The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Bolter Finally, Achipmunk, DennisM, Alainfrenchie54, Cletus1950, 2ManyTrucks, 1 invisible), 135 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,614
Posts1,005,764
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1 Ton dually rear drum swap
#1417741 Thu Jul 22 2021 02:22 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
Hey folks,
My rear drums and brakes are currently ok, but I've been preparing for when they may need to be addressed.
According to this tech article: https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/axles/1%20Ton%20Upgrade/ the authors mention:
All HO52/72 rears can use any year of brakes. So a dual rear wheel rear brake system from 72 bolts in place of a 47 DRW system. Plus, almost all 14 bolt from 73-2006 brake system will work also. Wow, so you can ditch those Huck brakes at the same time ... smile
I have a dually with the HO72. If I'm reading this correctly, does that mean I can have a modern set of of rear drums if I can source all the parts from a 90's 3/4 or 1 Ton?
When I got new 19.5" rims, I had clearance issues with my stock rear drums, so I started playing around with this. The 90's dually drums are way too wide. They fit the on the hub perfectly and clear the rim, but extend way back almost to reach the leaf springs.
The backing plate also fits perfectly. I tried using a single wheel drum, but it didn't clear the rim, so I didn't pursue checking axle clearance. I ended up using a wheel spacer to make the rims clear the original drum.
I'm thinking about experimenting with this again. It would be nice to have rear brakes that use parts that are more plentiful.
Before I embark on finding parts and stuff, has anyone done this? Can you just bolt up a full set of rear drums from a 14bolt on an HO72? Any tips?
Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom!
Greg

Re: 1 Ton dually rear drum swap
xgregx #1417768 Thu Jul 22 2021 07:08 PM
H
'Bolter
I think I'll let someone with a little more hands-on experience with this swap open up that can of worms. To the best of my limited knowledge of the situation, there are some issues concerning the diameter and width of brake drums, clearance between the spring leaves and the backing plates, and some issues with parking brake linkage if the donor brake system has the parking brake incorporated into the rear wheels rather that at the back of the transmission. It's definitely not a bolt-on swap.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
xgregx #1417771 Thu Jul 22 2021 07:42 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks Jerry - I figured if it was an easy swap there would already be an article on how to do it. Who knows - there's a first time for everything. I'll see if anyone else weighs in.
Greg

xgregx #1417778 Thu Jul 22 2021 08:12 PM
W
'Bolter
The 72 on back used the HO52/72 rear ends. 73 up used a different rear end. The 72 back parts are more likely to interchange with the earlier models.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
xgregx #1417855 Fri Jul 23 2021 01:05 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks George. I guess the easier question is - what pre '73 parts do I need to convert to not so obsolete drums? Seems like the drum back plate is not readily available from most parts places, but it seems like you can get drums, shoes, hardware etc. If I can find the right back plates it seems like I can swap over to a '72-ish rear drum setup. Is that accurate?

xgregx #1417878 Fri Jul 23 2021 04:42 PM
W
'Bolter
I am not that familiar to know just what interchanges. There are many options on these brakes. The backing plates will have to be bought used. Some drums are not available new.
George

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; Sat Jul 24 2021 03:00 PM. Reason: New instead of used.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
xgregx #1417882 Fri Jul 23 2021 05:21 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
I think I found some used backing plates with all the hardware attached. I'm going to look into those more. New drums and stuff for that year of truck seem pretty easy to find. This might be promising. Thanks for the info!
Greg

xgregx #1417893 Fri Jul 23 2021 07:07 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
As Jerry said in the first response, it appears these backing plates I found are for trucks with the parking brake on the transmission. They might work but now I'd have to figure out what to do for a parking brake. Hmm, more to ponder.

xgregx #1417895 Fri Jul 23 2021 07:17 PM
H
'Bolter
You could carry a big block V8 and a length of chain, and "Drop Anchor"!
smile
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
xgregx #1417900 Fri Jul 23 2021 08:03 PM
X
xgregx Offline OP
'Bolter
Heheeh yeah really smile Maybe carry around some rubber chocks. As is the parking brake pawl is pretty worn, so often times if you bump it it releases anyway. I don't trust it to hold any place where leaving the trans in gear wouldn't stop the truck from moving, haah. THe drop anchor method might actually be an improvement!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop