The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (DJMTruck, Alainfrenchie54, 2ManyTrucks, Bob Kirk, Bluesky54, 2 invisible), 129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,766
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chevy 250 running block temp
Steeleygreg #1417607 Wed Jul 21 2021 12:51 PM
S
'Bolter
Agree with the heat exchanger setup. Machine shops around here will not bore an engine that's been raw water cooled. I have two 351's that were in one boat I'm working on which came from the manufacturer that way. It has heat exchangers which function just like a radiator but allow the engine to run anitfreeze. The raw water pumps which pump water into those heat exchangers ain't cheap ! Water flows through the heat exchanger and plumbing runs to the risers which cools it and is exited out the back of the boat. On inboards, the raw water is fed thru a filter, then from my experience runs into a oil cooler for the transmission, then into the heat exchanger and out the back of the boat. The bigger boats 30 to 60 footers are set up this way. Don't forget about the anodes which save the cooling systems from electrolysis degradation along with the prop, strut and rudder.

I happen to have 2 spare 250's which came from a friends 25 boat. They both had heat exchangers. Using these systems makes the engine think it's in a car.

New to Chevy engines. Want to learn more about these old straight inline 6's, for they appear to be bullet proof and smooth.
Steeleygreg #1417619 Wed Jul 21 2021 03:06 PM
H
'Bolter
Fortunately, our fresh water engines don't have to deal with the corrosion problems that cooling with salt or brackish water creates. Ditto for electrolysis, although zinc anodes are included on most of the big boats I've worked with. It's possible to start at Knoxville on the Tennessee river, and travel all the way to New Orleans or the Great Lakes, thanks to the TVA system of lakes and locks.
Doesn't "boat" stand for "Break Out Another Thousand"?
smile smile smile smile
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Steeleygreg #1417733 Thu Jul 22 2021 01:07 PM
S
'Bolter
Yes Jerry, that's exactly what boat stands for. People don't realize what it takes to keep them running much less the expense of working on them. Painting a boat, which I've done use to be $1k per foot. I did one 28 ft and the first time you do it, you'll know why the cost. It ain't a house....... Woodworking on a boat! There isn't one 90 degree angle in a boat. It may look like it, but it isn't. Now if you think that hobbie is expensive try owning an airplane!

New to Chevy engines. Want to learn more about these old straight inline 6's, for they appear to be bullet proof and smooth.
Steeleygreg #1417747 Thu Jul 22 2021 03:08 PM
W
'Bolter
I have nostalgic memories of the Chesapeake, I was born in Harford County and my father worked in Baltimore. I have been away from there except for occasional visits since 1956.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Steeleygreg #1417815 Fri Jul 23 2021 01:28 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Too many unanswered questions here!!!!

1. What kind of boat???
2. Where in Maryland???

:nopics:

Oh yeah ... I guess I am the guy who said no pictures in the Greasy spoon ... blush

Last edited by John Milliman; Fri Jul 23 2021 01:29 AM. Reason: Because I am a hypocritical dope

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Steeleygreg #1417822 Fri Jul 23 2021 02:54 AM
H
'Bolter
At least the majority of us stovebolters aren't wasting our time and money doing something really stupid- - - -like playing golf!
smile
Jerry

John Milliman #1417827 Fri Jul 23 2021 03:36 AM
R
'Bolter
Originally Posted by John Milliman
Oh yeah ... I guess I am the guy who said no pictures in the Greasy spoon ... blush

Maybe time to rethink that?? wink

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

Genie: "I am the genie from a magic lamp and I have the power to grant you three wishes."
Me: "I want to be rich."
Genie: "OK, Rich, what's your second wish?"

Rich'sToys #1417838 Fri Jul 23 2021 10:01 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
Maybe time to rethink that?? wink

You wish wink And subject us all to endless picture's of Ron's cat???

laalaa

And Jerry .... !!! You know I love you like the Grandfather figure you are to me (:) ) but ....

"no hour of life is wasted that is spent on the water … or messing about in boats" - Winston & Ratty.

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Steeleygreg #1417896 Fri Jul 23 2021 07:21 PM
H
'Bolter
Agreed, John- - - -even the late, great Bear Bryant used to love his morning walks- - - -at least until Auburn's football coach tried to run over him with his bass boat!
smile
Jerry

Steeleygreg #1417913 Fri Jul 23 2021 09:26 PM
W
'Bolter
John if you are talking about this Ron, my motto is, No women no pets no worries. thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop