The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Time to gathering together!
Fall Happenings
Since we put up promos last two weeks, we have had a bunch of activity in
The Side Lot.
See what's happening with a Stovebolt Collective near you

THE SIDE LOT
From Coast to Coast and some International gatherings listed, too.

Next up: too many to list!

THE SIDE LOT.

Go see!

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Gdads51, 55shaker, 3B, Justhorsenround, Bill Trotter, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics129,171
Posts1,047,447
Members46,209
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1419159 Mon Aug 02 2021 06:19 PM
D
'Bolter
I have been watching a couple different trucks in an online auction from an estate collection in Canada. auction ends in a couple weeks. Have any of you brought a truck in from Canada before? What are the oh sh**s? Are there any? International tariffs/fees that would add to the cost of the truck. Anything else special?

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
T
'Bolter
DISCLAIMER: I haven't brought a truck over the Canadian border, but have purchased out of state. (MO)

I wouldn't expect there to be anything different about an out of state purchase, other than duty/tax being collected at the border. If you are lucky they will apply use tax and not take it at the border, and if that is the case you will be required to file for the use tax on your income taxes.

In order to register out of state vehicles most states require you get a certified weight certificate. You should be able to find a truck stop in your area that will be able to do that.

Other than that, it's mostly waiting for the DMV to process it. I was able to register my '46 and it isn't required to pass smog. Just as expected. Not sure if Covid will have any impact on crossing the border or not, but you might be able to check with customs to find out.

One note on trucks. You can register them as non-commercial, but legally you're not allowed to haul anything in the bed. In order to legally haul ANYTHING you must have a commercial license. That's pretty standard for trucks however.

Ex Hall Monitor
Visit with your state licensing authority. Tell them what you want to do and ask them about costs and requirements.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
J
'Bolter
You need to get a "Sellers Package" for the truck. They are available from the DOT in Canada. This will show that there are no liens on the vehicle. You will also need to let US customs and Canada customs that you will be presenting a vehicle to them for export, at least 48 hours before you arrive at the border. They will inspect the truck and confirm the serial numbers match the paper work, charge you taxes and you will be given notice to transfer it into your name in your home state.

'Bolter
I purchased a Pete and Jakes frame for a hot rod from a guy in Canada. Let me tell you it’s a mess to get it out of Canada. You need to be sure you know what it’s going to cost to get it out of Canada before you buy. Fed Ex agreed to do the freight for me but you have to pay for a Canadian agent and there is a fee which was huge. To make a long story short to get it out of Canada may cost you more than the truck. Be careful.

K
'Bolter
What province is the truck from . They all may be a little different for buying .Hemings has a article about importing that may answere a few of your questions.

Last edited by KEVINSKI; Fri Dec 17 2021 04:17 AM. Reason: More imfo

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage [stovebolt.com]
D
'Bolter
I purchased a different truck inside the US.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop