The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
E V E N T Highlight

Southern
"STOVEBOLT"
Jamboree 2022
July 8 and 9
Lebanon TN

The Southern Bolters are planning their area get together in
conjunction with the
Southeast Truck Nationals at Cedars of Lebanon State Park (TN)

Check out the details, with new info on the Southern Bolters forum.

Plenty of other events in the Side Lot

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (Fox, five-oh, Hotrod Lincoln, JiMerit Boltr#43, 69Cuda, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics127,968
Posts1,036,056
Members45,902
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AD8 Offline OP
'Bolter
Looking for a good place to start troubleshooting a little problem.

This happened once a while back, a month or so later. Yesterday, again, now it's time to figure it out.

When backing down the driveway to park, in reverse (stock, column shift, 235), while fine-tuning the truck into position, the clutch pedal will be in and out, as needed, alternating between brake and gas. When it came time to finally stop and shut down, I depressed the clutch, applied the brakes and attempted to move gearshift lever from reverse to neutral - but the lever was stuck, it would not disengage. I pumped the clutch and felt a loss of pedal. As the truck was still in gear and moving backward, I turned off the key. I pumped the clutch again, depressed the pedal and the lever moved without resistance into neutral. Pedal pressure returned.

Never any problems in forward gears. No sticking, popping out of gear, stiffness or grindng. Always smooth action going through the gears, up and down.

Master cylinder is full. Original master and slave, on truck.

I haven't owned a manual trans in years (though have driven a lot of them). Looking for a good starting point to solve this problem.

Thanks,

AD8

R
'Bolter
Generally worn bushings on the shift linkage components are the first thing to check and the easiest parts to replace. However, since you have the original clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, they are likely candidates. That truck also has a hydraulic hose as part of the configuration. As in any hydraulic system a partially collapsed hose can cause problems.
Fred

1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
T
'Bolter
The 1st and Reverse do not have a synchro on them, so my guess is the teeth are possibly damaged on your Reverse, the reverse slides on the 1st gear as I recall.

Other than making sure your clutch is in decent shape, you might need to check that Reverse gear or the gear on the counter shaft. Often when a synchro sticks it can be the shift fork, and can hard to get out of gear. Since there is no shift fork for non-synchro gears, you don't have too much else aside from the gear.

R
'Bolter
Yes, first and reverse are not syncronized but they are still operated by a shift fork on the side cover. The L/R slider gear slides on the outer sleeve of the syncronizer drum and either engages the low gear on the cluster gear or the reverse idler which is on a separate shaft in the case. In this situation it is more than likely a clutch related problem.
Fred

T
'Bolter
Originally Posted by rfs56trk
Yes, first and reverse are not syncronized but they are still operated by a shift fork on the side cover. The L/R slider gear slides on the outer sleeve of the syncronizer drum and either engages the low gear on the cluster gear or the reverse idler which is on a separate shaft in the case. In this situation it is more than likely a clutch related problem.
Fred

It is possible that the fork is damaged, if it does have one. No way to know unless you open it up and can get a good view of the gears and fork. Not a lot to those little boxes.

R
'Bolter
I guess when you rebuild over 100 of these transmissions you will know "if it does have one".
Fred

T
'Bolter
Originally Posted by rfs56trk
I guess when you rebuild over 100 of these transmissions you will know "if it does have one".
Fred
I hope I never reach that point. I want to rebuild one single T5, and possibly 1 3-speed, but I will most likely sell the 3-speed cheap and not do anything to it. I have a 2nd one in my truck at the moment. I do primarily only plan to rebuild my T5.

I would rather spend my time behind the wheel, not under the hood... wink

Carry on! smile

P
AD Addict
Sounds to me like a hydraulic issue. I would replace any hose first, as it may be collapsing on the inside. If that doesn’t work, it’s time to rebuild the master and slave cylinders. I would start with the master since I believe you may need to remove the tranny to service the slave. Maybe a fellow ‘bolter can chime in to verify.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
A
AD8 Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks to all for your time insight.

Not much time over this last weekend to do very much. I checked the bushings, alignment at bottom of steering shaft and did a little lubrication.

I took the truck out last night. No issues backing out of various parking spots on the short trip. Upon arrival home, when backing down the driveway into the garage, from time to time, I would move from reverse to neutral, just to check function. All was well, until the last maneuver. Inside the garage, cutting it tight to the wall, I was parked and ready to shut down. The lever stuck in reverse once again.

Then I recalled... the only instances where this problem occured was when the wheel was cranked hard, at low speed, one way or the other. Could there be some bending or flexing at these extremes that is interfering with the normal function of the linkage, as it is tied to the steering shaft?

I have a friend coming by later in the week to operate behind the wheel while the invetigation continues.

Thanks again!

R
'Bolter
Loose or worn out motor mounts may contribute to the problem.

Fred

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop