ways)...although today some of the newer variety of capacitors (non polarized) will be made to mimic this same look. The trick comes in the integrated circuit chips. Those will contain transistors, diodes, resistors...and capacitors. When the capacitor part of those fail, the chip is toast and those can be devilish difficult to diagnose and replace. Often you simply can't find the right IC. Electronic supply houses sell chiller spray. You can use that while the radio is powered up to test capacitors. Spray each one a bit and if the radio starts working correctly, you have found the culprit. Recently I purchased some pre-made circuit boards from a Chinese company for a test project with which I'm involved. What I learned was surprising...one board had a defective variable resistor but the rest of the circuit was ok. I figured I could just replace it and move forward, but the Chinese had built it on one thin and flimsy printed circuit board and then had laminated a thicker and more durable board to the bottom of it, making a phenolic sandwich. So, you could not un-solder and change any of the pass-through mounted parts. For what it is worth my uncle made capacitors for use in radios during the 1940s. A lot of people did that as a cottage industry (lunch money, basically). The war effort had depleted the supply and makers of radios were contracting with people to make them at home for pennies each.

Jon G, thanks for the response (and sorry for my delay here it's always hectic, especially so this time of year).

Good reminders and advice above, I'll take a look - I do actually have a supply of capacitors on hand. If the solution is obvious, I may take a shot; if not then I'll pass it along. Not sure when but in theory, I have my Christmas vacation coming up.

NC3800

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop