The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (NorthCoast3800, klhansen, ronsway, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,721
Posts1,006,680
Members45,016
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sandblasting vs wire wheel vs scotchbright for rust removal?
#1419430 Wed Aug 04 2021 06:33 PM
F
'Bolter
I pulled up the sketchy carpet in the cab of my 58 and the floor has a fair amount of surface rust, but appears solid.

I want to clean the rust off and get some fresh paint on it to keep it from degrading any further. In the past I have always used an angle grinder with a brass wire wheel for bulk rust removal and done the final cleanup with a hand drill and a scotch bright pad. In doing some more reading, it seems like a fair number of body people say that using those will just drive the rust particles deeper into the metal (to emerge later) and that the only good answer is to sandblast it.

How true is that? My long term goal is to have a reasonably nice truck that I can pass down to my kids to use as a truck. It will never be perfect and never be a trailer queen. I would prefer to avoid sandblasting because I am not set up to do that large of a project myself. I can pull the seat and the fuel tank and do the floor in sections. I figure I will pull the body mount bolts one at a time and do the floor in quarters (pull one, prep/paint that area, new bolt, repeat) so that the cab hopefully won't be able to shift while I am working.

At some point the dash will get pulled to fix where someone hacked up the center section, but I would like to prep/paint the floor sooner than that.

Attached Files
DSC_3462.JPG (307.19 KB, 183 downloads)

58 Apache, long bed fleetside, V8 w/SM420
Drivable but the rear axle needs work.

59 Apache, long bed fleetside, half of an L6, 3 on the tree
Bought by my dad out of a field for $100 to build with my brother. He never touched it, so now it is mine if I can figure out how to get it down from Alaska.
Re: Sandblasting vs wire wheel vs scotchbright for rust removal?
Fibonachu #1419435 Wed Aug 04 2021 07:09 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
You might try a product called Evap-O-Rust.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Fibonachu #1419442 Wed Aug 04 2021 08:11 PM
F
'Bolter
I have seen people talk about evap-o-rust online, but never known anyone that used it themselves. Does it actually work as well as they claim?

I would probably still go over the whole thing with a wire brush just to make sure there are not any loose bits, but if that stuff does work, it would be a *lot* less work.

Bought by my dad out of a field for $100 to build with my brother. He never touched it, so now it is mine if I can figure out how to get it down from Alaska.
Fibonachu #1419451 Wed Aug 04 2021 09:47 PM
J
'Bolter
It works ok...about like any rust remover or rust converter. The main thing to remember is there is no magic product out there. The secondary thing to keep in mind is you have to be able to clean off whatever you've applied. With some products that isn't so easy. A few years ago the hot answer was to use molasses to remove rust. But it turns out that isn't quite the miracle all these people on the internet said it was. And some say baking soda, but I haven't tried that. One guy around here for a while was saying to soak the rusted parts in water. I figured he was kidding or possibly crazy.

You can use phosphoric acid and neutralize it with soda and then just wash off the remaining residue. And you can use very strong vinegar (25% or so), but you need to be careful with any acid not to leave it on too long and be certain to neutralize it at the end of your work. I've heard some say oxalic acid or citric acid and a product named CLR can also be helpful. Just remember to neutralize it.

Good luck!

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Fibonachu #1419452 Wed Aug 04 2021 09:55 PM
B
Sir Searchalot
DO NOT sandblast/media blast inside the cab. No matter what you do, you can't get it all out. Wire wheel does not "drive in rust". You can't "drive in" rust. Just do a good job and use Rustoleum Automotive Rust Reformer. (spray can). It is made for a situation like yours. The can says just remove loose rust and scale. You will be doing much more than that. There are other "encapsulator"/reformer/converter products. Use whatever you like. The wire wheel is the answer for a floor.

Instructions [rustoleum.com]

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Fibonachu #1419468 Thu Aug 05 2021 01:03 AM
F
'Bolter
Thanks Bartamos, I have been using a wire wheel for 30 years and always been happy with the results. That said, I also don't want to keep doing the same old thing just because that is what I have always done.

That rust reformer does look like a final step. Like you said, I will get it as bare as I can before I put it on.

My intention is to strip/paint it, then put a heat shield in and get one of the LMC poly floormats for it.

Fibonachu #1419472 Thu Aug 05 2021 01:21 AM
W
back yard wrench turner
For rust, I like Master Series Silver: https://masterseriesct.com/

This product is amazing for sealing rust.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
-30-Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
Fibonachu #1419473 Thu Aug 05 2021 01:31 AM
'Bolter
...and to add another view. I've had real good results with POR-15. Some prep work, like anything else, is needed but POR15 is some tuff stuff. Its "my choice". ....like I said, just another view point and I've used it on 3 vehicles so far. Chassis and floor pans.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #1419489 Thu Aug 05 2021 05:00 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
I also second POR-15 with a note. Do not wire wheel the rust off before hand. If you want to knock it down, sand it with some 80 grit and blow away. If you wire wheel it, it will peel off in sheets because the wire wheel polishes the steel smooth. The POR needs that rough surface to bind to. If it gets a good base, it is nearly impossible to get off.

Don’t get it on your hands, or your students will be asking you to wash your hands for the next 2 weeks at least.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.
1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife’s

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Fibonachu #1419502 Thu Aug 05 2021 01:27 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
I bought an Eastwood contour SCT a while back, this thing is great for metal prep and rust removal. There are plenty of different media heads available for it to handle what ever your working on.

Attached Files
Contour-SCT.jpg (112.29 KB, 112 downloads)
Contour SCT

Craig

Come, Bleed or Blister something has got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop