The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (coilover, crenwelge, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,066
Posts1,018,872
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3100 Truck Radio
#1418294 Tue Jul 27 2021 02:59 AM
D
dougs Offline OP
'Bolter
What company does the best job to modernize a 3100 original tube radio to just play FM stations with volume control.
Thanks
Doug

Re: 3100 Truck Radio
dougs #1418338 Tue Jul 27 2021 04:21 PM
B
Curmudgeon
To modernize an original radio retaining the original AM, you first have to do a complete restoration of the AM and all the mechanical parts. The original tuner is shared with the FM. Depending on what needs to be replaced, kiss $200-300 goodbye. Then after realignment of the tuner section and final testing, the small piggy-back FM board is added. It taps into the existing amplifier and part of the tuner section to give you mono FM. Your AM antenna is satisfactory for mono FM. You have the option to reuse the original face and knobs or have new reproduction ones install. It's a matter of taste.

If this is what you want then go with someone who has good experience with rebuilding AM tube radios. It's a dying art. This will narrow the field down. Then it's a matter of choosing which business offers the piggy-back board design that offers the options you want.

If you only want to play FM and nothing else, it's not logical to gut the original radio and replace with FM parts. You still have to use the mechanical parts of the old tuner and adapt it to work with the new FM tuner.

Search the Internet for "hidden stereo" for a cost effective option.

Last edited by buoymaker; Tue Jul 27 2021 04:40 PM.
dougs #1418388 Tue Jul 27 2021 07:37 PM
D
dougs Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks for responding. But all I want is for the radio knobs and face plate to look original but only play fm.

dougs #1418390 Tue Jul 27 2021 07:45 PM
K
'Bolter
The aftermarket original looking radios are pricey but I think to make a old one new again and play fm it would also be expensive. If you have a 6 volt system there is added cost for the voltage booster.If you have a original radio and don’t want to fix it up they are worth a good dollar so you may consider selling it to put toward a new one that looks origional

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage [stovebolt.com]
dougs #1418421 Wed Jul 28 2021 12:11 AM
B
Curmudgeon
* I want a paper newspaper delivered to my house but everybody is getting news online now and the paper carriers no longer serves my area. I have to drive 5 miles to buy one.
* I want to keep my landline telephone and don't like hand held devices but everybody is switching over to cells and the landline company is going bankrupt. Landline service is poor now.

The world changes.

The old analog tuners for AM and FM are very expensive to make today and nobody want's to buy them. Everybody wants digital high power AM/FM and DAB digital tuners, stereo, Bluetooth and remote control.

You can buy this:
https://www.classicparts.com/1947-53-Original-Style-Repro-AM_FM-Radio-Chevrolet/productinfo/69-801/

Look at this website:
https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html

Click on the dealers button. Find a dealer closest to you and give them a call. Tell them what you want and get a quote.

dougs #1418425 Wed Jul 28 2021 12:20 AM
J
'Bolter
I had the original radio restored for my 46 and changed to 12 volt, after that expense it's still an old radio. So if I had it to do over would have picked up a modern unit and put it out of site (glove box or under the seat, needs modern power etc etc.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy [stovebolt.com]
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed [stovebolt.com]
JiMerit Boltr#43 #1418818 Fri Jul 30 2021 11:52 PM
T
'Bolter
Originally Posted by JiMerit Boltr#43
I had the original radio restored for my 46 and changed to 12 volt, after that expense it's still an old radio. So if I had it to do over would have picked up a modern unit and put it out of site (glove box or under the seat, needs modern power etc etc.
That's exactly what I've been thinking, but would like to have an Apple CarPlay enabled tablet that could connect to it and/or allow me to play music from my iPhone.

I do currently use my iPhone for navigation, but would like something larger that is easier to see. I find the navigation indispensable for me.

I've seen some radios that have an extension for the table to connect, and if something like that could be hid in the glove box, that would be perfect for me.

dougs #1418822 Sat Jul 31 2021 12:45 AM
B
Curmudgeon
Remember the old TV series, My Favorite Martian"? Ray Walston with antennas rising out of his head.
Rather than modify these wonderful old trucks, why not modify the humans who drive them?

dougs #1418829 Sat Jul 31 2021 01:53 AM
'Bolter
May as well not make this post as I do not remember the name of the company which seems like it was in Ala. or maybe Miss.
but they take your old radio, keep it looking the same but "convert" it to just what your looking for. I think the cost was about $400 bucks but after dropping $379 to get an AM radio rebuilt I sure wish now I had pony up for the true conversion.....
If I can find the name in the next day or two I'll come back and post. Do it once....do it right.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
dougs #1418851 Sat Jul 31 2021 05:22 AM
T
'Bolter
I was just looking on Ebay, and I see some 7" and 9" CarPlay screens that hook up to your phone, and it charges your phone while it uses it for the navigation. $100-$125 and most will connect to Apple or Android. They also include a backup camera. Will allow you to play music from your phone through bluetooth as well.

A mount that would hold the screen on the back of the glove box door, flip it down and when you're done close it up in the glove box. The mount would face the driver of course.

If you own a show queen, this is probably not a solution for you, but then again, you won't be driving your truck much if it's a show queen so you probably don't need navigation.

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop