The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, Leo, D B Cooper), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,660
Posts1,006,225
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Back Row All Over Again
tom moore #1417883 Fri Jul 23 2021 05:22 PM
W
'Bolter
I watch a lot of things about the ancients and I don't mean Jerry I am talking about the Incas and the Azteks and many other cultures and marvel at what was accomplished. I don't believe that it was accomplished with primitive tools and I don't know if we will ever know in the short time I have left.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
tom moore #1417914 Fri Jul 23 2021 09:28 PM
D
'Bolter
Hotrod, Dad always preferred a # 1 pencil. A friend of mine can barley read but give him a pencil or welders soap stick and there is no angle that he will get wrong. Ed

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
tom moore #1417926 Sat Jul 24 2021 12:24 AM
T
'Bolter
I agree, #2 pencils are too soft. Constantly sharpening them. However, using a knife edge, limits accumulated 1/16” errors multiplied by the number of times measurements are transcribed. Just saying…

Last edited by tom moore; Sat Jul 24 2021 12:25 AM.
tom moore #1417932 Sat Jul 24 2021 02:28 AM
C
'Bolter
I have a lot of math that was learned before there was such a thing as a hand held calculator. Did have a slide rule. In building cars from chalk marks on the floor trig is the most useful, vectors, geometry, and sometimes calculus fall further down line. With that said, I was never GOOD at math. I have to follow step 1-2-3-4-5 just like in the book while people good at math can jump from 1-3-5, etc. Now we have computer geeks that can can design the whole thing, give a dead accurate material list, and even show the finished machine with the suspension moving through its travel (example #1) and each component has its own color. About the only thing my old time math does now is wow the cashiers when I have the exact amount of the bill, including tax, laid on the counter before they hit the total button. If anyone needs to know the square or cube root I can do it with a pencil and a l-o-n-g piece of butcher paper.

Evan
tom moore #1417942 Sat Jul 24 2021 03:38 AM
'Bolter
One day, my college boy genius son decided that it was time to put his know-it-all dad in his place, so out of the blue without any context, he asks me, "Tangent equals opposite over what?"
I barked out, "Adjacent!" without hesitation.
His jaw about hit the floor, his shoulders slumped, and he slunk away, dejected.
I never took trig in school, but I did have a roommate 40 years ago who had, and he apparently also felt that I needed to be brought down a peg and had asked me the same question, which of course I did not have the answer. He smugIy uttered the correct answer. I called him a name which questioned his/her "orientation" and I never forgot that bit of trigonometry.

tom moore #1417951 Sat Jul 24 2021 09:55 AM
W
'Bolter
Evan, then they still get it wrong because of expediency and cost factors. A prime example is the GMC Canyon that the timing chain needs to be changed at 95000 miles and the whole front assembly needs to be removed at a cost of around $3000.00.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
tom moore #1417956 Sat Jul 24 2021 11:50 AM
P
'Bolter
Tom,

That is good that you took the class regardless of your back row status. Math is a tough subject to teach that few people excel in instruction as it is so abstract. Just think of the "few" good math teachers that you had in your education, they are a rare breed. A practical application as in putting timber frame buildings together is a fantastic way to learn math.

We look forward to seeing your finished project.

Paul

tom moore #1417988 Sat Jul 24 2021 05:12 PM
H
'Bolter
One of my pet peeves when I was in the classroom was having to teach high school students basic skills in math, physics, geometry and chemistry that they were supposed to have learned in elementary and middle school, before I could apply those principles to teaching auto mechanics. I guess the ghetto gangbangers the counselors sent down the hall to the auto shop to keep them away from the "good" students never had a need for any real education before they got to me. Surprise! Some of those wannabe thugs are making a good, honest living with the skills I managed to teach them, and some of the "Advanced Placement" kids are baristas at Starbucks these days!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
tom moore #1418007 Sat Jul 24 2021 08:35 PM
Leo Online
'Bolter
Just like Mark Twain once said, "Don't let schoolin' interfere with your education. "

tom moore #1418255 Mon Jul 26 2021 09:56 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I think calculators are the bane of mankind, they're just crutches that make the population dumber. Full disclosure, though, I do use one from time to time.
I once took my younger daughter to the grocery one morning to buy stuff for breakfast when she was 4 years old. She picked up package of potato patties that had six of them in it and declared "That means we each get one and a half". We still talk about that moment, calling it "food fractions". She can do math in her head and works as an accountant 30 some years later.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop