The Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!


for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (flx261, garybauer, Goach2, 3B, 2and4wheels, 2 invisible), 134 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
splash guard under radiator
#1417661 Wed Jul 21 2021 10:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 294
Today I noticed that the Classic Industries catalog shows a large sheet metal panel that they show installed directly beneath the radiator support frame, for 47 thru 54 pickup trucks. I know that my 53 half ton did not have one in it when I bought it. I looked in the FAM manual and I could not find any reference to it. I looked in the Jim Carter's catalog, and found NO reference to it there either. Classic Industries calls it a "radiator support". I would call it a splash guard. I guess my question is: did this part actually exist in the original 3100 AD trucks? Their picture makes it look like it sandwiched between the crossmember and the radiator support. It appears to span from one frame rail to the other, and extends in front of and behind the radiator. Please advise.

Re: splash guard under radiator
Mike Burns #1417662 Wed Jul 21 2021 10:42 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,366
Sir Searchalot
Give us the Classic part number. 61-712 ? Yes, correct for 53. Should be called "Grille Support". 47-53........... NOT 47-54. That one is GMC ONLY. 61-712G

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

Re: splash guard under radiator
Mike Burns #1417688 Thu Jul 22 2021 12:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 9,796
You need one. It forces air through the radiator. I call it a lower baffle.

Re: splash guard under radiator
Mike Burns #1417708 Thu Jul 22 2021 04:53 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,270
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Here's that part from Classic Industries Link []. I believe other vendors carry them also. (LMC PN 38-8940 - they call it a Grill Support Panel)
They say fitment is 47-53. The FAM shows only 54 front sheet metal, which is probably why you couldn't find it.
The bottom of your grille bolts to it, and like the other guys said, you need one. You might be able to get an original from one of the members. Try posting in the Swap Meet.

Last edited by klhansen; Thu Jul 22 2021 05:03 AM.

First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos []
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: splash guard under radiator
Mike Burns #1417729 Thu Jul 22 2021 12:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 294
Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4