The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (forman, Phak1, Gooberdog, MuddButtBaits, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,606
Posts1,005,707
Members44,983
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
52 Windshield Sealant
#1418269 Tue Jul 27 2021 12:12 AM
S
'Bolter
Will be replacing one piece windshield rubber seal soon and I’ve never done one, yet alone replaced glass. I do have a “truck shop manual” for 48-51/52 supplement. It does explain how to replace, but my question actually is what/which recommended caulking or seal should be used when I go to put rubber seal and glass back on?
I did buy some 3M strips in a box as they are about the size of a pencil and also in length.
Thnx in advance.
sambo

sambo42xa-Southern NH
“all my responses are My own opinions and/or suggestions. I do not claim to know all there is to know, but I May have dealt with it before and offering my knowledge”
I can also be a smart ****, but it’s all good, so don’t take offense.
Re: 52 Windshield Sealant
sambo42xa #1418276 Tue Jul 27 2021 12:58 AM
'Bolter
Hi
This is what I learned after doing a couple windshields myself (yes it’s possible to do alone but tricky and you should probably have help)

Install the rubber and glass without any compounds or else you will get it everywhere while fitting the rubber and glass
If you need lubrications use a small amount of plain water or soapy water

After you get the rubber and glass in and dry off all the water mess if any
mask off the exterior body and glass with good painters tape
Use many small wedges and open up the rubber to metal and pump in RTV black silicone in the gap
Massage it all down pulling out the spacer wedges and wipe off excess
Repeat for the rubber to glass outside
Then remove the masking
And enjoy your water tight glass forever
If done right you will never be able to push this glass out again
The rubber will have to be cut to remove the glass

RTV black is good to fill rubber gaps if they shrink or crack
It’s uV stable and very sticky and bonds well

Re: 52 Windshield Sealant
sambo42xa #1419997 Mon Aug 09 2021 07:42 PM
S
'Bolter
Well I got it installed and it sucked! Bought 1/4” nylon rope and fit it in the rubber channel. Used the Black rtv around rubber seal. Installed w another person and the rope did work to a point but tore the rubber in some area’s. Yep, it was a mess w the rtv everywhere. Used the Black rtv on the seal and glass side also. My only problem now are the top and bottom holes on the new seal do not light up with the inner and outer trim moldings in center of windshield. The two middle ones line up fine.
Now to try and figure out on correcting this.
“rubber seal/channel”= the new one piece windshield rubber seal.
Thnx for the suggestion/s.

sambo42xa-Southern NH
“all my responses are My own opinions and/or suggestions. I do not claim to know all there is to know, but I May have dealt with it before and offering my knowledge”
I can also be a smart ****, but it’s all good, so don’t take offense.

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop