The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (Hookalatch, fonz8261, Dongray, bsarts, Bruce36 1.5, 1 invisible), 145 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,655
Posts1,006,157
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exploding Battery
#1417731 Thu Jul 22 2021 01:01 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I have a 300 gallon sprayer that fits on the 3point on my tractor. I use it to spray about 40 acres. However there are nooks and crannies that the big rig just can’t get into. I have a 35 gallon lawn sprayer that I usually pull behind my mower but for pasture work I set it in the bed of the Kabota UTV and hang the spray bar off the tailgate with baling wire. I went to start the UTV and the battery was dead. Hooked up the slow charger and left it overnight to fully charge the totally dead battery. Went out this morning in a bit of a hurry because we had dead calm winds, which is a rare occurrence here in windyhoma! Slid in the drivers seat and turned the key to start and the battery exploded! Committed the cardinal sin of not disconnecting the battery charger first. Sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun inside the barn. Now I’ve got a mess to clean up and lost my opportunity to spray without wind not to mention the expense of a new battery.
Plus Ms Kathy left the water running in her garden all day yesterday and all night last night. Water everywhere except in the garden. Water bill will be substantially higher this month.
Hasn’t been a good start to this Thursday. More coffee!

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Re: Exploding Battery
Justhorsenround #1417749 Thu Jul 22 2021 03:49 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
If you were within splashing distance you'll end up with holy clothes too. That could have been really bad in so many ways.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Justhorsenround #1417757 Thu Jul 22 2021 04:49 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Fortunately I was in the seat so I had several layers of plastic and steel between me and the acid. Back when I worked on cars for a living I had one blow up in my face. Good thing I had safety glasses on and a water hose was right there. Did end up with holes in my clothes. Tiny, you are so right, it could have been much worse than a $140 battery.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Justhorsenround #1417758 Thu Jul 22 2021 05:02 PM
H
'Bolter
I made the mistake of disconnecting a battery charger without shutting it off- - - - -once! That tiny spark at the terminal connection was all it took to destroy a good battery and create a huge mess in the process. My first full time job after high school was working in a battery factory in Nashville the summer before heading off to engineering school. i witnessed the result of two D-8 series 12 volt batteries (120 pounds each of lead and acid) getting shorted together by the terminals that hung over the ends of each battery touching each other on a conveyor line. 24 volts and a couple of thousand amps of dead short created a fireworks show and a hydrogen gas explosion of epic proportions!

When boost starting a vehicle with a dead battery, always make the final connection away from the battery, so any fumes around the top of the battery doing the boosting don't ignite. I always taught my students to connect the hot posts at both batteries first, and use the engine block or alternator housing of both vehicles as the ground circuit. That makes the last connection on both vehicles away from any battery gases that might be present.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Justhorsenround #1417799 Thu Jul 22 2021 11:09 PM
M
'Bolter
Glad it wasn't a Very Bad day Martin. Back in my Safety Training days, we taught to Always put cables on the dead battery first, and disconnect from that battery last. As mentioned, sparks and hydrogen gas can cause a spectacular and dangerous show.

RonR.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Justhorsenround #1417813 Fri Jul 23 2021 01:19 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
All the technical stuff aside, the main thing I learned from my time as a farmer -- if ya ain't breaking anything, ya ain't farmin'.

The trick is to know how to persevere, adapt and keep going. Whatever the task, git 'er dun!

And yes, it means some days (too many...) you don't finish until shortly before the sun comes back up ...

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Justhorsenround #1417918 Fri Jul 23 2021 09:44 PM
D
'Bolter
Yup, the coffee gets worse and strong after the second dawn. So glad to hear only your pride took a hit Martin. That's when I usually get back to counting my blessings. Ed

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop