The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Donf, 3B, DennisM, DES57, Fireman30, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,608
Posts1,005,713
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1940 Cab Floor Repair
#1418219 Mon Jul 26 2021 02:47 PM
J
JoeR Offline OP
'Bolter
I've been going through the '40 to see just how much work is going to be needed to make it a driver. Someone put a pair of bucket seats in it at some point but fortunately the original seat frame and springs are in the bed so I can put that back in once it's reupholstered. Some of the cab floor panels have been replaced but some are needed, especially the where the rear of the cab mounts to the frame. I've attached photos of what they look like now. I've been trying to search for replacements but can't seem to locate them. Perhaps I'm using the wrong terms when I search. I've tried cab panels, cab floor panels, cab floor but I'm not finding anything. If anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it. I've also been looking for a pair of front fenders that are not fiberglass, and running boards that have the ridges in them. I've located the smooth ones and rubber mats that just about cover the entire board but I can't seem to find a source for boards with the ridges.

Joe

Attached Files
cab floor 2.jpg (50.6 KB, 115 downloads)
cab floor 3.jpg (51.74 KB, 115 downloads)
Re: 1940 Cab Floor Repair
JoeR #1418290 Tue Jul 27 2021 02:15 AM
H
'Bolter
Give these folks a all and ask them about a pan for your truck. They advertise a 1947-54 complete floor pan.

https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-...nrHnUAFzfhoC1a0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Harold

Last edited by Harold46; Tue Jul 27 2021 02:16 AM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
JoeR #1418299 Tue Jul 27 2021 03:28 AM
J
JoeR Offline OP
'Bolter
Hi Harold. I think I found it at Jim Carters. I needed to search for a 4 speed floor pan.

JoeR #1418310 Tue Jul 27 2021 11:45 AM
H
'Bolter
Joe,

Be careful. The floor pan I see from JC is the pan that goes between the front seat and the firewall.
https://oldchevytrucks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=1940+floor+pan
In you post you were asking about replacement for the rear corners.
Harold

Harold
Harold46 #1418323 Tue Jul 27 2021 02:22 PM
J
JoeR Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Harold46
Joe,

Be careful. The floor pan I see from JC is the pan that goes between the front seat and the firewall.
https://oldchevytrucks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=1940+floor+pan
In you post you were asking about replacement for the rear corners.
Harold

This is the part I'm looking at https://oldchevytrucks.com/fl304.html I just got off the phone with them asking about the upper grill part. Let's just say it was an interesting experience. It took almost 5 minutes before I was told they do not carry the upper part of the grill with the "Chevrolet" on it. I'm not sure I'm going to order parts from them.

Joe

Attached Files
Carter floor.jpg (15.18 KB, 67 downloads)
JoeR #1418324 Tue Jul 27 2021 02:36 PM
J
JoeR Offline OP
'Bolter
Well now I have to apologize. Looks like this piece is only to cover in front of the seat. I called Classic to Current Fabrication who manufacturers the part. They said it is only the front part of the floor. According to them they can't find a rear floor panel in good enough shape to recreate it in their factory. I guess I'm going to make a trip to Shore Metals and pick up some steel and do some fabrication of my own. Seems strange that no one carries that part.

Joe

JoeR #1418335 Tue Jul 27 2021 04:01 PM
H
'Bolter
Joe,
I'm glad you caught that because it is the same part that JC sells.
It is going to take some sweat and tears to fab these floor corners but it can be done.
It will be a lot easier if have the cab off the frame so you can have good access to the top and bottom at the same time. If you could find a cab with a decent floor in it you could do a transplant

Good luck,
Harold

Harold
JoeR #1418339 Tue Jul 27 2021 04:22 PM
J
JoeR Offline OP
'Bolter
Harold,

This is what's in the front now, so I guess I'm going to need one of those parts anyway. My plans are rapidly turning to pulling it into the garage (my girlfriend has told me that she'd use the small garage giving me the 2 car garage for the work on the '40) and strip it down to the frame and go from there. I've already begun making a spread sheet of the parts I'm going to need and the prices at different suppliers. While I was originally leave the '53 235 in it and try and figure out what the rear end was I am now thinking about finding a 283 or 327 and seeing what it would cost to put in a Mustang II independent front suspension and a 4 link rear suspension. I don't know if I'd need to box the frame with the 283 or 327 so some research is in order. It looks like most of the parts I need are available except that rear floor, but how hard can it be to fabricate?

Joe

Attached Files
Floor 1.jpg (53.6 KB, 57 downloads)
Floor 2.jpg (46.68 KB, 57 downloads)

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop