The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (WE b OLD), 51 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,721
Posts1,006,680
Members45,016
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Horn wire replacement
#1417950 Sat Jul 24 2021 06:19 AM
B
'Bolter
My horn button hasn't been working for some time, and because of the (1947-1954 GMC) shop manual, I've tried a bunch of bypass methods- to no avail. I finally bought the horn wire "thing" from Jim Carter's, but have a question... Will Craftsman's Harmonic balancer/Steering wheel puller (part # 947626) accomplish anything?

Last edited by Baronobeefdip; Sat Jul 24 2021 09:02 AM.
Re: Horn wire replacement
Baronobeefdip #1417958 Sat Jul 24 2021 12:00 PM
B
Curmudgeon
You need to help the forum by using words that better describe. Be specific. "Horn wire thing" doesn't help us understand which part you are talking about.

Will a Craftsman Harmonic Balancer and Steering Wheel Puller "accomplish anything"? Yes, if used correctly, it should help you remove the steering wheel.

Baronobeefdip #1418463 Wed Jul 28 2021 03:38 AM
B
'Bolter
Jim Carter's calls it the steering mast bearing (with horn wire), even though it isn't a bearing- in and of itself. I'm guessing that's because it sits inside a bearing?

Baronobeefdip #1418472 Wed Jul 28 2021 05:05 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I was able to pull the steering wheel off without a puller. Just loosened the nut part way and gave it a tug. That actually kind of surprised me. But just about any steering wheel puller would work. That one you referenced is a bit on the large side. A piece of plate steel with holes drilled in the right places, and a few bolts and nuts would do the trick

Probably the hardest part is getting the old bushing out. I removed the bolts holding the mast to the steering gear (it was out of the truck) and used the end of the shaft to tap the bushing out, being careful not to damage the wire (I plan on reusing it).

But before you replace the wire, try some electrical contact cleaner on the spring loaded contact in the wheel that runs on the bushing. It could be that it's just dirty.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Baronobeefdip #1418569 Thu Jul 29 2021 02:20 AM
B
'Bolter
Klhansen- Without a puller, eh? Nice! Glad to know the one I mentioned is on the large side... Hopefully a tug will work for me also! Will I have to deal with the old bushing, if all I'm doing is replacing the "cup" and wire assembly? I do not, at all, plan on reusing the ORIGINAL wire. Years ago, I lightly sanded the contact, but that only worked for a short time.

I can provide a picture of the "steering mast bearing (with horn wire)" piece, if anyone wants. When I finally saw it, I was shocked!

Baronobeefdip #1418595 Thu Jul 29 2021 05:52 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I'm pretty sure that steering mast bearing that you got includes the bushing I mentioned. I kind of differentiate between a bearing as an anti-friction bearing like roller or ball bearings, and bushings as bearings that use sliding contact surfaces. The steering mast bearing is a bushing per my thought.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Baronobeefdip #1418653 Thu Jul 29 2021 05:52 PM
'Bolter
They have little ball bearings in them.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop